Prs Silver sky se experience anyone?

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I ordered one and sent it right back, I didn't bond with it at all. Honestly just felt cheap to me. I've owned other PRS guitars SEs and USA models. I've played a USA Silver Sky, no comparison in quality but they cost a LOT more.
And I've owned a LOT of Strats.
I bought a SIRE S7 instead, it was cheaper and much better build quality with more features IMHO.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
If i remember correctly, they use non traditional woods on the SS SE, so if you want strat sound i'd look elsewhere. I know some say theres no tone difference in wood species but there is and it's substantial in many cases.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The SE Silver Sky is made of poplar. Carvin (and other makers) used poplar for most all of their solid-color guitars for many years; as a guitar wood goes, it's a little bit heavier and slightly softer, but in general it's virtually identical to alder.

Wood-------Spec Grav------Weight-------Janka#
Poplar---------0.43-----------29.2---------540
Alder----------0.45-----------28.0---------590

robistro

TDPRI Member
There are probably hundreds of videos on this guitar out. I have one, and love it. Mostly due to the neck, but it also sounds good and its light. I also like the trem system.

I don't like the plastic tuning keys, or truss rod cover. The truss rod cover stays off of most of my guitars and I have no problems with it staying in tune.

ymmv. you really need to find one out
in the wild

My mim strat now sits in the rack

Last edited:

eddiewagner

Poster Extraordinaire
I ordered one and sent it right back, I didn't bond with it at all. Honestly just felt cheap to me. I've owned other PRS guitars SE
Exactly what I did. 5 minutes and I knew it’s not for me. No compassion to my Korean SE. A tuningpeg did not sit right in the wood, the fretends so lala. Thanks god thomann has a fair return policy.

robistro

TDPRI Member
Exactly what I did. 5 minutes and I knew it’s not for me. No compassion to my Korean SE. A tuningpeg did not sit right in the wood, the fretends so lala. Thanks god thomann has a fair return policy.

Fret ends ?
how many guitars in the price range of the PRS have fret ends like this ?

This is compared to a Les Paul

fret ends.jpg

kuch

Friend of Leo's
I'm just an old guy who's been buying and selling guitars and amps for years so take it as you may....

when did we get to the point where a non USA guitar without a hsc costs $850??

Martocaster

Tele-Meister
Fret ends ?
how many guitars in the price range of the PRS have fret ends like this ?

This is compared to a Les Paul

View attachment 1058110
My MiJ Tele has fret ends like that. It made me think the same thing, why don't more expensive guitars have fretwork as good as that?

The only issue I have with the SS SE is the plastics. The pickup covers / knobs are a slightly different colour to the pickguard and the white of all of them somehow looks really cheap. It really let it down to me, made it look like those starter pack guitars in Toys R Us in the '90s.