PRS Silver Sky, one year later.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was totally convinced that hated guitars with a 7.25” radius. I was also convinced that I hated it because it was useless, and that a guitar that had a 7.25” radius was not capable of what I consider a fast, smooth, and comfy setup.

Turns out it’s not the radius that causes 99% of them to play like garbage, it’s the fretwork. If you level the frets correctly, it’s not an issue. PRS figured it out and it plays amazingly well.
PRS seemingly has figured out a LOT, in terms of playability

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I haven't tried a Cruiser but highly recommend the HS-2 wired as a single coil (top coil only). It's A5, and mates well with the '54 middle and neck pickups in my strat, a bit hotter but not overpowering. It's the bridge pickup EJ made his bones with.

I've played a couple of Silver Sky's over the past year and am impressed with the attention to detail. Also, I'm still using the 275k volume pot from your earlier thread. I like to think it gives my strat a bit of the SS's unique voice.

also the bridge pickup EJ made his bones with.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
PRS seemingly has figured out a LOT
Some people don’t like Paul. I love to listen to him talk and watch his videos. He’s a really odd duck, for sure. I can see why people find him off-putting. But I think I understand him better than some folks do, perhaps because in some ways we’re coming from the same place on some things.

Dude is absolutely obsessed with how guitars work and why they do what they do. He’s also obsessed with manipulating those things and seeing how he can steer it. One of the coolest things about PRS is that they aren’t handcuffed by tradition like Fender and Gibson are. They don’t have to be faithful to archaic and outdated designs for fear of losing their base if they stretch out. The whole basis of the company was the evolution and improvement of traditional design.

I love that Paul will just shake stuff up for no other reason than to just see what happens if he tweaks this or that a degree or two. I also love that he pretty much openly laughs at the haters and pokes them with sticks for fun.

I met him once way back in the 90’s. Dude is a bonafide guitar nerd of the highest order. He’s like a little kid with this stuff. He gets giddy at the idea of a new pickup wind or new way to take one of his instruments. Every tiny discovery about how or why something works brings him actual joy. He didn’t start building guitars to become a worldwide sensation and make millions of dollars. He did it because he freakin loves guitars and wanted to make the best ones ever.

I get that people have issues with the image, but I don’t think it’s his fault. That’s like all the people who are convinced they hate SRV, or that he sucked, because they’ve been beat over the head for thirty years by middle aged guys at jam night wearing Hawaiian shirts and riding their neck pickup with a tube screamer the whole time. Those guys definitely make me roll my eyes. But I can’t really blame SRV for his Vaughn-a-bes, and we shouldn’t blame Paul for making guitars that lots of dentists and lawyers want to own. He also sells a lot of them to very fine pro players who can buy whatever the heck they please, and choose his.

Last edited:

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
I have not. But I have been really curious. Andy Timmons uses the bridge model Cruiser in the neck and mid positions on his sig guitar. We have vastly different styles, but I like a lot of his sounds. I’d like to try a strat with three cruisers in it. Could be really fun.

I had thought about this setup for my SRV sig. The older I get, the less I can stand the hum.

Looking at the tone profiles, it looks like a Cruiser T would be an awesome tele bridge pickup. Did they ever have one?

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
The Silver Sky SE is also a fine guitar and the radius is 8.5, if that is of concern to all.
Fret work is primo and pickups are very musical. Still love Fender Stratocasters,
and always will.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had thought about this setup for my SRV sig. The older I get, the less I can stand the hum.

Looking at the tone profiles, it looks like a Cruiser T would be an awesome tele bridge pickup. Did they ever have one?
I have not tried the cruiser T. But I certainly would. I have no reason to think it wouldn’t be as cool as the Strat version. Usually if I go with something like that in a Tele though, it’s the SD Hot Stack Lead. That pickup is just crazy good (for me) in a Tele.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Some people don’t like Paul. I love to listen to him talk and watch his videos. He’s a really odd duck, for sure.

Paul is a complete (complete) guitar nerd. He's not at all arrogant or otherwise stuck up about his fame. He's a normal guy--if you can consider a total geek "normal." He simply gets excited about everything guitar.