1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

PRS SE Singlecut?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Scottz, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I'm going to meetup with a seller on Wednesday to look at a 2014 PRS SE Singlecut with a really good price. I was wondering if anyone here has one or has played one and can give me some feedback on it.

2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

I have played quite a few, including the Zach Myers semi hollow. I like the shape, but I'd have to change out the pickups (like most of the SEs I've played).

The neck was pretty hefty, but the heel allowed for decent upper fret access.

Overall it felt like an lp with a big thick neck. I don't personally enjoy the prs wraparound bridges that you can't intonate, but that's not a deal breaker.

3. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I had one with a trem. Loved the thick-ish neck. The body felt a bit slim in depth. Sold it for no special reason, just could use the money.

4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I have a PRS SE Bernie Marsden single cut and I love it.
    The only changes that I've made have been Schaller strap-locks, Gotoh locking tuners ('cause I like locking tuners) and chrome covers for the pickups ('cause it looks better). Nothing strictly necessary.

5. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

There was a PRS model just called the SE Singlecut — which iirc had one volume and one tone, not sure what scale length. It was replaced a good while ago (2012? 2013?) by the PRS SE245 which has two volumes & two tones, so a 2014 guitar should be an SE245, or the semi-hollow version (the Zach Myers), or the Bernie Marsden - which has an even fatter neck, two volumes and one tone. All very playable guitars IMHO, all with a 24.5” scale length (pretty much the same as Les Paul scale).
    I’ve got a 2014 SE245 in Vintage Yellow. Very nice guitar, good Wide Fat neck, very comfortable in the hand, 10” fretboard radius. The pickups are pretty clear and full but hava lot of top-end also. Like @omahaaudio I put on pickup covers (nickel in my case) because I don’t like the zebra humbuckers it came with.
    IMHO the tailpiece is not a problem at all. With 9s or 10s you can get the intonation very close indeed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had one.
    It was a really nice guitar.
    Mine was a “pre lawsuit” model, with the wraptail bridge.
    I ultimately did not bond with it.
    I would like to try one of the newer mosels with the bound neck and stop and tuneamatic.

7. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

The one I'll be looking at is the 1 tone 1 volume Singlecut .Scale length is 25".

8. AAT65

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2017 245SE Standard single cut. As others have said, it has a big neck.
    I changed the pickups to GFS Mean 90s.
    VERY nice playing/sounding guitar.
    This is my third SE. The last two I sold because I couldn't get used to such manly necks. For whatever reason, the newer SE's neck works for me. The previous SEs were from ~10-12 years ago so maybe the necks were different?
    PRS SEs are nice guitars. I didn't like the pickups but you may.

Mark

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's all personal taste. I think the original non-intonatable PRS wraparound is my favorite bridge. Intonates great, zero moving parts, very nice for palm muting. I have two PRS (not a singlecut) and I love them both. High quality for the money. If somebody needed one solid guitar for maybe $300, a good used PRS SE would be my first rec.

11. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

He said he bought it new from MF in 2014, maybe it was NOS then. There is another locally where the ad shows the serial number and it is a 2012 model, same control set up as this one. The pic below is the one I will be checking out.

00p0p_9mob7v3PSiS_1200x900.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. AAT65

OK 2012 seems possible for sure — and it could easily be with a dealer a year or more: after I’d bought my SE245 the local shop had an identical one for at least a year.
    It will be a very nice guitar anyway, that is my prediction.

13. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I currently own an SE Singlecut as well as a Zach Myers and 2 Bernie Marsdens. I love them all.

The Singlecut is 25 inch scale as you said, and also has a thinner body (the typical PRS thickness). The other three are all 24.75 scale and thicker LP style bodies.

The one you're looking at may well have been a NOS. I know where there is a NOS for sale right now. They do exist.

14. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

One odd thing as I've been searching online is I can't find any examples with the same headstock logo as this one.

00P0P_f7xN6auQQ3N_1200x900.jpg

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I have more than one of those SE Singlecuts and a double cut....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Generally,
    The pickups are fine (tweak the caps and pots instead) but people jump to swap pickups.
    Some have push/pull pickup splits, some have pickups built with extra wire to split but no push/pull pot (so easy to convert), some just two wire pickups and no splits.

22 fret models will sound more LP while 24 fret models sound more SG style due to pickup placements.

The SEs are a great value all around.

16. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I really like the sound in the YouTube clips I've watched. Seems brighter than an LP but lots of snarl. I recently replaced my AC4 with a Marshall DSL5C and need something with humbuckers time go with it.

17. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

The singlecuts will have an LP like feel (similar body shape) and most I've tried will have a pretty big neck (I think they call it wide/fat).
    I've got two SE's. One is a Custom 24 and the other a Semi Hollow Custom 22.
    The 24 has the wide/thin which I didn't care for at first, the Semi Hollow a wide/fat. I ended up swapping the pickups for Seymour Duncan Seth Lover humbuckers. Really nice guitars (after pickup swap) and I'm not a humbucker fan.
    SE's are great bargains. The wrap tailpieces are well designed and nearly perfectly intonated with 10-46's.

Attached Files:

Mincer likes this.
  18. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I’d rock the snot out of that.

19. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have two of these style guitars

Both modded, one more than the other.

[​IMG]

Red Soapbar SE Singlecut, with added mini humbuckers, bone nut and swapped round controls.

Tremonti, with added Warman neck pickup, nickel covers and stripped front.

Love the necks on these, nice and chunky.

I'd love a Bernie Marsden model, I've played a couple and loved them.

20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

I used to have this one; they are a great value in a used solidbody.

iPhone photoroll 1.jpg

studio1087 and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.