PRS SE Santana - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Levi Gonzalez, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Levi Gonzalez

Levi Gonzalez Tele-Meister

I'm talking about the PRS SE Santana Sig. guitars.

All the demo's online I have seen look very nice. Really nice sounding pickups.

I wonder if I should by an Epi 1956 LP or save a couple hundred more for the Santana...

2. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

The quality and playability of the SE's, seem as good or better than what I see from Gibson, USA. When I went to the guitar store to buy a Santana SE, I found a great deal on a Starla. I'm a rockabilly player, and it suited my style of playing, better.

You can't go wrong, with the Santana SE. They sound good, play great, and have a great tremelo.

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned a couple of PRS SE series guitars and while they played fantastic and sounded really good, none had the MOJO, they were, dare I say it generic. They were good but not stand outs.

4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I would consider PRS SE's to be a step up from Epiphones.

5. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

PRS means "no mojo, no soul, not a guitar I have ever wanted to own." To each his own, but that's my take on them.

6. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Se,s are the best bang for buck guitar out there imo. Much more mojo than Epi's. I have a PRS SC 250 and I sold my SE one. I still miss it. Get the Santana.

7. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

I've played one and it was very comfortable and easy to play. I think the lack of mojo, whatever that is, might be due to the fact that they don't sound like the (now) classic designs we all know, love and grew up listening to. That doesn't mean that the tone of a PRS can't be your tone though...
    The reason that PRS guitars turn me off is all the 'private stock' stuff, the connoisseur vibe that the company has decided to use in its marketing. But like I said, the Santana SE that I played was very easy to play - terrific neck.

8. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Tele-Meister

Thought they were decent. Been toying with getting a korina se one with p90s.

9. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

I own the PRS Santana SE. I have to say the quality is great. The scale is shorter and the neck is wide. I find it a very comfortable guitar to play unless you are sitting down playing, then it seems unbalanced sitting on my right leg. I have three humbucker guitars, a Taylor Solidbody Custom, a ESP LTD EC-256, and the Santana SE. Never really liked the Taylor but it was a birthday present so have to keep it. It just has never been set-up right and a tech has to set it up because of that crazy bridge. The EC-256 is very light weight and plays nice, though the big frets take some getting used to.

I find the Santana SE the easiest to play of the three. it only needed a truss rod tweaking to get it in perfect playing condition. I think the stock pickups are more than adequate, but I don't really like the look of the zebra pickups. I have a used jazz/jb set to put in it with some triple shot rings, which I've had for while and just haven't felt compelled to install. The stock guitar really is nice.

"mojo" well it is true of any guitar you try, it is either there or not and has nothing to do with the brand but everything to do with you and that specific guitar.

10. Schmikey

Schmikey Tele-Holic

I bought a PRS SE singlecut korina off eBay this past summer. I got it for $300, and it was practically brand new. Very nice guitar, excellent quality and craftsmanship.

I don't love it the way I do with my MIM strat and tele, but that may come with time. I'm considering upgrading the pups on it.

I too am turned off by the elitism of some of the PRS marketing, but you can get some of that with any brand, including Fender.

11. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt TDPRI Member

I have a Custom 22 I picked up on CL cheap. I don't really know what "mojo" is, but this thing plays and sounds great. both clean and under heavy distortion/fuzz. I've done some upgrades to it, replaced the plastic nut with a Black Tusq, locking tuners, Chrome pickup covers. I like mine a lot.

here is an old pic from the day I got it.
    [​IMG]

12. chilipepper205

chilipepper205 Tele-Meister

I think that PRS SE guitars are great quality for the money. I have played a few that are not as good, but overall they are good guitars.

13. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Dunno bout the Santana as HBs are not what I need right now.

I would have any of the soapbar singlecuts for the right price, and an SE One would do me well.(but I'd add a tone control)

For now I'll stick with my Melody Maker RI and my LP Jnr G.A.S.

14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I've had my PRS Santana SE for about a month and I just can't play it enough. the fit and finish are superb. Everything just feels so smooooth. I restrung mine with 10's so I had to adjust the set up. This is my rock n roll crunch machine so I'm not looking for it to do everything. As another post noted, sitting down with it is a little awkward, an angled plug is a must for sitting on a bed or couch.

[​IMG]

15. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

Played this guitar and it is amazing if you can get over the name on the headstock (not PRS) sounds great and plays like butter...imagine that its a PRS!!!

16. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

Tried the Santana SE and loved it, but, it was too close to my Nighthawk so had to pass. Got an SE One with soapbar instead. That is one rock-n-roll machine! (Does require a bit of EQ and setting changes on the Tweaker to get the best sound, though.)

17. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I like mine. I think it's a good guitar for the money.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think they're very good guitars.

I had the first Santana SE. It's on the right below.....

[​IMG]

The fit & finish was great. The fat wide neck played really well. The tremolo was one of the smoothest tremolos that I've ever played. The pickups sounded like good meaty humbuckers. I hear this "no mojo" or "no unique tone" stuff and I don't get it.

You're supposed to bring the mojo.

I would choose an SE over an Epi.

19. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

I bought an SE singlecut Korina just last week, and it is a fabulous guitar. Everything I want and nothing I don't want. I'll swap out the pickups but this guitar is for keeps.

Highly recommend you look at the SE. I don't go for the PRS bling but if you find an understated model they sure know how to make a fine instrument.

Attached Files:

20. gguitar55

gguitar55 Tele-Meister

I have a PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut. I think it's the cheapest guitar I own. It also has the best neck and tuners of all the guitars I have including my Eric Johnson Strat. The P90 type pickups rock. Really good looking mahogany on the body too.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.