PRS SE One

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LarryM, Jan 29, 2011.

1. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

That 1 Pick up Guitar thread got me going on these - never saw one before.
    For the price it looks like you can't go wrong....
    Has anyone played/owned one of these?

Attached Files:

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Lots of people love those but to me they always looked like a slightly deformed Les Paul of some sort, but then I suppose that was their aim.

3. Mrmegas

Mrmegas Tele-Meister

I think you should get a Gibson les Paul junior cause prs is ripping u off

4. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

They do look a little strange, but you can get the Santana version and then it might not look so bad. Nope... still looks strange. Probably sounds and plays good though.

I'd go for the telecaster esquire if I was going to do a one pick up guitar. Or do a P-Rail with a triple-shot and really have a versatile one pick-up guitar.

Attached Files:

5. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I looked into them but some reviews said the pickup is a little smaller than a normal p90. I have an addiction to modding my guitars so thats no good for me

6. jimbojo

jimbojo Tele-Meister

I've been GASing for one of these, there are a lot of guys who mod the SE's.

7. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

one thing that's always bugged me about PRS is the placement of the chamfer on the front of the lower horn.

Why he doesn't put it on the back, where it would actually serve some purpose is a mystery to me...plus it can look pretty ordinary with some of the laminated top models....like the semi hollow one.

I'd prefer a les paul junior.

8. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Sure, it's not a LP JR., but @ $400, why is it a rip off?

9. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a new one in sunburst. It was OK, but it needed upgrades to be a keeper: the stock nut has to be replaced, and the pickup doesn't compare to a real P-90 in any way, so it has to go, too. I traded it in on a Super Champ XD.

10. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

This makes me think of the Traveling Wilburys Gretsches
    (and not in a good way)

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

My buddy was playing slide on one of these at his gig last night. It's the only non- USA built (Korean) guitar he has owned. P90 sounds great- although he does have the best collection of 50s and 60s fender amps I've ever seen.............

12. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Paul seems to have some odd notions about what goes on around the neck/body join of his guitars. It's one of the main things that puts me off PRS guitars. That huge flat heel on many of their necks for instance.

It wood...why doesn't he just cut it so the pieces go together with some sort of continuity instead of having all those edges and corners?

The PRS One would be a better design if it had a tone control, IMO. In my experience it's on a single P90 guitar where the tone control is most needed.

13. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

They're pretty fun as long as you get away from thinking they're a budget priced LPJ. I've had one for a couple of years and really like it. In fact, a local shop has the discontinued ones clearing out for a song....thinking about one in the other colour. Of course would probably mod with a Lollar P-90 and a push-pull to get some sort of tone control.
    Twang factor on these is about midway between bridge pickups on my AVRI and Hwy One, and a little more high-end jangle than the Mega 'trons on my Corvette. Pretty growly with a touch of gain. Mine's mahogany, can't comment on how the Korina bodied ones sound different.

14. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

A neighborhood kid brought one over 'cause he busted the jack.Very nice guitar played and sounded very good at my basement shop sound level.This was out of the box no work had been done on it.Pretty nice guitar.

15. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Tried one in a shop and thought it was a great, nice looking, and comfortable player. Had I bought it, I would have replaced the pickup with a better P-90, but for the dollar it was a pretty good axe.

peace, Mike.

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got one, and I love it.

The single control thing is pretty cool - and I don't know how they did it, but when you roll off the volume the pickup goes from the P-90 sound to something approaching a Tele bridge pickup. Cleans up incredibly well with just about zero loss of high end.

Too bad they're discontinued now. They decided to re-christen them as the 'Santana Abraxas' model with the white paint and graphics from the album - and they list for $200 more than the SE One did.

A friend has got one in Cherry and he knows how much I like my sunburst one, so he's trying to sell his to me. I might take him up on it, because he's only asking $200 for it and I could do a lot worse for the 2 bills.

- D

17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I had one and just sold it. It's a great guitar for the money and as strangerny says the volume pot is terrific , it really does sound like a different instrument when you turn it down. It set up great and had a really nice fat neck. I bought a expensive single cut PRS (SC 250) and I just wasn't playing the Korean guitar any more so I sold it but it's a great alternative to a LP Jr. I think the pickup is great. I wouldn't change anything on it at all. IMO

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's the same one I've got! I replaced the knob with a Gibby reflector - and that's about all the modding I'm planning on doing to it. :)

- D

19. cotecj

cotecj Tele-Holic

I've got the Korina SE One you show. Best playing guitar I've ever had my hands on, and it's absolutely gorgeous in real life, better than the pictures show. The only complaint I have is that the neck is a little thinner than I would prefer, but not to the point where I don't like it.

I also changed the knob. I put a standard Gibson speed knob on it. I also clipped the treble bleed cap on the volume control. With only a volume control, I like to be able to control the tone by turning the volume down a bit.

20. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I freakin' love mine. Roll the volume all the way up and its nice and crunchy, roll it back and it smooths it out. I can EQ the tone on my amp better than I probably could with a tone control anyway. from what I've read about them on forums, theres enough of a cavity under the pg to add a tone pot if you really want one.

I play a lot of Social Distortion/Johnny Thunders style stuff, and this guitar can match those tones really well. I also play a lot of Keef, and I can get some Tele-ish sounds when I back off on the volume.

Love the shape of the neck, wide at the nut without much taper to it. I have fat fingers and I play chords all over the neck when I'm in open G so its good to have a fairly uniform fretboard width. My only gripe with the neck is that there's not much real estate on the headstock to clamp my capo to when I'm not using it.

One thing about single pickup guitars is that you can get different tones out of them by variations in your picking attack. You can pick the strings closer to the bridge and get thin, shrill sounds. Picking closer to the neck will have a fatter, darker sound.

I usually mod my guitars but I can't think of anything this one needs really. The tuning heads are nice die-cast pieces, the stopbar bridge has dead-on intonation and is really comfortable for mutes, hell even the strap buttons are the oversized ones. I might switch it to a bone nut in the future, but thats about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.