PRS S2 vs CE24

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by justin.ramsey, Jan 17, 2020.

1. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

PRS players! What have you experienced quality wise differences between a CE24 and a S2 model? Thinking of picking up a new axe and wanting to see if there's a big quality gap between the S2 series and the CE24.

2. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I’ve had the S2 Custom 22 for six years. Only changed the trem block.

Last summer I tried the CE24 and really liked it. Playability, pickup tones all seemed like a notch up. Very nice guitars.

A word of warning - Since playing the S2 I have tried many guitars and none feel as good as PRS. Which is a bit annoying because I would like some different vibes.

The new S2 McCarty look nice.

justin.ramsey likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I own an S2 Vela and I've played a few of the current CEs - I agree with @Sean65 that the CE-24 is a step up from them, particularly the pickups as they are the same as the Core series.

But I also have looked at the current CE24 through the lens of having owned an original CE Maple Top from 1992-1998 - the originals were equal to what we would call the "Core" line of the time. That is a mistake; you have to view the current CE24 as it's own thing, and PRS put it in-between the S2s and the Core models and it fills that role nicely. For the $2K I would kind of like for the CE24 to come with the Core tremolo, but I'm still okay with all the more S2 touches (tuners, how they make the neck, S2/SE tremolo).

justin.ramsey likes this.
  4. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I have a CE24 incoming. We shall see how much better it is soon

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.