PRS S2 vs CE24

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by justin.ramsey, Jan 17, 2020.

1. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

PRS players! What have you experienced quality wise differences between a CE24 and a S2 model? Thinking of picking up a new axe and wanting to see if there's a big quality gap between the S2 series and the CE24.

2. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I’ve had the S2 Custom 22 for six years. Only changed the trem block.

Last summer I tried the CE24 and really liked it. Playability, pickup tones all seemed like a notch up. Very nice guitars.

A word of warning - Since playing the S2 I have tried many guitars and none feel as good as PRS. Which is a bit annoying because I would like some different vibes.

The new S2 McCarty look nice.

justin.ramsey likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I own an S2 Vela and I've played a few of the current CEs - I agree with @Sean65 that the CE-24 is a step up from them, particularly the pickups as they are the same as the Core series.

But I also have looked at the current CE24 through the lens of having owned an original CE Maple Top from 1992-1998 - the originals were equal to what we would call the "Core" line of the time. That is a mistake; you have to view the current CE24 as it's own thing, and PRS put it in-between the S2s and the Core models and it fills that role nicely. For the $2K I would kind of like for the CE24 to come with the Core tremolo, but I'm still okay with all the more S2 touches (tuners, how they make the neck, S2/SE tremolo).

justin.ramsey likes this.
  4. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I have a CE24 incoming. We shall see how much better it is soon

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.