1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

PRS S2 Opinions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by lineboat, Jan 5, 2019.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I played an S2 singlecut, and I’m kinda interested in it. The neck seemed a tad chunky, but not massive.
    It sounded really good, played well, but I only had a few minutes with it. What’re all of y’alls opinions on the S2 line?

I don’t know if I’m looking for someone to talk me into it or out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

MuddyDitch likes this.
  2. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Tele-Meister

My first real PRS was an S2 C22 Semi Hollow, beautiful guitar, played well, the S2 are mid line in neck shape. Since getting the S2 I have gotten a NOS 2013 Korina McCarty soapbar with Artist package up grades, and a 05 CE 24.....paid significantly less for the core models used than the S2 new.....I no longer have the S2, and took pretty significant hit when I sold her.....Everyone loved it, and I did get some decent trade offers but alas nothing I was in the market for. IMO , I say be patient and wait for a steal of a deal on a core model, they pop up every now and again.

My S2 C22 SH

[​IMG]

My McCarty

[​IMG]

05 CE 24

[​IMG]

and lastly my on the way SE Tonare T60E

[​IMG]

,different beast altogether and hoping for great things....if she plays and feels half as good as she looks......

3. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

They are nice guitars, but not great value new. They use the import pickups and hardware on the S2 line, so they’re more like SE models with slightly better wood, made in Maryland.

If you are set on buying new, I would be more inclined to buy an SE and upgrade the pickups and tuners, or go on the hunt for a nice second-hand “core” model. The S2 guitars aren’t a bad deal used, but again, not the best value, in my opinion.

nicknklv and lineboat like this.
  4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Those are super sharp!

5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I think I will look around for a used Core model. This S2 is used as well, but it’s same as new. I believe it can be bought at a good price, but maybe it would be best to wait. I can’t knock it though. It sure felt nice!

6. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Tele-Meister

I bought my S2 new for around $1500....sold for $900
    Got my McCarty Korina/Brazilian board and artist upgrades NOS for $1450
    Got the 25'th ann CE 24 for $1050

and the SE acoustic is purchased new at a grand....never thought I'd spend that on a Chinese guitar, but I fell in love hard....should get here Monday!

lineboat likes this.
  7. Basplr

Basplr TDPRI Member

I love my S2 satin standard 24. The fretwork is impeccable, and the tuners & nut are a big step up from SE models. The neck is almost chunky and just a dream to play. I did pick it up for less than a new SE, but if I lost it I'd be tempted to pay new prices for the same guitar.

MuddyDitch and lineboat like this.
  8. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

My PRS S2 Singlecut plays and sounds amazing. I bought it used for $700, and consider that a great value. I've seen used S2's on Reverb and Guitar Center online for similar prices.

IMG_0789.JPG

MuddyDitch, lineboat and darren7 like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the S2 Velas on my short list...

Since 75% of the players go on forums with any guitar they buy high or low price and exclaim "I just upgraded the pickups!" then the S2 MIA chassis/import pickups line makes a lot of sense for most players. If you are going to auto swap out the pickups anyway to your favorite brand, just get the S2 and have at it.

The SE model line is a huge value though, so make sure you check those out.

lineboat and zippofan like this.
  10. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

7DE2C0B6-DB68-43BE-9AF4-3D51E84E622F.jpeg 02884A23-66C7-4B41-AC61-547AE958C420.jpeg I had a PRS SC 250 for about 10 years. Played and sounded great (actually changed the neck humbucker) but never really bonded with it. Then I bought a Vela when they first came out and fell in love with it. Lucked out and was able to get one of the reclaimed wood CE 24s, another incredible guitar so much so that I sold my SC250 and never looked back. Last year I bought a S2 Studio and it’s a great guitar as well. As far as resale value goes you’ll loose as much money on a core model as you would on a S2. Meanwhile CE 24s that I paid $1399 for are going for $2000 on Reverb but I’m going to hang on to it. Good luck with your search!

MuddyDitch, lineboat, Treynor and 2 others like this.
  11. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

No doubt. They have a CE semi-hollow coming out this year, which has piqued my interest, other than the unfinished maple headstock. It’s a shame they don’t have a set neck core semi-hollow, but the CE is great bang for the buck.

lineboat likes this.
  12. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Is that one of the reclaimed wood CE models? I love those, and hope they do more of them. The Vela is the one S2 model I’m really into. I kinda wish they’d do a semi-hollow trem version. With birds.

lineboat likes this.
  13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a S2 std 22 McCarty tobacco sunburst that I love! Great neck, stays tuned we’ll even w tremolo use, I even like the stock pickups.
    I had a beautiful Santana SE but the S2 plays and sounds better to me.

AND I got my S2 lightly used for less than what some of the SE models sell for new!
    The S2 std 22 models have thin satin finishes.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Treynor likes this.
  14. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

A lot of nice guitars here! I’m gonna play this one again when I get some time, and if it’s gone, that’s ok. I’ll look for a Core model or something that feels right.
    I’ve had a couple SE’s, and they were fine guitars. I’m just not much on the super thick poly finishes or that super fat neck.

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

The S2 neck feels a lot different to me than the SE's that I owned, I find it very comfortable.

lineboat likes this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have an S2 Mira that I really like. Actually I can't fault it, every time I play it I think I should use it more.If you find one that you really like, at a decent price, I'd say go for it. They don't seem to fetch a lot of money on the used market, just an FYI.

lineboat and MuddyDitch like this.
  17. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I have an S2 Singlecut and love it. It’s my #1 and it gets played out the most. It covers a lot of ground. I like the sounds of the coil splits and the full humbucker modes and the neck just feels right for me. I got it as a new blemish model for $900, so less standard price. I’m starting to have trouble with the pickup switch and will have to replace it. That’s my only complaint.

Not sure I’d pay for a core model but to each their own. I do covet the s2 studio though.

[​IMG]

lineboat and MuddyDitch like this.
  18. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Just got an S2 Studio demo blowout from SW and wasn't sure how it's going to work out. But I cleaned a load of gunk off the fret board and gave it a set up / fresh EB Regular Slinkys today and 1st impressions are favorable.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I like the pattern regular neck and also the fat wide necks on most SE models.

bullfrogblues and lineboat like this.
  19. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That looks similar to the SE One I had, and that thing played like a dream!

20. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I have an S2 Starla that I bought last year. The neck seemed a hair chunckier than I would have liked, but I quickly adjusted, and find the gutiar to be a perfect player. It has some nicks and bumps, so I dont get too fussy about it if I play out. I like the guitar A LOT. Hard to imagine what it would take to get it away from me now.

I traded a SE Zach Meyers and some cash for it. The SE was a great guitar, but the American-built S2 had the edge imo.

lineboat, markal and bullfrogblues like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.