PRS Question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by djh22, Feb 17, 2020.

1. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I happened across a GC deal on a used PRS SE Singlecut Trem from 2010. I no longer have any guitar with humbuckers, so I took a chance and had it shipped to my local GC.

I decided to unpack it in the store and found a pretty noticeable ding along the top edge and pointed it out to the salesman who documented it on the pickup ticket.

Anyway, the trem arm is missing, and a previous owner appears to have swapped pickups and re-installed the originals. Two screws were missing from each trim ring and the wire cavity was a mess. I rationalized that it is a used guitar that I got for a below-market price, so I took it home.

I tuned it up and strummed a few chords at different places along the neck. All the first position chords were uncomfortable as my hand was in contact with the edge of the nut. The PRS nut is much larger than what I have on my Logan, my CV Tele, or any other guitar that I've ever played.

The guitar is likely going back but my question for PRS owners and aficionados - is this "oversized" nut normal? My interweb search reveals a dearth of information and my dentist is out of town. Thanks!

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

do you maybe mean the width of the fretboard?

But, you say your hand comes in contact with the nut...hard to picture how that is happening...

Something does seem amiss

Can you post a pic of the nut?

(dentist is out of town, ha, good one! :p)

djh22 likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

PRS have necks called, wide-fat, and wide-slim.. not sure about the others.. are you talking about the width of the nut compared to tele's and strats?

Ive played a lot of these, are these guitars are really nice and very consistent but Ive never owned one.. and also the Santana SE is one of the few guitars I got instant GAS after I played it, and can confirm the wide neck which I thought was nice because its not narrow like Gibsons and quite comfortable to my smallish girl hands..

take a chance on another one, maybe a new one and see how you like it better.. I think the Korean ones are great and the newer indo (Cort) made ones are catching up in consistency and quality.. but if I were to get one, Id get an older Korean (World Music Inc) made one..

djh22 likes this.
  4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about all, but my se acoustic is pretty wide.

I was playing it last night and my wife commented that the tone was similar to a "dimestore toy?" I only bought this "toy" after my wife forced me to buy it on impulse and threatened me every time I tried to take it back.

She bought the damn birds...but I think my D28 showed her what a guitar should sound like:confused:

Thanks for letting me rant, but take it back quick before you're stuck with it.

djh22 likes this.
  5. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

The SE line's nuts are notorious for binding (that just doesn't sound right somehow:twisted:). Anyway, most either need replaced or have already been replaced. No telling what is on yours.

Live long and prosper!

djh22 likes this.
  6. djh22

Thanks to all for your replies!

I was aware of the wide-thin and wide-fat designation of PRS necks, and frankly, I am more concerned with feel than how they are labeled. For me, the neck on this guitar is comfortable and the width (1-11/16", 12 inch radius) is not an issue, but the nut is the tallest and thickest I've ever seen. This is one of the MIK models built in late 2010.

I just need to acknowledge that I'm a tele guy, plain and simple. They fit my playing style and feel comfortable in my hands. I'm sure that this PRS will find a new home quickly.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I understand..

I can relate to the feel, as the Santana I tried has definitely a wider fretboard and feel to it.. but the nut was okay.. given it hasnt had any pro level service done to it..

and yes, sometimes, I'm in denial too, no other guitar works for me, and when I try a different thing, I just get disappointed. LOL

djh22 likes this.
  8. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

I have a SE Custom 24, the nut is chunky but not so much that it interferes with my playing.

With that said, after lusting after a PRS for many years I just can’t seem to find a comfort level with this guitar, so while it may be the prettiest guitar I own, it is played the least. Crying shame sad but true. 2D5D014A-979C-488D-A43E-04D103DC2ED8.jpeg

djh22 and nojazzhere like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have more than one PRS SE. :rolleyes:

If there were pickup swaps -- the other popular mod found in forums are "nut upgrades! Fer Toanzes!" So with the pickup swapping it's highly likely there is a new nut on that guitar causing you problems. Previous owner changed out the nut because someone told him the guitar will sound so much better with a new nut. There's even a note in a previous post of this thread about 'notoriously sticking nuts'. Which happens when a guitar shipped with 9s gets "upgraded" to 10s and nothing is done with the nut slots. GC just takes guitars as-is and hangs them on the wall without any repairs so there can be a lot of little 'surprises' in used guitars there. I've seen more self-inflicted problems to guitars that owners unload because they can't fix their own mods.

However, assuming you got the guitar for a good price, you are only a few inexpensive repairs/mods away from having a great playing guitar, especially if you are even a little handy. If you feel like you overpaid, heavy buyers remorse is kicking in, then take it back and get out of the situation. But the SEs can be great playing and sounding guitars so I'd say to stick with it.

Post a picture of this nut, closeups too, from the sides and top. Pictures of the wiring cavity. Backs of the pickups. Bridge saddles, trem cavity. Output jack (if they got loose then owners get the wires twisted or wonky soldering). We can help you get sorted.

Torren61, djh22 and Southpole like this.
  10. blowtorch

Me too. They play like buttah
    [​IMG]

and they made me (mostly) stop the dentist/accountant jokes

Jakedog likes this.
  11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

A previous experience with the SEs wasn't so nice that it made me stay away from PRS in general being my first PRS. Things were just goofy and not what I expected from a PRS and I felt bad because I have always wanted to own a PRS since I was younger way back in the 90's. It wasn't until I tried out a PRS S2 that my faith on PRS came back. It felt a lot better than my ex SE in my opinion. I could never afford a Core, but I will forever love my S2!

I mean no insult to the SE line, just sharing my experience.

[​IMG]

Blue333, Torren61 and Pontiaddict like this.
  12. djh22

I so wanted to like it ... I could fix the pickups and the wiring, I could replace the nut, but then I started to notice other things that made me think the previous owner was, in fact, unable to fix the myriad mods. I started to think that I just wasn't close to feeling "it," so I revert back to being a member of the non-PRS owners club (and as an accountant, I can take the jokes).

13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure those guitars have a 10" radius, almost all PRS guitars do.

14. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mine's not an SE, it's from the true Dentist line (87 Custom, they didbn;'t even need to specify 24 then), so I can't really comment on the SE line.
    But on mine, the nut may be slightly wider than on my other guitars, but nothing noticeable. And after 32 years and a LOT of playing, there's not a bit of noticeable wear on the nut. Not sure if the SE uses the same material, but if so, those so-called upgrade modifications to change the nut are/were just plain stupid.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't understand exactly what is the problem with the nut. Pics would help. I've owned a lot of PRS guitars including a few SE models. I still have a SE Soapbar. I haven't had any problems at all. In fact, IMHO, the PRS SE line are the best bang for the buck you can get with guitars. They play well, the fit and finish is very good and the pickups generally don't sound bad enough to me to "upgrade". I thought about upgrading the P90s until I played it more and it occurred to me that spending and extra $300 on pickups just wasn't going to make THAT much difference to make it worth the money and effort of the conversion.

It sounds like, to me, you have a basically good guitar that needs some attention to make it a great guitar. Post a pic of the nut and your problem with it and I'm sure you can get some proper direction and encouragement and you'll end up happy.

blowtorch and jrblue like this.
  16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I, too, can't grasp what you're talking about with the "wide nut" stuff. Do you mean thick? High? Or actually jutting out beyond the edge of the neck (wide)? Is it original or changed? I'm disappointed to hear the reports of SE build quality, as the consistency, fit/finish, and value for money with SEs had been a bright point in the arena of mass-produced guitars -- a real triumph. It was disturbing to learn that PRS is chasing profits by moving to Indonesia -- particularly if quality dips.

blowtorch and Torren61 like this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh no. I won't have one if it's made in Indonesia. Japan and Korea are as far east as I go with guitars. China is a "no go" for me.

18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I get the love for PRS guitars.

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollowbody that I recently bought (World Music, S. Korea) absolutely blows me away - particularly the quality of the neck and fretwork. I think these frets are more beautifully dressed than any Fender, Martin, Gibson, Taylor that I've had. No issues with the nut whatsoever.

[​IMG]

Pickups in split-coil mode (pretty much where they always are) sound amazing. I put covers on them because I thought the zebras looked goofy. I like bare bobbins when they're all-black, or all-creme. Zebras are just too busy looking, to my personal taste.

Aged violin finish
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Sneaks and Torren61 like this.
  19. blowtorch

OK since we're posting, here's my most recent (with birdies)
    [​IMG]
    Incidentally, I think zebras look awesome

DHart likes this.
  20. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Shame you didn't bond with your SE.

Most of them have quite chunky top nuts and the wide-fat necks maybe take some getting used to.

Personally, I love them. I love the chunky necks, I love their solidity and build quality and I love that because there are so many that don't dig them, used prices are reasonable.

I prefer the singlecut ones, but I have two rather world weary, modded SEs that I regularly play and gig with.

I swapped the nut out completely on the two I own, I love the wide necks but the stock nuts didn't make enough use of the necks with their string spacing, for me.

Swapped 'em out and made wider string spacing from some bone blanks and both of them work just fine.
    [​IMG]

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.