PRS is teasing an SE version of the Silver sky!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I had a gig last night. Woke up about noon today. Sweetwater had a stack of these in the Ever Green and Dragon Fruit colors. By 2pm they were sold out. The Moon White and Stone Blue are supposed to arrive there soon. I’m guessing they’ll sell out just as quickly.

I'll be very curious to hear your review of the SE since you love the USA version so much. I'm not really a strat guy (and I have four already) but I have to admit I am a tiny bit tempted by the SE.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'll be very curious to hear your review of the SE since you love the USA version so much. I'm not really a strat guy (and I have four already) but I have to admit I am a tiny bit tempted by the SE.
I’d love to try one out. I really don’t think I’ll be buying one, unless it just really knocks me sideways. I do have a long term plan in the works to eventually get myself a second US model.

But rest assured, if I come across one in the local GC I’ll definitely be taking it for a test drive. One thing that stands out to me in the demo videos already is that to me, they don’t sound like the US version. They’re great sounding guitars, but very different to my ears. I’d really like to play one in person to get a better idea of what’s going on with them.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I’d love to try one out. I really don’t think I’ll be buying one, unless it just really knocks me sideways. I do have a long term plan in the works to eventually get myself a second US model.

But rest assured, if I come across one in the local GC I’ll definitely be taking it for a test drive. One thing that stands out to me in the demo videos already is that to me, they don’t sound like the US version. They’re great sounding guitars, but very different to my ears. I’d really like to play one in person to get a better idea of what’s going on with them.

That is very interesting and frankly weird to me - after spending so much time on the PUs, why would they not use the same specs for the SE PUs? I would think Mayer would insist if nothing else. For comparison, all the EVH Wolfgangs use the same PUs no matter what they cost.

Friend of Leo's
SE Silver Sky is in the stores here at c. £900.
Got to be worth comparing to a Fender Performer Strat at least?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That is very interesting and frankly weird to me - after spending so much time on the PUs, why would they not use the same specs for the SE PUs? I would think Mayer would insist if nothing else. For comparison, all the EVH Wolfgangs use the same PUs no matter what they cost.
The US pickups are the 635JM model. The SE pickups are called 635JM S. They do this with all the SE guitars. They have the overseas maker build and “S” version of whatever pickup goes into whichever (custom 24, Santana, etc) model.

The vids I’ve seen sound very good. Not worse, just different. They particularly don’t seem to have the same vibe in the 2 and 4 positions. I really would like to get my hands on one to try in person, so that I could A/B it directly with mine. Who knows, it could just be a difference in recording techniques.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m just glad I got my Silver Sky before the SE came out because there is no way I could justify the American made.
I’d buy a US one in every color if I could afford them. Mine is just that good. I really don’t even think I need to own any other electric guitar at this point. I mean, I do, and I will, cause… Guitars!! But I don’t play anything else at all anymore.

I’m looking forward to getting to test drive an SE, but I have feeling it’ll be like the rest of the SE line. Very nice guitar, especially for the price, but not in the same league as the core models.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Can you describe ( somewhat?) the difference in pickup sounds between your USA SS and the SE?

It sounds like the imports are hotter too ? ( I watched videos) I guess I don't have a refined ear, as I'm just hearing ' good Strat' sounds...

- also are the 2 Tone controls reversed from Fender? - back Tone works neck pickup? Thanks!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Can you describe ( somewhat?) the difference in pickup sounds between your USA SS and the SE?

It sounds like the imports are hotter too ? ( I watched videos) I guess I don't have a refined ear, as I'm just hearing ' good Strat' sounds...

- also are the 2 Tone controls reversed from Fender? - back Tone works neck pickup? Thanks!
I’m not hearing the same sounds from the two models. The SE definitely sounds a little hotter to me, which some folks might like. The pickups in my US model are super low output. I don’t remember for sure but I want to say they’re in the 5.3k range?

I’m also not hearing the same depth and 3D-ness that I hear with the US model. The 2 and 4 positions in the SE video do not seem to have the “boing” factor. The sound just doesn’t seem as springy and bouncy.

None of this is to say it sounds bad. It absolutely sounds very good to me. But the US version sounds beyond exceptional, for what I’m looking for out of this style of guitar.

The tone knobs work like an American standard, or most other modern Strats. The top one handles the neck and middle pickup, the bottom one handles the bridge pickup.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I’m not hearing the same sounds from the two models. The SE definitely sounds a little hotter to me, which some folks might like. The pickups in my US model are super low output. I don’t remember for sure but I want to say they’re in the 5.3k range?

I’m also not hearing the same depth and 3D-ness that I hear with the US model. The 2 and 4 positions in the SE video do not seem to have the “boing” factor. The sound just doesn’t seem as springy and bouncy.

None of this is to say it sounds bad. It absolutely sounds very good to me. But the US version sounds beyond exceptional, for what I’m looking for out of this style of guitar.

The tone knobs work like an American standard, or most other modern Strats. The top one handles the neck and middle pickup, the bottom one handles the bridge pickup.
Got it, thanks! ( I seem to like low output pickups on my guitars)

I could be wrong, but I think one video host mixed up the 2 Tone controls..

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
well, I'm not finding any trace of em in Japan so far at any price... :(

ETA: I think I found out why. From the PRS Japan website:

日本国内は2月以降の出荷を予定しています。

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Teasing? They are flaunting it on every guitar related YouTube, Instagram and Facebook page out there and me without the scratch to get one 😭😭😭