PRS is teasing an SE version of the Silver sky!

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Specs released today. Interesting that they went with an 8.5" fretboard radius.

5 colors, and none appear to be metallics.

1641324297560.png
1641324309903.png
1641324326342.png
1641324232944.png

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I could really dig this. But right now I'm really sold on needing a humbucker in the bridge..... For me.... I like the little PRS type cutaway on the bottom horn. It gives it their feel. I've never been in love with the typical PRS style body. I don't know why. Just not purdy to me.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
The 7.25 is not a deal breaker for the SS, as long as they can get people to try them. I was staunchly against 7.25” guitars. I said for years that they were a bad, outdated design, that could not be made to play properly. This is after having owned 7.25 guitars that cost much more than my current SS.

The 7.25” SS is a JOY to play. Paul says if you level the fretboard and the frets correctly, it’s not an issue. Guess what? He’s right. I swore I would never own another 7.25” guitar. Now I do. And it’s my main one. So much so that I’m half considering whether or not I actually even need any additional electric guitars. I haven’t used anything else on any gig in over three months now. I pick up my other guitars, which are also not cheap, and they’re just… not “disappointing”, that’s the wrong word. But definitely not as much fun to play.

The reverse headstock is functional. It gives all that hand clearance on the treble side of the nut for playing high strings down low, as well as first fret chords. The underside of that PRS headstock is pretty much cut the same as a fender. Which is why it was done like that.

It gets released 1/11/22.

I hope they keep it as faithful to the original as possible. If you take away the headstock, the 7.25” radius, and replace the US pickups, electronics, and hardware, it’s not a silver sky. It’s just the SE EG from the 00’s with a bolt on neck. What’s the point?

Pretty sure the SE gets a 8.5" radius. Whatever it is, it's NOT a 7.25" radius on the SE.

Edit: the Silver Sky SE has a 8.5" radius. NOT 7.25", so getting people to try a 7.25" radius isn't anything they have to worry about unless they're springing for the expensive model.

I wish they would make a maple-necked version....maybe I'll hold out for that.

It already has a maple neck. That's quite different than a maple fretboard. Which I'm guessing is what you meant?

The NECK is the substantial piece of wood you hold while fretting. The fretboard is what holds the frets. They're usually 2 different pieces.

Last edited:

BramptonRob1958

Tele-Holic
849 USD/1099CAD Price point is good, colors are ok
preorders are up now.
The only Canadian Retailer that I found taking on-line pre orders was Cosmo Music....There response when I asked about availability was July at the earliest...

I wasn't prepared to pre order (all the money upfront) for a 6 month wait....

However, it looks like a great guitar and eventually I'll probably end up buying one..

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a gig last night. Woke up about noon today. Sweetwater had a stack of these in the Ever Green and Dragon Fruit colors. By 2pm they were sold out. The Moon White and Stone Blue are supposed to arrive there soon. I’m guessing they’ll sell out just as quickly.