PRS is teasing an SE version of the Silver sky!

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
prs-se-silver-sky-leak-blacksmith-strings@1400x1050.jpg

Oh yes, please, thank you!

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

That prototype SS image was floated around the internet a year or two ago. Maybe they are closer now.

Cort makes their current SE models in Indonesia. Except the semi-hollow Zach model I think is MIC.
"World Musical Instruments" in Korea made the SE models before (same factory that makes ESP/LTD, Chapman, Schecter, and some others - and some of those moved to MII now too).

They need to sell a maple fretboard version. Mayer proclaims he's an environmentalist but put imported exotic lumber on the fretboards of the first SSs, eventually they released a maple option to take the sting off. The SE version of the SS should really be just maple. A non-reversed headstock would be good for the brand and keep the guitar generic enough players who don't like Mayer will buy it. And just 9.5 radius to keep common with players and factory processes for lower costs. The 7.5 radius will turn out to be as much a fad as 7/8/9 string guitars and fretless guitars -- cool to experiment with or get on your second or third guitar but not your main one. We'll see what they do.

Perhaps Winter Namm will unveil it?

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
A PRS SE-245 and a Marshall Origin 20C
give Instant Beano Karma quicker than all
else and that's regardless of price.

Here's hoping that Keith & Jeff
from Five Watt World do an Epilogue
to Beano Tone. It means Guys like me
don't have to drop 5 Large and can buy
in for 7-8 hundred.

Major Kudos to PRS & Marshall.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
FWIW, PRS guitars are some of the most consistently good guitars out there, both the US and import models. I refretted a SS a couple of months ago for a guy who wanted big frets, and I was seriously impressed with the guitar.

An SE version will be a big hit for them, even if they do it with a 7.25” radius.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member

That prototype SS image was floated around the internet a year or two ago. Maybe they are closer now.

Cort makes their current SE models in Indonesia. Except the semi-hollow Zach model I think is MIC.
"World Musical Instruments" in Korea made the SE models before (same factory that makes ESP/LTD, Chapman, Schecter, and some others - and some of those moved to MII now too).

They need to sell a maple fretboard version. Mayer proclaims he's an environmentalist but put imported exotic lumber on the fretboards of the first SSs, eventually they released a maple option to take the sting off. The SE version of the SS should really be just maple. A non-reversed headstock would be good for the brand and keep the guitar generic enough players who don't like Mayer will buy it. And just 9.5 radius to keep common with players and factory processes for lower costs. The 7.5 radius will turn out to be as much a fad as 7/8/9 string guitars and fretless guitars -- cool to experiment with or get on your second or third guitar but not your main one. We'll see what they do.

Perhaps Winter Namm will unveil it?

The 7.25 is not a deal breaker for the SS, as long as they can get people to try them. I was staunchly against 7.25” guitars. I said for years that they were a bad, outdated design, that could not be made to play properly. This is after having owned 7.25 guitars that cost much more than my current SS.

The 7.25” SS is a JOY to play. Paul says if you level the fretboard and the frets correctly, it’s not an issue. Guess what? He’s right. I swore I would never own another 7.25” guitar. Now I do. And it’s my main one. So much so that I’m half considering whether or not I actually even need any additional electric guitars. I haven’t used anything else on any gig in over three months now. I pick up my other guitars, which are also not cheap, and they’re just… not “disappointing”, that’s the wrong word. But definitely not as much fun to play.

The reverse headstock is functional. It gives all that hand clearance on the treble side of the nut for playing high strings down low, as well as first fret chords. The underside of that PRS headstock is pretty much cut the same as a fender. Which is why it was done like that.

It gets released 1/11/22.

I hope they keep it as faithful to the original as possible. If you take away the headstock, the 7.25” radius, and replace the US pickups, electronics, and hardware, it’s not a silver sky. It’s just the SE EG from the 00’s with a bolt on neck. What’s the point?

Last edited:

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
My Mark Tremonti SE was MII and its fit and finish are absolutely stellar. Perfect setup, beautifully polished frets, etc. SS from same factory would likely be similarly well crafted.