PRS Headstock Musings

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by paulo6, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a '90 Custom that was my main gigging guitar for years. I never succumbed to the "too pretty to take out of the house" mindset, it's had the snot played out of it (and it shows). I don't play it much these days because it needs a refret, but I'll never part with it.

2. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

I love their headstock... and their guitars. The company is owned by an absolutely obsessed guitar fanatic and I applaud him for what he's been able to achieve. Dislike the headstock all you want, it won't change the fact that neither Fender nor Gibson is run by someone 1/10th as passionate about music and guitars.

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Love the Mahogany PRS SE w/ P-90's. Great looking guitar.

4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    I would like to add that I have the plainest 1988 PRS CE24 ever produced.......but I love it!!!

5. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

There's probably not a lot of difference between your guitar and an SE One.

I find I can get a pretty huge variety of tones from the one P90 using technique. It's about as no-nonsense a guitar as you can get. I've also found that it's very stable with respect to environmental changes. You can leave it in a hot trunk all day and pull it out and the tuning is spot on.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

PRS's aren't my cup of tea. I like vintage spec Fenders and Gibsons. My sound track pretty much stopped at Hendrix.

I get the headstock: straight pull. It's prettier than a Heritage, which attempts the same thing. Still don't like it, but good try.

What really, really puts me off is "pretty on the front, butt ugly on the back". The rear is usually home to some ugly, oddly shaped access panels. The neck joint looks (and feels) really blocky back there.

The bird inlays are a no-go for me.

And finally, they have a beautiful finish, but it ain't lacquer. See sig.

7. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

Wow, anything posted on PRS seems to elicit a big response, thanks guys. Makes me think I really ought to give one a good go at the next opportunity! I do appreciate they are made (well) by an enthusiast, have a wide range of models/prices and that the headstock provides a straight string pull etc etc.

However I can't recall any artist that I like who plays one and yes I reckon Santana sounded better on Gibsons and Yamahas fwiw. Now, that may very well say more about my musical taste than anything else, however I bet if PRS had changed the headstock shape in their new-shaped models mentioned in my OP, then some of my favourite artists would, like me, be tempted.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

:) I'd not thought about it before but I recognise that!

9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Love the bird inlays but the rest of the guitar seems bland and generic and a 6 inline headstock would go a long way aesthetically as far as I'm concerned

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think a six in line design would look goofy as hell on their body styles. Like the Trini Lopez Gibson. Totally out of place. Like a beard on a Playmate.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pretty much, yeah :lol:

12. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

PRS has a list of nationally known artists who play PRS. I don't think there is a guitarist that isn't on that list.

Click on the "show artist list" button

http://www.prsguitars.com/artists#list

PRS are like any other pricey guitar, if you don't like the new price buy a used one. Most people treat them very well and they are realistically worth half the price used. The local GC has a used S2 Mira for $600. The local ma and pa had a used Ten Top CU22 for $1700.

If your in the market for a Gibson, you have to try a PRS. IMO, you get a lot more guitar for your money with much better craftsmanship. I'd rather save $1000 and buy a S2 Mira then a LP Traditional.

Even though its apples and oranges, I think the S2 line is a better value then Fender Standards. If your looking for strat or tele tones, your not going to get 100% there, but overall quality on PRS is much better. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but when I bought my Am Standard Tele, the tone pot was loose. Yes, that is a 2 minute fix, but when your spending $1200 on a brand new guitar, it should of been caught before it gets into the customers hands.

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing plain PRS guitars, for over 12 years. I don't like a lot of bling, but I do like the birds. They were made as a salute to Paul Reed Smith's mother, who was a bird lover. The headstocks don't break, like a Gibson. They have a straight through pull, like a Fender, without violating any copyright laws. Plus, they hold tune. I purchased my American PRS guitars, for under $1400, about what you would pay for an American Fender. I also play Fenders, but the quality, play-ability, fit and finish surpasses anything that I have owned from Gibson or Fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I found this SE Korina Singlecut in a pawnshop and swapped the pickups for PAF's. It's a really sweet player with tone for days. Inlays are moons. So far, nobody has asked me for legal advice, a medical opinion, or stock tips and I'm still holding the headstock question in abeyance.

Attached Files:

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the headstock and the birds. On the other hand I thought Telecasters were bone ugly until I played one. Then the veil lifted and I perceived true beauty.

I don't play PRS guitars because they don't suit my style. But I can say that about most every guitar but Teles. Just went to a sales / demo session with Paul Reed Smith and Brent Mason. They made very nice music with those PRS models. I can't fault the guitars or the man. It's tough to create a product and brand from the ground up. Anyone who does it legally has my respect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.