PRS Core Models worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by swervinbob, Aug 6, 2020.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I've never played a bad PRS. Only owned a couple. S2 standard satin that I had to purge when something came up, and a new SE Starla I received the other day, which plays great and kind of fills a sonic hole in my home studio.

I'm about to change jobs, and in moving retirement money around, I was thinking about spoiling myself a little. Maybe a McCarty SC 594 goldtop or something like that. Im not a huge fan of flamed maple for some reason.

And another thing, I dont have to answer to anyone to do this. No wife or girlfriend currently.

So, for those who have them, is the extra money for the core gutars worth it?

Zepfan likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love mine!
    It’s a 2018 McCarty 594 Singlecut.
    It sounds great, and stays in tune beautifully.
    It’s an “evolved” Les Paul!

B23DB41A-C9A8-4AC1-8F3F-E16381A3E06E.jpeg 5C8F3254-DFBA-43E6-A13B-732E79E51159.jpeg

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Nice. I've always liked Les Pauls, but I've always liked the playability of PRS. I'll try to play a couple if I can find them before I buy. But these days that's not easy.

brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  4. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Yes.

brookdalebill and swervinbob like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't see how they could be, being that the SEs are just so very good.

6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve owned guitars from all three levels.

I think the S2 series play as good and quality wise are on the level of core. Where they suffer, IMO, are pickups, electronics, and looks. I don’t like how they’re carved differently personally. The Starla I owned had swapped pickups already, the other S2s I’ve played had really cheap sounding pickups. Pretty anemic/bland/uninspiring sounding.

The Korina McCarty With braz board I owned was one of the best guitars I’ve ever played and I was stupid to get rid of it. Just a beautiful playing and sounding guitar. That said, I think the S2s played at least as good and felt solid.

Most SE I’ve played have been noticeably lower quality in my opinion. The only one I thought could even hold a candle to an S2 was a Zach Myers, by far the best SE I’ve played. Most feel like toys to me by comparison, just being honest.

If you like the look of the S2 series, I think after a pickup and maybe electronic swap, you’re right in the ball park of Core. Then it just comes down to looks.

swervinbob likes this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

No.
    IMG_20200804_123136.jpg

My SE is sooooo nice n sounds sooooo good. I'm ova expensive guitars (and I got plenty of them).

I think the 'thought' of owning an expensive guitar is better than the reality. But I'm sure all the Custom Shop owners will squeal abt that remark.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    blowtorch, swervinbob and nojazzhere like this.
  8. brookdalebill

They are indeed very good!
    I LOVE my SE Kestrel bass.
    It ticks a bunch of boxes.
    It has neck-through construction, neck binding (just a fetish, but nice), straight string pull behind the nut, Hipshot hardware, and Jazz Bass type electronics.
    I put Kinman noiseless pickups, and TI flats on It.
    Best bass I ever owned!
    853EFD11-9890-4FCA-92EC-0444849E2A61.jpeg 3A571B67-7179-4B54-AE5A-06B07609029C.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  9. blowtorch

Since everyone's posting their SEs... :cool:

20200806_080455 (1).jpg

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Poke around more of the S2 models.
    I keep my eye out for a Vela priced well, perhaps someday.

If you were caught in a bind forcing a guitar sale before then I'd suggest avoiding a Core model. Harder to move quickly. Avoid any signature models.
    SEs can be quite good. Playability is there and you can always swap controls and/or pickups.

Whatever you get .. be careful choosing the number of frets as 22=LP and 24=SG tone styles due to neck pickup placement.

swervinbob and Collin D Plonker like this.
  11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

I love the way my S2 plays, but I always gravitate back to Fender. According to an article I read, PRS guitars have less resale value than Fender or Gibson. I am finding that to be true. I have had it listed locally for a few months and only one serious inquiry. I updated the pickups to Suhr Thornbucker, tuners to Grover and tone pot to CTS. I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I was happy when I got it. But not so Gaga anymore. My only beef with quality is the finish. Super thin poly trends to dent fairly easy.

swervinbob likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I appreciate the instruments for their beauty, craftsmanship and sound/tone/whatever...they’re truly spectacular. I love them in other people’s hands—especially David Grissom (one of my favorite all-around players and songwriters).

However, just like Les Pauls, I’ve never been able to bond with one.

I guess I’ll keep admiring them from a distance.

13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

True, but I will say that as good as the SEs are, they just don't quite match the playability/feel of the neck on my 87 Custom. Or the neck on my buddy's 89 Custom.
    The SEs are very good; the models made in MD are phenomenal.

swervinbob likes this.
  14. blowtorch

ok. But are the "improvements" actually worth the increased cost?
    IMO no. The core series are not 3 times the guitar that the SE series are, so I would not pay 3 times for a core that I would for an SE

I'm a tightwad/skinflint though, so there is that :)

Crowcaster and swervinbob like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I'm just glad I bought mine new in 87, because I doubt I'd have it otherwise. I was a lot freer to spend then. I'd probably have and still be very happy with an SE.

swervinbob and blowtorch like this.
  16. brookdalebill

I LOVE Les Pauls.
    The carved top models are still my all time favorite guitars, for looks (appearance).
    I’ve owned more LPs, and LP style guitars than any other type.
    Alas, the Gibsons are all fatally flawed, IMO.
    I can not keep them in tune.
    I blame the headstock angle, and the angled string pull behind the nut.
    I’ve tried different string gauges, locking tuners, string guides (String Butler), locking bridges, roller bridges and graphite nuts.
    I quit.
    I just appreciate the LP now as an art object, or sculpture.
    Here’s where the PRS (Singlecut) wins.
    With it’s locking tuners, straight string pull (behind the nut), and incredible build integrity, it plays and stays in tune MUCH better.
    Perhaps you might try a Singlecut sometime.
    I prefer the newer ones (594), with PRS’s vastly superior version of the stop tailpiece and tune-a-matic type bridge.
    Lastly, the Singlecuts are more Gibson-like, tone-wise than the Custom 22 or 24.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

When I sold the S2, it was because I had to quickly move some stuff around to get it off my mother's books when her dementia got to where we had to put her in a nursing home. She always took care of her finances real tight,, and wouldnt let us help her and wouldnt admit that she couldn't do it anymore. But I realized then, that I make enough money to not get in a position where I have to sale stuff for emergencies. In the last few months, I've carved a lot of stuff off my own budget and, unless it's something catastrophic, won't get in that position again.

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Pass on the SEs. I tried one before getting an S2. It just didn't do it for me for some reason.

I loved my S2 Standard 22 in stock form. I love it more now that it's fully customized to my liking!

My Darth Paul...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is a Core worth it? Well, it depends on you really. It has to do with something like... is a BMW worth the investment compared to Hyundai? Or... why would you choose one car over the other if they both get you from point A to point B?

swervinbob likes this.
  19. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I always had a negative view of them borne of jealousy.

They'd be the guitar that the middle aged dude with a good job and unimpressive playing would bring to the jam session. "An Attorney's Guitar." Nobody else could afford them.

Now I'm that middle aged dude! They are starting to grow on me. Funny how tastes change.

I think I'd go for a DGT Goldtop.

20. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

This sounds so much like the argument that a Chinese Squier is just as as good as a USA Fender. If wishes were horses...

I’m sorry I’ve never seen an SE or an S2 that can come close to this.

upload_2020-8-6_11-44-39.jpeg

upload_2020-8-6_11-46-34.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.