PRRI w/ P12Q or DRRI w/ 12” whatever...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluesholyman, Nov 21, 2019.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Looking for a practice/recording amp, relative to my ‘59 Bassman which gets a little loud, I played through a PRRI w/ the Jensen alnico (P12Q I think) and it was tonal heaven to me - just a glorious clean sound - very inspiring. Every other PRRI I tried with different speakers was not as impressive tone-wise. I turned it up and it didn’t get too loud and I could see it being limited in that regard down the road.

It seems I’m within a benjamin or two to get either the PRRI or the DRRI - trying to find a DRRI with the Jensen alnico to play and see if I like it as much.

Would like some opinions on which way to go here....PRRI or DRRI. Anything I should be thinking about and what do you prefer and why....

Thanks,
    BHM

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

If you go 12" in both, then beyond the (non-huge) watt / volume difference, or the trem, or even the transformers, the thing people overlook is the basic major tone difference -- these are very different circuits, cousins, at best, not siblings.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Have both PRRI and DRRI. The PRRI has the new cream alnico 90W in there.
    No limit on keeping up with the band. Of course the DRRI is
    one of those always have amps, also. Good all round with any speaker.

bluesholyman likes this.
  4. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

for practice/recording I would opt for the PRRI.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The DR will be far more useable in a band mix. The PR will definitely have limitations, especially with a P12Q

bluesholyman likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Sounds like you already understand the constraints of both, based on your op.

PRRI for practice/studio, DRRI for live. Either can do either, just not as good.

I opted for the Princeton. I like the lower volume, and knew I could mike it for live use. The DR was just too loud for me to bond with in the studio.

Some say the trem on the Princeton is nicer too. It is very nice.

Lastly, you said "tonal heaven." When that happens, you should buy it. It doesn't happen often enough!

Good luck.

bluesholyman likes this.
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sweetwater did a Fender special run DRRI in wine red tolex with wheat grille cloth and an alnico speaker. I love mine.

budglo likes this.
  8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

You want it for practice and recording, and it sounds like heaven to you...pull the trigger.

Same experience I had with the GC tweed PRRI w/ 12" Celestion. Just love that thing.

9. bluesholyman

Do you find that the alnico can handle the DRRI when its cooking, or does it tend to give up the farm and you have to dial it back?

10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've commented before on this topic but it is always of interest. First, I have a Super Champ X2 in a custom 12" combo cab. I used to jam with a guy who had a PRRI. The SCx2 always kept up fine. At $300 less-including all the mods (cab, speaker). Last month I bought a new DRRI for $950. I think for only a few extra dollars the DRRI cuts it at low volume and can play out in many gig situations. I know what the science says, but the DRRI seems a lot louder and is simply more substantial than is the PRRI. Just an opinion.

11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hasn't been a problem, but I will say that above maybe 5-1/2 it doesn't get much louder it just gets a little more breakup - I think if I'm dialing back anything it's the gain on the 3-knob overdrive pedal (Tube Screamer clone).

12. bluesholyman

Based on some listening I have done, I would tend to agree. I am trying to figure out if the "magic" I heard in that PRRI (heard in two different stores, same model/speaker) that I didn't hear in the other PRRI's was the alnico imparting goodness that I am drawn towards. After listening to a PRRI vs DRRI comparison, I lean towards the DNA of the DRRI as far as sound goes - there is just something about it when it gets cooking that is a great sound.

I am also thinking I could always put an attenuator on the DRRI to get recording levels at home, without being limited for playing out. This thought has since crossed my mind as well.

I am looking at a couple different options and will most likely pull the trigger on something tomorrow. I may surprise myself with what I end up with....

graybeard65 likes this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Attenuator on the DRRI sounds like a good plan. You might want "more" amp if you go Princeton and gig with it. For me, it's loud enough, but barely. I like a slight break up at gig levels, and this does it. In anything larger than a small café, however, it would need to be miked. - That said, so would a DRRI probably... I think it's better to run through the pa in that scenario than have a really loud amp and stage volume.

If you're recording, consider the differences in speak size. A 10" can be appealing. Not as sloppy and loose as the 12" There is a sweetness to princetons.

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i vote Princeton all day. i think it has the prettiest clean tone of any amp ever. my only complaint about the stock format is that wimpy 10" Jensen. the Princeton is a very bottom heavy amp... and that speaker is an awful choice IMO.

sure the deluxe reverb would be louder and could be used for live shows (barely)... but you've already got a great amp for that in the bassman.

bluesholyman and Axegrinder77 like this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Some how i became a user of the 12Q...the 2x12 semi has it & R . I use it with my marshalls for lead tones. It is very articulate & it puts me into the recording mix where i belong. usually a fender under for rhythm. It goes right on top of it. Of all the speakers i use, these are so precise but you cant push em too far. I would think a Princeton with it would be real good.This cab is a blast with jtm45 Jensens1 (2).jpg

16. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Princeton.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.