1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Prri W/12" Or Drri?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rdwhitti, Mar 14, 2016.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I have ordered a PRRI LE with the Jensen P12Q speaker but am having second thoughts. The DRRI is exactly the same price, has 2 channels and 22 watts vs 1 channel and 15 watts, so on paper it sounds like a much better value. However if I never expect to play out, will the extras that the DRRI offers be beneficial, and will it sound as good at bedroom or living room volumes? I have never played a PRRI as they are not available locally, and have only played the DRRI for a few minutes at the store. And I don't really know how the 12" speaker in the PRRI LE affects things.

I was previously considering the Blues Junior NOS both because it is cheaper and it has a master volume which could prove useful for home use. I kniw it is a diffetent animal with the different output tubes, but since I am only interested in cleans the BJ NOS mayalso be a good choice. What do you think?

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've got the PR and DR in the original blackface versions. Personally don't like the DR until it's fairly loud so I think you got the right one for your use.
    Most people don't use the normal channel anyway on the bigger Fenders.

3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Thanks, I played a DRRI last night and found the Normal channel cannot have reverb or vibrato so yes it would probably not get used. I have not had a chance to play enough to know about tone vs volume yet.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, since you ask . . .

I think the PR is a fundamentally flawed design. Sharp. Ratty. Difficult transition to breakup, and I don't like the breakup character. Obviously others disagree.

The DR is deeper, fuller, breaks up more smoothly and more gradually, and sounds overall far better. All IMO. It's also not that much louder, really. And if you put an inefficient speaker in, it will be equivalent volume to the PR. Like a Jensen P12Q. But the DR will sound much "bigger." Realistically at home you are relying on pedals for dirt anyway, from either amp.

I'd get the DRRI. Live or at home, I find the DR to be a far superior experience to the PR.

This is after owning multiple BF, SF and reissues of each. Serviced, good tubes and speakers, running right.

But that's just me. Many, many others disagree.

5. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I agree - most likely just me but never understood all the hype around the PR - the DR to me is a much better sounding amp.

6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The good news is, both the DRRI and PRRI sound fantastic. They do sound different though, so which one is "best" is subjective. For clean tone, they both leave the BJ in the dust.

7. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Wahhh! Every other opinion is opposite of the last, when I think my mind is made up a different poster comes and changes it for me LOL. It still bugs me that they want the same price for both, which makes the DRRI definitely seem like a better value. I am sure either would be fine though.

8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I would have agreed with this until a couple weeks ago, when I played with a guy using an early '70s PR that sounded glorious when slightly driven.

9. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Stick with your gut. If you don't play out you don't need the DR. And the PR can hang at jams and small gigs if you venture out some time. I'm one of those that think BF amps need to be turned up a little bit to get in the zone. Playing at 2 doesn't do anything for me with BF amps. At home, a PR at 4-6 will be plenty of volume--probably even too much depending on your situation.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Every one has an opinion.
    And there is no denying the PR is a small little amp. The power transformer is from a Champ and after 50 years I had to replace mine. Output transformer is pretty small too. It has an outdated phase inverter like the 5e3, 5e7 and some other outdated Fenders.
    However it's a great sounding little amp as is. I personally like the way they go into distortion.

I also like the DR. Hopefully I never have to choose between them. But if I did I'd probably let the DR go and just use a Twin Reverb when I need more amp.

But again it's a highly subjective thing. :)

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, I gig all the time with a PR with a 12" speaker. I have not found a DRRI I like yet.

YMMVOC, but I think you will be very happy with your PRRI w/ a 12" speaker.

Have fun!

12. MilwMark

I think what this thread established is --- NOTHING!

The sad reality is you will have to play them yourself to form your own opinion. Which may take some time, and may change.

If I recall correctly from the other thread, you may be relatively new at this? Which if true adds the compounding layer that you may have no idea in the world what you are really hearing, and if you like it! I'm not belittling you -- I've been there too. We all have.

At least you are looking at and deciding between two classics.

13. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hey Big_Bend, I'm curious: What 12" speaker do you have in yours? I've tried several 10" speakers in mine and found that I like the Eminence Alessandro and Celestion G10 Gold the best. Still, I'm really intrigued with the idea of trying a 12" speaker.

14. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Yes you are absolutely right on all counts. The consensus in general is that the internet opinions on the PRRI and DRRI are about evenly split. Unfortunately there are no Princetons anywhere close to my location, so the only way to try one is to order it and try it out.

And yes I am new to all of this and probably don't have a clear idea of exactly what I really want, and as you said this can change over time. I do know from listening to others playing and from YT clips that what I am after (I think) is a clean "Fendery" tone (whatever that may be), but the YT compression does not give a clear indication of the (slight) differences (even volume differences are not easily detected in these videos because of AVC). I was all set on the Blues Junior NOS but there is so much dislike for that amp, and the EL84 power tubes give it a very different sound at volume, but the clean sound at low volumes sounds very "Fendery" to my (admittedly untrained) ears. But the bigger amps starting with the Princeton are all well liked for their clean tone, and do have that classic 6V6/6L6 heritage. Since I only want something for home use the size and weight really don't matter, so even a Twin or Super is perfect acceptable to me if I can get that tone that I am looking for, and I understand generally that the larger amps are very good at low volume as well as ear-splitting volumes far too loud for home use, so several people have recommended a larger, older amp like a Twin or Super. There is a '73 Super on the local CL right now for $600 that looks very clean from what you can tell in the posting, and the price would leave room for a checkup and re-tube if necessary.

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5397473864.html

15. Big_Bend

I tried several 12" speakers in my 69 princeton reverb that muchxs fixed up for me, but the final winner was the Eminence Texas Heat. It has lovely tone and textures that accentuate the scooped mids I love in blackface tone amps... highly recommended!

Have fun...

BlueCajun likes this.
  16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Man, if you can't get a Fender tone from a Super, I don't know what you're gonna get. You'll probably never get to actually crank it though. I have a TR and it does sound good at whatever volume IMO.

17. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks! I have a friend who runs a Texas Heat with his DRRI, and it sounds fan-freaking-tastic. I might have to give it a shot in my PRRI. Were you able to center the speaker on the baffle? Or did you have to mount it offset due to the transformers and tubes?

18. Big_Bend

I sent muchxs my PR chasis, he hot rodded it and also built me a new cabinet.

[​IMG]

You can read about my amp HERE.

Take care...

BlueCajun likes this.
  19. MilwMark

BigBend - to be fair to the OP, your experience with your Muchxs PR is probably not representative of a stock PR. In part, my understanding is he addresses what many (including me) to be about the inherent shortcomings of the circuit design (and then some, I realize). That plus a custom cab.

I'm not criticizing - just pointing it out because the OP is newer and might not realize your amp is not really representative of a stock "PR".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  20. Big_Bend

Right, yes... but OP asked about which would be better, a PRRI with a 12" speaker or a DRRI.

IMO tho, I feel that just about -any- PR with a 12" speaker will be a better amp than a DRRI.

Personally, having owned 2 of them, I think the DRRI is very overrated. Just my opinion tho...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.