PRRI w/ 12" Cannabis Rex - Other Speaker Options

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister
All I know is Duke Levine plays through a Princeton with a cannabis Rex speaker in it on his Patreon videos and it sounds fantastic. Seriously, it’s one of the best tones I’ve ever heard.

Gkott78

TDPRI Member
Never had a Crex, but a hand full of webers plus some others. Speakers really take some time to break in and even more to settle in...and you need some volume to get them loosened up. Give it more like 6-8 months of solid playing...and even at low volume should sweeten up. Just get everyone in the house some noise cancelling headphones. Btw, spkr rolling is a thing. It took me 3 years to find the one...and cabs do make a difference...its really matching the amp/circuit, with the cab and spkr. Have fun down the rabbit hole.

It's funny, this is my 6th amp and the first one that I bought sight unseen. I've played many a PRRI, but not with this speaker. I figured it would be perfect, and perhaps it will be just the way it is. My other amps all sounded good from day one, but got even better as time went on so I agree with your points. Maybe this one just needs a little "exercise".

Gkott78

TDPRI Member
All I know is Duke Levine plays through a Princeton with a cannabis Rex speaker in it on his Patreon videos and it sounds fantastic. Seriously, it’s one of the best tones I’ve ever heard.

Ha! That is the exact reason I bought this amp was based on a video of his.

JayDee

Tele-Holic
Ha! That is the exact reason I bought this amp was based on a video of his.
That also influenced my decision to try one in my Deluxe Reverb. It's worth noting that Duke was using a 10 inch Cannabis Rex in his Princeton Reverb, and also that he's currently replaced it with a Celestron Greenback.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Blackbird 40 is very good sounding speaker. Highs are airy, mids musically rich and lows round. My favorite 12" has been P12Q RI but now I like BB40 at least as much. If I would need to play louder then BB40 would be my choice.

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
I have the same amp. I use a Fender Engager boost pedal. To me it brings the amp alive!
Keep us posted if you do change out the speaker. I have thought it about many times, but I am clueless on what to try. I hate to go down that rabbit hole. The engager works for me.

timbgtr

Tele-Meister
A CRex transformed my Champion 40 into a usable amp, but were I starting from a PRRI, my mileage would surely have varied.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I know a lot of people like the GA-SC64, but it is a relatively warm sounding speaker. The GB128 is an excellent speaker for a PR and just a touch brighter than the former.

benderb9

Tele-Afflicted
This G12H 70th Anniversary transformed my 76 Princeton, the tilt back legs boosted it again. Had also hooked up a G12H 75 Creamback into the ext speaker output and that was good too. May put the Creamback in it someday, but it's so good as it is. The 70th Anniversary has a good range for my amp-tight bass, solid mids and smooth treble. Handles any boost or fuzz I toss at it. Mojo Tone cab.
IMG_1399.JPG

SonicBlueByYou

TDPRI Member
Several guys have said this already, but the best thing I did with that particular amp was yanking the C-Rex and installing the GA-64. The blanket came off and it sounded like a real Princeton then! :)

Creaulx

TDPRI Member
I find the Emi's are good right out of the box. Crex, GA SC64, etc. Yea they break in a little but are good to go upon installation. You either like it or not.
Get a GA SC64 and never look back. Fantastic speaker for the PR or the DR.
Curious if it might tighten up the bottom end at higher volumes in the tweed PRRI that ships with the 12" Cannabis Rex and eliminate the "wet blanket" effect that shows up occasionally when using overdrive.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Curious if it might tighten up the bottom end at higher volumes in the tweed PRRI that ships with the 12" Cannabis Rex and eliminate the "wet blanket" effect that shows up occasionally when using overdrive.
The GA SC64 has plenty of bottom. It just has a nice 'voice' to it.

For cleaner/louder yet I would probably go with an Emi Red White and Blues or the Emi 1258

Creaulx

TDPRI Member
I also noticed the "fartyness" (sorry about that) in the low end on the CRex at high volume - 8 and above - that others have spoken about. The GA-SC64 intrigues me and is probably the right speaker if it can handle low end gain at high volume without crapping out. Love the sound of the stock CRex otherwise, it's very smooth.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
My SFPR has an Eminence 1028 10" loaded and it sounds good but I REALLY like it when I add the small ext. cabinet with a CRex 12". Together this combination is really great for Marty Stewart type Fender tones. YMMV.

Maybe you can add a small extension cabinet with a complimentary speaker? Just a thought.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
(sidestepping the issue of suitability of a particular speaker [or not]..)

Just wanted to point out that the amp is nominally a 12w unit.
The C-Rex is a 50W unit having the typical characteristics of a high-powered, high efficiency modern guitar speaker -- plus -- the cone material is at least partially hemp.

Translation: Breaking in this speaker is gonna require a: a lot of time and b: more power into it.