Providing weapons to local thugs: avast, me swabbies!

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Back in the late 50's, our dad would cut out flat wooden 'tommy guns' on his bandsaw for us.
Budding Tommies in our neighbourhood, coveted the Sten gun, that one of our number had...... His Dad was a joiner, I think.
My Dad was a postman. Not much good, at DIY- but I always had good gloves. ;)

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Great image. I remember when playing was like that. Mudballs were the doomsday weapons and ditches were the trenches of war. The elite rained down fire from treehouses.
Same here. I grew up in a small town with lots of fields and open lots. When somebody built a house we had the big hole for the cellar and the (seemed huge) hill of dirt from the hole. This made for many hours and days of playing king of the hill and whatever else we dreamed up with plenty of dirt clods for grenades. Of course this was a time when all the kids were outdoors unless called home for meals. Not phone called home, the rule was not to venture further than you could hear Mom yell from the back porch unless previous permission was obtained.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Way to go @Peegoo! A lot of people complain about the kids these days, and all that is wrong with society. I guess its a lot easier to complain than to do something about it. You have enriched these kid's lives, and in a small way, made the world better for it. I bet most of these kids will remember the bike ramp and swords for the rest of their lives. Who knows what this small gesture will inspire through them in the years to come.
Cheers! That is precisely why I do this stuff: I'm simply paying it forward. I remember similar stuff from my own childhood, and they are all good memories.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Meh. I'll countersue them for being goobers 🤣

If any of that were going to happen, it already would've. Because about six months ago I built the kids a bike ramp so they could jump their bikes. One of the dads had rested a hunk of plywood on a concrete block in the street, and that was their ramp. Functional? Yes. But safe? Hell no!

So I asked the kids what sort of ramp they wanted. Of course, they all asked for something too ridiculously high. So I did some research on how to make a safe ramp (if such a thing actually exists...and YES it does), and I built a 'kicker' style with a curved surface to launch 'em into the air. There have been crashes, but no real injuries. Heck, the bikes these kids ride are dangerous enough because they're cheap junk and their parents don't maintain them, so I'm teaching the kids about that too.

Before I gave the ramp to the kids I put one of them in charge of it, and told him if I ever saw anyone riding over that ramp without a helmet, I would reposess it and they would not get it back, ever.

It is quite surprising just how well kids police themselves when given responsibility--and being made clearly aware of consequences for failure to follow the rules. They still have the ramp!
Never say never! But it’s not as if everyone’s parents aren’t aware they use it by now.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Peegoo, as many others have said, you are to be commended.

It’s always good to see kids outside playing instead of what I am doing now.

This thread reminds me of when I was a boy in Vacation Bible School, and the older kids got to make wooden swords. But I think they just painted them. I thought those were some cool swords.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Man this thread brings back memories... not all good and some really painful. LOL

Kids will do what kids do. An abandoned house becomes a fortress. A tall tree a Swiss Family Robinson place to dwell. An unfinished cellar, a dungeon or bunker.

I remember we had this really raggedy piece of property that sat between two subdivisions. It was overgrown with thorny bushes, tall trees and lots of weeds. But the neighborhood kids claimed that piece of property as their own. It even had a small creek (drainage ditch) that ran down the middle. We blocked up the ditch so we had a small puddle at the time in the center, made a ramp that allowed up to jump over it and cut trails all through that property so we could ride our BMX bikes all around. Banked curves, jumps, and all we wanted was on that track. We even built two massive tree houses on opposite ends of the property with boards and supplies we pilfered from the surrounding area. We spent two years playing in that area, and then one day after school we rode our bikes to the site and there was a large bulldozer plowing under our track.
The two tree houses were destroyed and the drainage ditch was rerouted so they couple build new houses there.

We were pretty bitter and I will say some of those new houses had some delays caused by the actions of my friends.

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
There was local developer who also owned a golf course that owned a replica of a pirate ship. It was basically a pontoon boat with a replica of a pirate ship built on top of it. He had a camp in the summer for a few weeks that kids would attend, outdoor events, etc. He hired me a few times to play for the kids at the end of the day while they sat around a fire and roasted marshmallows. Good memories and I'm sure the kids had a great time.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
My dad made me wooden swords.
I made them for my kids.
I still want a real one but can’t justify a reason.
Clearing underbrush maybe?
Harbor Freight sells machetes pretty cheap. They’re fun and legal. As long as you don’t get them stuck in someone else………. don’t ask. In other news, my brother can play the banjo with one hand!