Proud of Myself

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My brother-in law-tried to trade in a Martin X-series 12-string at Guitar Center, but they would not offer him anything for it. They said it was in such poor condition that it would cost more to repair than the guitar would be worth. I don't have much experience with setups - none with acoustics - but I told him I would take a look at it. Sure enough, it was unplayable. The neck bow was something you could shoot an arrow with. The string action could be measured with a yardstick. And it was impossible to tune. But I figured I'd take a shot at it, what the heck, it's worthless as-is anyway.

First I adjusted the truss rod. These Martins (all acoustics?) require a hex wrench with a super long stem. By good fortune I had one in the right size (5mm). Gave it a few rounds of tightening, ended up bringing it all the way as far as it would go. Got almost all the bow out. Just a bit of relief, but close enough. Giving it some humidity probably helped too - it seemed pretty dry. So the neck is close to straight but the strings are still a mile off the board. Must be the saddle. Took some measurements, and I ended up sanding off a ton. I took off at least 3/64 across the bottom, maybe more. Might have still gone a bit more but I didn't want to push it. Polished the whole thing. Tightened the tuners, which were all loose and rattling. Next, new strings. I'd asked my BIL when the last time he changed them. "Never." Ah, got it. Popped the new strings on. (Lord, 12-strings are a pain....) And.....?

Perfect. The guitar plays perfectly. The nut was good. The action is now good. Maybe the tiniest bit high in the middle, but like I said I didn't want to push it and go too far, and with 12-strings you're pretty much up at the top of the neck all the time anyway. I played it quite a lot over a few days, just to see if everything was stable. Yep. Solid as a rock. And GC told him it was worthless. All it needed was a setup.

So my BIL is very happy, and I am pretty proud of myself. Thanks TDPRI, because I have pretty much learned all the little I know right here.

Last edited:

Griendrrrr

TDPRI Member
What a great story, I almost feel your joy. I recently asked a friend to babysit me while i tried my first setup. i learned the basics. Now whenever a guitar or bass of mine goes out, I know where to start. it's a great feeling having control over your own gear at your fingertips, right then and there. no drop off pick up, hope they set up the way you would, what are the chances ?

Great Job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
How was/is the neck angle? The X series should have the "simple dovetail" which is still a bit funky to reset. I would guess that is what GC was talking about but I would never take a guitar to them for any work (or resell for that matter).

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
How was/is the neck angle? The X series should have the "simple dovetail" which is still a bit funky to reset. I would guess that is what GC was talking about but I would never take a guitar to them for any work (or resell for that matter).
It’s the tiniest bit off, but well within the range of acceptable. Before the truss rod was adjusted it was noticeable. You could really see it where the neck meets the body. But tightening the truss rod pulled it back almost all the way. Playability is good.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
Believe me I know the feeling you get when you bring a guitar that might be brushed off as not deserving of the cost of professional repairs back to the condition it can again do what it was meant to. It is kind of par for the course when you have a thing for old Harmonys and Kays. I recently got into a kitchen neck reset on an old Harmony Sovereign. First time that guitar has been playable in over a decade. Best guess is considering what an X Series 12 string sells for new GC figured there was no money to be had especially if they would have to throw in the time it took their repair department to do what was essentially a full set up. I would be willing to bet though if the trade was needed to cinch a deal on a $5K guitar GC would have given him something on a trade in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

envirodat

Tele-Meister
A nice story! I have learned a lot from folks here at TDPRI. Folks like Freeman and others who have shared their adventures and knowledge have been great helpers. Because of them, I have learned set up skills and what was once intimidating is now a fun puzzle.