• yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
If you have to ask…

I think it would depend on the topic and how specific the lyrics are.

If it’s a vague song about how we all need to be each other’s loving neighbour or stick up for what is right then you’re probably fine. But if it’s a song specifically about a very controversial hot topic/person then I’d expect that song to be your last post.

But I’m going to guess it’s not appropriate because you’ve called it a protest song.

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
If you have to ask…

I think it would depend on the topic and how specific the lyrics are.

If it’s a vague song about how we all need to be each other’s loving neighbour or stick up for what is right then you’re probably fine. But if it’s a song specifically about a very controversial hot topic/person then I’d expect that song to be your last post.

But I’m going to guess it’s not appropriate because you’ve called it a protest song.

Right. I've been writing about Covid, QAnon, MAGA's, Proud Boys, and what used to be Church.

Thanks. Absent actual permission to post, the prohibition on controversy also rubs me the wrong way. But! It's not my forum, so there it is. Step to the back and be quiet.

Thanks Everyone!

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
Those topics are certainly prohibited.

the prohibition on controversy also rubs me the wrong way.

Those rules go a long way to keep the peace here. Obviously sex, drug, political, religion and hate discussions are important but the forum moderators don't volunteer to play referee in our online cat fights.

Best kept on the likes of Facebook and Twitter where it's a free for all.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
I’d avoid it.

That's my take.

Personally, even if the said subject matter were 'welcomed' I wouldn't listen anyway.
No offense PhatFinger.....but, I don't listen to political/religious/maudlin love songs anyway even though the musicianship of the players may be stellar.

Oh well....that's just me.

Have a great day all....

popthree

Poster Extraordinaire
i've posted stuff here that has political and religious inferences, but i typically don't make things black and white obvious... so it then just becomes interpretative.. and that's on the listener.

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
Go figure,

My clumsy GarageBand layup of "To The Editor" (link) is being aired by the Portland underground livestream ... ShadyPinesRadio.com this weekend.

"We’ll play your song this Sunday on ShadyPinesRadio.com sometime between 8-11:00 PDT.
Join and invite friends to the Facebook event! https://fb.me/e/1SpK33ycC"
I'm enjoying the thought that doinking in GarageBand is sufficient for a sub-quality demo - the best I could do and still be lazy at the same time.

Lockback

Tele-Meister
I just find it ironic that those who were protesting against the government 50 years ago are now saying we should blindly follow the government.
Interesting, that.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I just find it ironic that those who were protesting against the government 50 years ago are now saying we should blindly follow the government.
Interesting, that.
They were so much older then, they’re younger than that now.:)

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Interesting, that.
The people who protested 50 years copped out but it has nothing to do with blindly following anything. They pursue their own self interest.
The only folks who blindly follow anything are those who don’t stay informed with the facts and sound evidence.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Too late now. I can only wonder what would have happened if you would have simply posted the song without posting the lyrics, and without saying anything about protest songs or anything, then wait.

I also wonder why do you need to post the lyrics? If we can't get all the lyrics just by listening to your recording then maybe it's not recorded correctly?

FabriceKaiser

TDPRI Member
I’m game:

“In a soldier’s stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I’d become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My existence led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now”
Cool! Where can we listen to it!