• yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
Mods, Et.al.,

About posting a political protest song lyric. Question is: May I / Should I do so here?

Based on the forum qualification "IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here."

Thought I'd ask first...

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Moderators would watch with interest.
IMO it would be blocked fairly quickly. None of those "easy to write about subjects" will slip in here ..... drugs, sex, politics, religion.

I guess it would depend on the "tone" and specifics of the lyrics.
Your lyrics may not be offensive, but often the replies degenerate into .......

With only 7 posts, I would not like to see you sent to the naughty corner.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A knifes edge balancing act to keep it appropriate. The comments would be the most likely to blow the rules. What could be wrong with songs like "blowing in the wind" "eve of destruction" "imagine" "get up, stand up"....and many others...... all political protest songs that should be fine. I've got a few myself that would fit into that genre.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I think the intent of that guideline is that all content here is “discussion”. If it isn’t, I suspect the guidelines would then be somehow clarified and restated to apply to discussion and all other content. Anyway, how, would you think they could limit something other than a substantive discussion, so that it wouldn’t evolve into a substantive one?! Turn off comments?!

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
I think the intent of that guideline is that all content here is “discussion”. If it isn’t, I suspect the guidelines would then be somehow clarified and restated to apply to discussion and all other content. Anyway, how, would you think they could limit something other than a substantive discussion, so that it wouldn’t evolve into a substantive one?! Turn off comments?!

Interesting distinction!

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
A knifes edge balancing act to keep it appropriate. The comments would be the most likely to blow the rules. What could be wrong with songs like "blowing in the wind" "eve of destruction" "imagine" "get up, stand up"....and many others...... all political protest songs that should be fine. I've got a few myself that would fit into that genre.

Thanks, sort of what I thought...

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
Moderators would watch with interest.
IMO it would be blocked fairly quickly. None of those "easy to write about subjects" will slip in here ..... drugs, sex, politics, religion.

I guess it would depend on the "tone" and specifics of the lyrics.
Your lyrics may not be offensive, but often the replies degenerate into .......

With only 7 posts, I would not like to see you sent to the naughty corner.

Yup, thanks. That's why I asked.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I certainly wouldn't post a song saying it's political, or even protest, just as a song.

Just post it;
title (lyric)

There are already quite a few songs posted like that, that could be interpreted as political or religious or are sexually evocative, and have been acceptably tolerated.

Try it. I'm intrigued as to what you have to offer. I'll post one of mine and see what happens, called "When the revolution comes"

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I certainly wouldn't post a song saying it's political, or even protest, just as a song.

Just post it;
title (lyric)

There are already quite a few songs posted like that, that could be interpreted as political or religious or are sexually evocative, and have been acceptably tolerated.

Try it. I'm intrigued as to what you have to offer. I'll post one of mine and see what happens, called "When the revolution comes"
Ahh, yes.
Naughty little children trying to see how far they they can push the boundaries.
Eventually they all end up in the naughty corner.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I’m game:

“In a soldier’s stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I’d become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My existence led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now”
Well, Bob does a lot of protest songs.
More interested in your offerings.

jaxjaxon

Tele-Holic
I have found it has to do with using a persons name within the content of the post. The two times I have been warned and my post taken down are when I name a person specifically. They did not tell me that was the reason but that is the only thing I did different in a reply to a thread.

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
I have found it has to do with using a persons name within the content of the post. The two times I have been warned and my post taken down are when I name a person specifically. They did not tell me that was the reason but that is the only thing I did different in a reply to a thread.

Interesting. No names.

PhatFinger

TDPRI Member
So far the voting is slightly against. Which is cool. And why I asked in the first place.

Will wait somewhat longer, keep watching. To me, it's no biggie. But if others have qualms, I'll defer.

Thanks everyone!