1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Protecting your Amps Inner Beauty

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by teleforman, Jan 26, 2021.

1. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

TDPRI crew, I built a custom cab for a blues jr. It went great and I could not be more pleased with the result. I am now converting a custom cab I made for an EVM 12L into a combo. The cab is made out of Baltic Birch and I am converting it to accommodate the electrical guts of a Peavey Classic 30. I was going to cover the wood inside where the amp is with Aluminum or copper tape to protect against outside interference and protect the wood. Good Idea or a waste of $$$ and valuable time?

Of course the Peavey cab was some flavor of pressboard. It was also painted black inside, perhaps to match the black tolex outside. Is the black paint covering inside a flame retardant or does it protect against heat? Is there something you recommend I put/apply inside the cab?

2. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

i stapled this under the top for shielding: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-6...jwxZsen44fANiNGqqyhoC5RcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

think I just coated the inside with sealer since i was using old pine. then basic stain and tung oil on outside

teleforman likes this.
  3. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Only the actual panel that covers the chassis's electrical components need to be shielded. You can do as hepular mentioned and attach a piece of metal or aluminum shielding or use foil tape. The rest of the cabinet's interior can be finished any way you like.

hepular and teleforman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.