"Protected by..." signs on one's house - yes or no?

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
No sign, and doors also lock from the outside.

Pitbull.jpg

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
Did a job once at a facility that had signs that read,
"Danger Toxicodendron Radicans"

Very effective keeping unwanted people out. Unless they're into horticulture, know the Latin name for poison ivy and aren't worried about poison ivy.

Eventually the local folks got all worked up about this "terrible substance" and the fertilizer plant had to take the signs down. :)

MTguitar

Tele-Meister
We have dogs and a Ring system. Car and shed have been broken into. House has never been touched.

I’m a big believer in dogs. They have been alarming owners and protecting property for thousands of years.

I don’t expect or need mine to attack. Just let me know someone is around and I’ll take care of the rest with my 1911.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I agree. Signs from 3 different companies is a dead giveaway that he's faking.

I never understood the "protected by" gun signs. Anybody crazy enough to try to rob an occupied house is probably not going to be deterred. To anyone looking to rob you while you're at work, that sign says: "Need a gun you can sell or use to commit a crime? You're in the right place!"

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
I have signs on both sides of my privacy fence stating that we have video surveillance, which we do. We also keep car door locks & outside porch lights on. We have a lot of break ins from thugs looking for open car doors. Unfortunately, a man a few blocks away made the poor decisions of stepping outside during one of the instances & was shot several times, not fatal though.

lmjmitchell

Tele-Holic
We have an alarm system with a sign in the yard and a few stickers on the doors.

They should be more concerned with the free lead injection rather than the alarm if they choose to break in.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We have an alarm system and stickers on the windows. When we're at home, our 'ever alert' Yorkiepoo is alert to any out-of-place sounds. Her bed is under the night table next to my side of the bed. We also have, ahem, a back-up plan. I'll never be anyone's victim.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I display nothing but our street number because I want an intruder to be surprised about what's in store for him/her. Spoiler alert: It doesn't end well. My conceal carry instructor said to expect to be put in jail for about 72 hrs. while the lawyers work it out.

what happens when you aren't home? or maybe you just stay home?

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Years ago a friend of mine owned a home security system company. When we bought a new house he gave me five of his window warning stickers. He said, "You don't need a system, just use these." That's my idea of a real friend.

There were a lot of signs for various home security companies in front of homes in our neighborhood. Apparently there had been a rash of daytime burglaries several years before we moved in, and a lot of people felt the need for some sort of protection. It seems that the burglaries were probably the work of one person or group of people, and they either were caught or moved on. We never heard of any sort of crime in the seven years that we lived there. Maybe the signs worked, who knows?

Last edited:

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
You can't think rationally. While there are professional burglars, most of the people that burgle homes are drug addicts. They are often not thinking rationally, and definitely not sophisticated enough to be disabling alarms like in a spy movie (two alligator clips and it's disabled... yeah right). Their crimes are more of opportunity, in close proximity to where they live. If a home has a legit alarm, that's probably enough of a deterrent for the average drug addict. But as pointed out, if there's three different signs, that suggest there's no actual alarm.

I don't think the "this house has an alarm thus they must have good stuff to steal" assumption is correct. Lots of people have house alarms, even those with nothing of particular value to steal. A lot of new construction homes in my area come wired for alarms. People don't get them just for burglars, but also for fire. If you're smoke alarm is going off while your house is empty, the alarm company will contact the fire department.

Around our place (in San Francisco) a lot of people post video and photos of these addict lookin types checkin doors and gates at night. I think this post nails the bad guys in my neighborhood at least. There have been a couple cases where they crowbarred open a security gate and front door, in the middle of the day while people were home. But those losers ran as soon as people started yelling.

We have an alarm service and each time we have triggered it on accident, we had angry police to deal with and surprisingly fast. I hope they respond like that if it is ever for real.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
I have a sign and window stickers for my alarm system (which is active and monitored). Also have a ring camera at front door and a 6 CCTV monitoring system. If there is an intrusion, fire or medical emergency activation (medical is manual) the alarm company will send a text message. If not responded to, they will proceed to contact the police, fire department or EMS depending on the type of detection received.

In the seven years since I had the alarm system installed, once by accident, I activated the medical alarm changing out the backup battery. Within 10 minutes the EMS folks arrived. Later I noticed that I had received a text message but failed to respond that it was an accidental activation.