1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Prostate cancer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blues Hurler, Sep 12, 2008.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Glad to hear you are doing well. Two friends went thru this, one opted for surgery the other medication treatment. The surgery friend is 100% recovered and cured , the other although he is doing well, it is taking gobs oif time, two years now..

t

2. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear all went well Blues.

3. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

Everyone should have a PSA test as part of their regular physical. It's something that no guy wants to think about and that's why it goes undiagnosed for a lot of men until it's too late. There are worse things that can happen to you, but when you get the word, it still feels like a horse just kicked you in the stomach.
    The real problem with having prostate cancer is you don't know what to expect afterward, and it's very hard to find accurate information. It's something no one seems to want to talk about, even your doctor.

A year after my prostatectomy I'm back to normal, but there were some tough times right after my surgery that I wish I'd been better prepared for.
    If you need any info, send me a PM.

4. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

I was 52 when I was diagnosed and my doctor had never done a digital exam or a PSA test. If I hadn't mentioned some symptoms that I'd been having, I wonder how long she would have gone before testing me. I wasn't even sure I was going to mention the symptoms to her; I pretty much attributed them to getting older. I'm sure glad I said something! The finger up the butt doesn't hurt; it's more embarrassing than anything else. Don't let your vanity get in the way of being tested when you get to be 50!

5. catalankid

catalankid Tele-Meister

Hang in there buddy. I am fighting cancer now myself. I have colon cancer that has progressed to my liver,and my wife and I decided to do the treatment that enhances my best chance for survival. I wasn't even going to mention it on the forum, but after all, we are here to share each other's burdens, right? This forum and it's brotherhood has helped me maintain my sanity through all of this. I've got stage 4 cancer, and I'm a lot like you, I think it's too early to check out yet. I have 2 young grandsons and 5 kids and a sweet wife and 3 sweet guitars to play. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk. I was diagnosed this April, and am doing chemo now. It's going to save my life. So, do whatever will work best for you. Read as much as you can about it. Educate yourself and have faith that God will look out for you. You are in my prayers.

6. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

catalankid--> good luck to you too!

7. catalankid

catalankid Tele-Meister

Thanks so much kp8.

8. otaypanky

otaypanky Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Well you guys sure have changed me around. At 56 I can remember having one physical, back around '94. And that dr. was in so much of a hurry I'm not sure he knew if I had a heartbeat. I'm one of those guys who maybe chose to try and not think about it. But the OP's post and so many of you here sharing stories have made me decide it's time to admit I'm way more fragile than I cared to admit. Thank you all, and my prayers to those fighting to win.

9. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Catalankid - you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

10. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Best of luck to both of you, Blues and Catalan.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

instead of starting a new thread, i'll just put my query here on this one.

i have to have an exam tomorrow, my psa was very high. my question is: if it should be that i have to have an operation or other treatment and afterwards i find that i am physically impotent, is there a drug they can give you to curb, dull or otherwise diminish your libido?

(not a joke question)

12. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

I'm not aware of one, but don't be worried about that. These days they have excellent results with robotic surgery. Just give yourself time to heal and follow your doctors suggestions. It's a bit of a long haul, but with reasonable expectations, you'll get back in the game. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing. Good luck!

13. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

I'm not too familiar with the treatments & procedures involved with prostate cancer. So I don't have any advice to offer.
    I've been through chemo. Actually still going through it until early next year. But the nasty part is done with.
    All I can say is my thoughts & prayers are with you. And hang in there. It probably won't be pleasant. But if you keep your mind strong you'll get through it okay.

14. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Sure does pay to know your body, a mate is about to have one and possibly both of the " twins " removed. Just in time in his case hopefully.

>>>>>>>>>>
    Irony is seeing your proctologist driving the wrong way down a one way street.:D

15. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

GET CHECKED!

Drug to curb your libido? Why?

My Dad had it and survived after chemo and radiation, though it was a struggle and he had to have scar tissue removed later. My older brother had it and had it entirely removed. My sister had ovarian cancer and did not survive. My aunt had brain cancer and did not survive.

I had a scare a couple of years ago when my PSA numbers were wacko after unrelated surgery. I was cancer free according to the biopsy, but my prostate was gigantic so I took a drug to shrink it. The side effects were quite unpleasant, but I'm off it now and at least I don't need to pee all the time. I get checked twice a year (more frequently if I get an earlier appointment) now.

If I ever found myself with cancer, I'd have it surgically removed if at all possible, but the medical community has options which should be considered.

Peace, Mike.

16. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I guess I'm lucky my PSA has remained fairly low since I was told to keep an eye on things and get checked regularly.

I wish you the best.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck with everything. I have two friends that was been through what you're going through and are doing well.

18. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

I had the robotic prosatectomy two years ago. Just before my surgery, I talked to a guy who had been through it a couple years prior. He said to give myself a year to feel back to normal, and it proved true. For months following the surgery I was tired and just didn't have any energy, and there was occasional discomfort. But after a year, I finally felt my energy return and felt like my old self.
    Prostate cancer is something no one wants to even think about, but it happens all the time.

A friend of mine had the surgery recently. He had been having symptoms for a long time and didn't say anything. He had to go to Stanford for his surgery, and he's now beginning hormone and radiation treatments due to evidence that his cancer had spread beyond his prostate before the surgery.

Don't worry, you'll have sex afterward. Well, not right afterward, but soon enough.

19. cherry412

cherry412 TDPRI Member

20. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Guys -- folks -- you need to look at the post dates. This thread is over a year old. I'm sure by now the OP (Blues Hurler) has had this taken care of some time ago.

Normally we lock "zombie" threads like this one, but due to the nature of the thread I let it go yesterday when someone brought it back up from the Archives. But, please notice... it is not a new thread.

(This is why we went folks to start new threads, not bring up old out of date threads)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.