pros and cons of selling a guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dudeman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. dudeman

dudeman TDPRI Member

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about selling a guitar. I have managed to acquire 10 guitars and I haven't sold any of them yet. I am thinking about selling my Gibson ES-125 to raise some funds to start my own shop to where I can make my own guitars. This has been a personal goal of mine for the past few years. So the big pro for me is I get a good start on one of my goals. The big con for me is that I am losing a guitar. I have never been close with this guitar, in fact it only gets played a couple of times s year. I would like to get some opinions on whether to sell it or not. It is a 1954 Gibson ES-125. Any suggestions on pricing if I do sell it. It is beat up a little and the original tuners have been replaced, but it is good other than that.

Attached Files:

2. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I'm no expert, but that guitar is worth a lot. There must be a "blue book" for used guitars out there somewhere-do a search, and check what they are going for on ebay as well. Do you still have the original tuners? That would be a plus.

3. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I just looked them up and they're going for $1-2000. Not as much as I thought, still decent money. I think maybe I'd keep it. Hell,I sold my junky old refinned 62 Strat for $3700! The plus was I still had all the original non-functioning pups, switch, pots, trem arm and rusty bridge, plus the worn out neck w/original tuners! It made a big difference!

4. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

1-2k is about what I see on those depending on model and condition.
    I'd take it off your hands if I had the cash. The 125 is one of my favorites.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah you already covered the pros/cons, which are the same for every "selling a guitar" scenario
    pros-$
    cons-no guitar

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Guitars are tools. If you're not using it and need the funds to get something you will use, do it. One caveat though - if you have a sentimental attachment to it, don't do it.

7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

The best way I know of to price a used guitar is to go on Ebay.

Do an Advanced Search, enter in your keywords, select Musical Instruments & Gear as the category, click the Completed Listings check box, and you can also set a minimum and maximum price too if you want. Then click Search.

Like this -

[​IMG]

The subsequent listings will usually show both red and green numbers.... Red numbers are listings that did not sell (overpriced) and green numbers are the actuall selling price of items that were sold.

This is usually a good place to start when I have no idea what something is worth.

Good luck with your new business!

8. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

you said you really arent attached to the guitar, the way I see it is get rid of 1 old Gibby and then you can start making LOTS of new guitars. 1<Many

or

something that brings you a little joy a couple times a year v/s a hobby that brings you joy constantly

I say Go For It!

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

succinct. :cool:

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I bought my White Falcon from the guy who started Hanson guitars. He was selling it so he could start his guitar company. I think his guitar company is doing okay and he prolly doesn't miss the Falcon much.

11. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Depends if the money will make a big difference or not. When i regret selling something it's usually when the money I make back doesn't really make much difference, for example I sold my blues deluxe to buy another pinball machine and now I think why didn't I just keep the blues deluxe even if I wasn't using it that much? I didn't really need the money from it as I had enough saved up anyway for the pinball machine.

12. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

A big question for me is how hard would it be to replace the guitar (or amp) if I decide I made a mistake.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I swear, every time I read this title on the sidebar, I keep seeing, "The pros and cons of sniffing glue." I doubt that helps the OP much, but there you go.

14. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

I don't think there would be many cons to that thread though? If any?

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's hard to miss a guitar you seldom play.

16. dsginzen

dsginzen Tele-Meister

I'd sell it. They can be cool guitars, but if you don't play it, sell it to help fund your dream.

But that's gotta be a sweet sounding pickup...

17. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

No advice on selling guitars, but if you start building them be careful. One moment of inattention could end your guitar playing forever. Those saws don't care what they cut through.

Best of luck.

18. dudeman

dudeman TDPRI Member

I want to say thank you to everyone who has commented so far. I think I will sell it, as long as I don't change my mind over night.

Thank You Big_Bend I never knew you could do that with ebay.

dsginzen, the pickup is good, it feeds back to much for me though. It also sounds pretty good unplugged. It just doesn't match my playing style. It seems I always come back to my tele. I have bought 7 guitars since my tele and none seem to match it.

Dog Fart, first, I really like your name. But I have grew up around a large amount of power tools. I learned quickly that you have to respect them or they will hurt you bad. I about broke my wrist with a drill going though a brick wall when I was 14 because it caught and I didn't let go of it. I am a bit smarter than that now though.

dsutton24, It may not have been related, but it was a good laugh after a stressful day at work.

19. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I was almost certain you knew the dangers of power tools. It's just a piece of advice I give everyone whose thinking about building. Kinda like don't eat the yellow snow type advice.

Though I remember an old country player by the name of Dick who cut off the thumb and pointing finger on his left hand in a drunken building accident. Never met a man whose name fit his personality any better.

20. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

I've bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years. What I've learned is that if I wasn't really using a guitar, that it wasn't going to be missed. However, there were times that I was thinking of selling one and then took it out to get it ready for sale and play it for the last time only to remember why I wanted it in the first place. If you have any doubts, hold off because you don't want to be wondering what happened to the one you let get away.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.