1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pros and Cons of Kit vs. Modern Production Amps

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Okieactor, Dec 8, 2020.

1. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Personally, if you plan to keep the amp and play it, I would build it in a heartbeat. If you might want to sell it, EVER, then buy a Fender.

I can build an amp for MUCH less than I can buy one, mostly because of my woodworking skills- an amp cab is very doable if you've got the tools and know-how. Heck, you can get the pine boards for a PR cab for probably $25, and shop around for tolex and grill cloth. I have about $50 TOTAL in my head/speaker cab I built for my Silverface Pro Reverb, and it looks GREAT. The satisfaction I get out of playing my own amps that I built is also priceless. Just be forewarned that it probably won't be your only build.;)

2. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

I find a bunch of satisfaction in building things. It soothes me and makes me happy. It’s very therapeutic.

Some people consider what their time is worth and say that makes the cost of a hand built amp very high.

I think about how much a therapist would cost me and think that the parts are probably cheaper than that. :D

So in the end I’m breaking even. Possibly even saving money. At least that’s what I tell my wife.

Okieactor, bromdenlong and SacDAve like this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I built a PR last year. It was my second build, the first was a 5f11. The PR was significantly more complex, but both fired up immediately. You'll be money ahead, learn a lot and it's just more fun to play your own. Read up on the Princeton, as well as amp startup and troubleshooting procedures at RobRob's site.

https://robrobinette.com/AA1164_Princeton_Reverb.htm

SacDAve and LudwigvonBirk like this.
  4. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Absolutely, it's a worthy concern.

I pass on the advice I ignored: "A PR is tricky. Build a 5E3 then build a PR."

But yeah, there's no feeling like firing up the amp you built and hearing it work. Every time.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Okieactor likes this.
  5. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Currently attempting the pine cab. Give me an idea of whether this is as doable as I think. At least a starting point. Or maybe more of an idea of how committed I am. F519A300-1CB3-4AE4-965D-0E02833E6AEB.jpeg

6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

It'll cost the same and when you sell it, because you decided you really can hear a difference when it says Fender on the amp, you'll have to give the kit away.

7. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

For those recommending the 5E3, is it easier to build a 5E3 with an effects loop (I assume you could do that??), or the Princeton reverb with reverb and trem onboard? I read the site that was mentioned and it talks about the reverb and trem adding a fair amount of the difficulty.

8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

It's absolutely doable. I build my cabs with a dovetail jig, but the finger joints will be just as good. I mean, you're basically building a four sided box with an angle at the top. Here are a couple of pics of my Silverface cab build. Just go slow, measure everything exactly, and have fun.

cabs 1.jpg
    cabs 2.jpg
    cabs 3.jpg

SacDAve, trancedental and Okieactor like this.
  9. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Nice.

10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I was showing my 11 year old the amp I will be working on next:

"Dad, you DO realize that amp is $2,000 and $600?"

My Reply:

"Yes, but I'm going to build it for $800!"

Okieactor likes this.
  11. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

My first build was a 5F6a Bassman from a kit. I did it as a head. I built the head cab and a 2 x 10" speaker cab. I was all in for about $800 with speakers and transformers.

I could have probably found a used Reissue Bassman for about the same price, but any kind of hand wired amp from a pro builder would have been more. Who knows what the resale value would be but I bet not that much, the speaker cab is probably worth more than the amp.

If you figure in the satisfaction, learning experience, etc. it was well worth for me. I'm on my 5th tube amp build now, so be careful if you start, it's addicting.

Okieactor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.