Proper Cable for Fender Bassman Piggyback

woodbutcher

Tele-Meister
I just recently got my old 1964 Fender Bassman (serial# A 00185/AA864 circuit) head repaired and am going to try it hooking it up to a V.T. Bassman 15" (serial# 9790) cabinet. It's been so long since I used it that I don't have my old cord to connect the two and I'm not sure what to use. Will any unbalanced TS cord work for this? I have an old coil guitar cable to try but I am thinking about picking up a short ( 2-3 foot) cable. Just don't want to damage anything because I don't know what I'm doing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_081846_01.jpg
    IMG_20220525_081846_01.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 14

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Any speaker cable. Or make one from lamp cord.
You can use a short guitar cable for testing. I've done it a dozens of times.
But get a speaker cable. A guitar cable may have some losses due to the shielding.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Any speaker cable. Or make one from lamp cord.
You can use a short guitar cable for testing. I've done it a dozens of times.
But get a speaker cable. A guitar cable may have some losses due to the shielding.

SPEAKER cable. @schmee and everyone else is spot on.

"Short guitar cable for testing" is only going to work at the lowest volume. And even then, I would not trust the guitar cable afterwards.

Guitar cables have one conductor and a shield. They're made to transmit millivolts and milliamps.

Speaker cables have two (2) conductors and no shield. They're made to transmit volts and amps.

It's not too difficult to melt the conductor in a guitar cord with a speaker signal. Then, your Output Transformer is probably seeing an open circuit (they absolutely hate that) or maybe a dead short (they don't like those that much either) and the guitar cord is garbage.

Lamp cord, vacuum cleaner cord, any 2-conductor power cord works perfectly.

For ease of creation and distinction, I like the jumbo phone jacks:

Or, you could do what normal people do and buy a 3' speaker cable from the Guitarget or the local shop and move on with your life.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Tele-Meister
Hey, thanks for all the quick responses. A quick search for speaker cables vs. guitar cables revealed exactly what you warned me about. Now to find a short 2-3' cord with a right angled connector on one end that doesn't cost $55.95!

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
Hey, thanks for all the quick responses. A quick search for speaker cables vs. guitar cables revealed exactly what you warned me about. Now to find a short 2-3' cord with a right angled connector on one end that doesn't cost $55.95!
For a piggyback amp, there is no reason you need an angle connector. On a combo an angle is used because it stays plugged in during transport. If you move a piggyback,you need to unplug the speaker. A quality cable should cost under $10.

woodbutcher

Tele-Meister
So W. L. suggested a cord that is sold on Reverb as a speaker cable which fits my idea of what I want. It's made up of Mogami 3082 wire with Neutrik NP2X ends. The wire seems to be like a hybrid with a coaxial construction. I wanted to get some thoughts on whether this wire is really good enough for my intended purpose. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
So W. L. suggested a cord that is sold on Reverb as a speaker cable which fits my idea of what I want. It's made up of Mogami 3082 wire with Neutrik NP2X ends. The wire seems to be like a hybrid with a coaxial construction. I wanted to get some thoughts on whether this wire is really good enough for my intended purpose. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Why? You just need 2-conductor, standard speaker cable, 18 gauge. In your application there is no advantage to shielded cable, and this is a very expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Explanation (if you need it): when your signal is low level, shielding prevents low level external noise, especially on long runs. Your speaker cable will be sending high level signal through a short run, any noise will be insignificant. Also, coax cable is essentially a capacitor and, for various reasons, you want as little capitance as possible in this application.

Last edited:

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
Coaxial was not designed for speaker cable. There is no advantage and theoretically there is a disadvantage for using coaxial speaker cable. I doubt you could hear a difference but coaxial will likely cost more.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

$26 for two (2) plugs & two "F" caps, supply your own lamp cord & solder vs. $27 for the cable

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire

No need to spend $30.00​

Hosa SKJ-403 REAN 1/4" TS Pro Speaker Cable, 3 Feet​

Amazon lists this for $9.95
Sold and shipped by Amazon

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's

$26 for two (2) plugs & two "F" caps, supply your own lamp cord & solder vs. $27 for the cable
If you spend more than $10 for a 3' speaker cable, let me sell you some magic beans.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
If you spend more than $10 for a 3' speaker cable, let me sell you some magic beans.
I only spend money on plugs and make my own, as I mentioned above.

No need to spend $30.00​

Hosa SKJ-403 REAN 1/4" TS Pro Speaker Cable, 3 Feet​

Amazon lists this for $9.95
Sold and shipped by Amazon
@woodbutcher wants a cable with a 90° end.