1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Progressive Rock

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ctte2112, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

For some poppier prog, any of Kevin Gilbert's albums will do.

2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Here's a few I did not see mentioned: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Adrian Belew (currently of King Crimson), early Roxy Music, Brian Eno, (formerly of Roxy Music) and Stomu Yamashta's Go.

Dan R

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the premier Dutch Rock band Golden Earring with their dabble in prog.

It starts like a swaggering rock track which then turns into....

4. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Bill Nelson/BeBopDeluxe-"Live in the Air Age" has always been a big fav of mine........

5. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Some great choices here! Blue Oyster Cult is my favorite band, along with Kraftwerk, and I always have to shake my head when people call them a "heavy metai" band. Sure, they can rock with the best of them (all you have to do is listen to "The Red and the Black" or "Hot Rails to Hell" to know that), but they're so much more varied than simply playing heavy metal. Never really thought of them as a prog rock band but teetering on the verge...absolutely when you consider songs like "Astronomy," "Workshop of the Telescopes" and stuff like that.

6. gypsymoth

gypsymoth Tele-Meister

7. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure how solidly they fit the label, but I'd add Traffic to the list to check out.

8. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

The first four Barclay James Harvest albums are pretty proggy:

Barclay James Harvest
    Once Again
    Barclay James Harvest and Other Short Stories
    Baby James Harvest

The Live BBC in Concert 1972 record is very good - the only record of them live with an orchestra.

9. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

On the closer-to-pop-and-hard-rock end of the continuum, you might also check out Kansas.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

11. montanatanner

montanatanner Tele-Meister

I'm also a big Rush fan, have been for decades. Their latest album is definitely the best they've done in a long, long time. I tried for years to get into old prog, but aside from Pink Floyd (I think they're prog) and a few old Yes songs, it's too dated for me. I've also tried to get into prog metal, but other than a few Opeth things and Tool, I could never appreciate Dream Theater and their ilk as much as they deserve. Guess I enjoy a little space between the notes.

I like a lot of modern prog-rock. Porcupine Tree is the most well-known of these now it seems -- I really like about 3/4 of what they do. One of my favorites is Riverside (from Poland (don't worry, lyrics are in English)) -- just an amazing prog-rock band. Anathema has some good stuff too, but they can get a bit tedious at times.

12. Halbert

Halbert TDPRI Member

Sebatian Hardie
    Renaissance
    Pre-1980 Genesis
    UK
    Jethro Tull
    ELP and Triumvirat ( no guitar to speak of though)
    The Nice
    Steve Hackett

[Edit]
    Oh... Marillion.. don't forget Marillion ( I like the albums with "Fish" singing)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  13. Collirem

Collirem Tele-Meister

When I am in the mood for some good prog, I go to Jethro Tull .... Thick As A Brick & A Passion Play. Both excellent albums.

14. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Is Tool a prog band? I don't know what to call Tool; all I know is they're one of my favorite bands ever.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I love Jethro Tull, but I always considered them separate from "progressive rock", just as I consider Pink Floyd to be separate (they're often lumped into this category).

Not sure which Tull albums you've heard, but my favorites are Aqualung, Benefit, Thick as a Brick. I also like Warchild, Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery and Stand Up.

This is a fantastic performance of "My God" from the Aqualung album. It's long, but well worth watching all the way through. If you don't like this, you don't like Tull, period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0woT7NkKI

Love King Crimson as well, especially the Fripp, Wetton, Bruford era of the band. Albums to check out are "Red," "Lark's Tongues in Aspic," "Starless and Bible Black" as well as "King Crimson USA" which is live.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, I forgot about them in my post, and I really like all of the records you mentioned. "Apostrophe" too.

17. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Curved Air.... have they been mentioned? Guys playing the clear plexi Dan Armstrong guitar and bass, and Sonja is so wonderful. Perfect for it's day.

18. Halbert

Halbert TDPRI Member

Ambrosia sometimes got sort of progressive:

19. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

Like ac15, I've never understood the Tull and Pink Floyd association to prog. I mean, I love them both, but Tull seemed more folk based and Floyd a psychedelia based outfit.

One band that never seems to get much mention in the prog arena are the Moody Blues. Not sure why. Maybe I should ask that prog forum. :)

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perhaps that's the reason why the Floyd weren't named in the Rockumentary I posted about prog.

Anyway here's the 90125 line up of Yes.

And here they are in the Drama line up with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes (AKA The Buggles)

And here's PUSA playing what is probably the best known Buggles song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.