Progressive lenses - eyesight to the blind?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I've worn glasses for over 25 years for astigmatism. No big deal to me. I have Rx sunglasses as well. I can see OK without but it's not "great".

However in the past few months (maybe since the pandemic started) I find that I can't see close up any more. I previously couldnt read the TV in bed (mounted on the wall) without my glasses. Now I cant really read this phone or a book without holding it at arms length. (Or I can peer under my glasses to read). Still not perfect.

I need to get this checked out. I'm reluctant to go to progressive lenses and have goofy Jerry Garcia type specs. But not being able to read is getting old.

Any thoughts or advice?

northernguitar likes this.
  2. Blackout Jazz

Blackout Jazz TDPRI Member

I have an astigmatism script for my contacts. Accuvue Oasis. I guess it depends on how bad yours is. I also got my eye doc to meet me in the middle on the nearsighted part. I told him I don't need to count pine needles on a tree, I DO need to read the phone screen. So I have I guess 20/25. Works for me. YMMV.

3. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Go for progressives if the doc says to get them. I was constantly struggling switching from small print on paper to iPhone to computer to white board. Taking my glasses off to read my iPhone and paper, etc.

While I too was reluctant, I switched to progressives about 5 years ago and haven’t looked back since (or at least if I do, I can see what’s behind me).

PS - it takes several weeks to get used to them.

4. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oh. And perhaps a bit Garcia-esque, but could be worse.
    1D92D165-DDA1-434D-B535-06246FA4DBD9.jpeg

skunqesh likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Mine are. Ya..just takes a bit to get use to them.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I've tried progressive glasses 3X. I always go back to two pair - one for computer, one for reading. They give me a headache.

tintag27 and Blackout Jazz like this.
  7. Blackout Jazz

Blackout Jazz TDPRI Member

I let the eye doc talk me into trying the 1 eye near 1 eye far contacts. That lasted almost 3 minutes.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was single vision and astigmatic for a long time, then I couldn't focus close up. I first went bifocal. Marvellous. Then the mid distance went. Bum. Varifocal/progressive lenses. Now I can't see close up again. I 'see' varifocal with a bifocal in my future.
    Embrace them. They don't look any different to single vision lenses nowadays. Take extreme care descending stairs at first. You could ask me how I know, or you could work it out.

scook, Blackout Jazz, Ron C and 2 others like this.
  9. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

I used to see old people reading signs on the wall, throwing their heads back and appearing to snarl.

When I got progressive lenses I found myself doing the same.

But I don't let that keep me from wearing my glasses with progressive lenses. I don't want to miss anything.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Progressive lenses used to be bi/tri-focals. So they've come a long way. Much more seamless in how they work. That said, they still take getting used to. And I don't think they are appropriate to wear all the time. Not for me, anyway. If I need peripheral vision to be clear, even though my nose is not pointing to that region (driving), progressive lenses are less helpful. I always have a pair of prescription sunglasses, and I keep them standard non-progressive.

Progressives work by forcing you to point your face directly at the focal source. Real life ain't always like that. :D

11. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

Welcome to the age of presbyopia. We all reach this point eventually.

Mine started when I was still wearing contact lenses full-time. I started wearing reading glasses when the situation called for it. Then, I graduated to bifocals. Now, I'm wearing progressive lens glasses all of the time.

Every so often, I will just wear a contact lens in my dominant eye - usually when I expect to wear sunglasses (I haven't ordered any prescription for those yet). I even went so far as to have a custom set of glasses made with a script lens for my weak eye, and a clear one for the dominant - plus bifocal reading on each. This was for when I anticipated driving at night while wearing the one lens.

The joys of aging!

Asmith and skunqesh like this.
  12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

My vision isn't horrible, but I can't read w/o glasses and now distance is starting to go. I've had progressives for 12 years and they aren't bad. No one has every called me "Jerry". @VintageSG is spot on regarding stairs. You do adjust quickly.

13. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Getting old sucks.

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Sorta off topic. But I gave contacts serious attempts several times back in the 90s. Both times disposable. Never since. My reasoning at the time was that I could wear off-the-shelf sunglasses or goggles. One summer that worked ok as I was working outside, close to the beach. Keeping my hands clean enough deal with the contacts during the day was an issue. But swimming surfing were still a problem. Salt and chlorinated water in the goggles would cause issues. But surfing without anything meant I couldn't judge distance to swells very good. It was nice to wear sunglasses again when I could, though. That is, dry and clean. That winter I was excited to be able to wear regular goggles again while skiing! That lasted about 5 minutes. Cold air seeping into the googles completely dried up the contacts before I was done with the first run. They fell out and were sticking to the side of my face.

That was the last straw. I've had prescription glasses and sunglasses ever since. I've never bought any sport glasses/goggles, though, as I don't do anything very hard core now. And I moved away from the ocean decades ago. Just regular outdoor sunglasses with prescription lenses have been fine for everything I do outside, including driving.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  15. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve had reading prescriptions since I was 16, but didn’t absolutely have to wear them until I was about 30. In my mid-40’s I had to start wearing bifocals to drive, purely because I could no longer read the fuel gauge or speedometer. Now I’m wearing tri-focals. I look forward to the day that my cataracts become bad enough that I get the surgery and can do away with my distance prescription. I have tried progressive lenses but the lack of peripheral vision resulted in collisions with fixed objects. I never adapted to them.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So are you. :)

You're at the right age for the onset of presbyopia. You can look forward to having a pair of readers stashed in every room.

17. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Progressives have been great for me......and, yeah, like folks have said, ya gotta get used to them, but it doesn't take too long

Marc Morfei and Greggorios like this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

I was told repeatedly by eye care pros and my physician that a lot of us have our vision go downhill fast mid-40s to mid=50s. No lie. Now age matters mess with very farsighted and astigmatism. It's been COSTCO FTW for people who do a very good job with the ordering, exams, measuring, price and actual products.

Multiple pairs of glasses and distance only contacts help overall and especially for still doing sports as I age. It's well worth buying the premium tier lenses but the measurement has to be done well. COSTCO is quick to trash and make right lenses not done correctly. Other places have tried to make me eat that cost.

Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  19. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

back in the day I worked my way thru college at a chain that cranked out Rx eyeware - the 'in under an hour' pitch.
    Progressives were new then and we sold them out, regularly. Not many people liked the aesthetics of a hard line trifocal, plus those were special order (waay over an hour). I had a few friends in their 20s that wore them due to poor eyesight.
    I, for one, loved that it was possible to figuratively hide a bifocal in plain sight (no pun intended)
    Folks do need time to get used to them, and due to the design you will most likely require a frame capable of a larger lens.

But yeah, presbyopia will getcha. Ya live long enough, ya get old. It beats the alternative.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've worn varifocals for years. No problem reading a book, the computer or driving. I never lose my glasses, if I'm awake they're right there on my nose.

Greggorios and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.