1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Progress is being made, first telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jbyers, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Pretty pumped to have something resembling a guitar, still have to route the rear control cavity, but its coming along nicely. Now the long wait for my warmoth neck so I can route the neck pocket. Some eye candy for you ladies and gents.

Attached Files:

VWAmTele, SbS, Telekarster and 5 others like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful!

CarsAndGuitarsYT likes this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Stunning piece of wood!

4. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

The grain is beautiful. That’s going to be an amazing looking guitar.

5. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

Wow, that's an amazing piece of wood!

6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Wow! What kind of wood is that? Nice man

7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Wow! What kind of wood is that? Nice man

8. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

That’s a 5A chocolate quilted maple. Unique woods of the NW texted me a pic, I didn’t know quilt like that existed

Telekarster and CarsAndGuitarsYT like this.
  9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome looking.... I take it your not worried about bridge placement?

10. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Not gonna lie, I’m an absolute novice with guitars. What’s this about bridge placement?

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I typically route the neck pocket then measure for scale length then I place the bridge. Doing it that way I haven't had any intonation issues.
    When I began though, I did something similar to you, pickups and bridge string through holes all predrilled. When I finally got the neck pocket done and the neck attached I could not intonate it at all. Everything at the 12th fret was way off. I had to plug all the holes on the body and shift the bridge to make it all work correctly. This was a huge PITA as the pickup routes were then off as well.
    So, if your working off some plans of some sort, do not think those measurements are 100% accurate for your guitar, place the bridge on and measure bridge to nut before routing that neck pocket. I find the Stew Mac fret position calculator to be a good tool for helping to figure that out.
    guitarbuilder and freemankeller have varied ways to do this as well and they have threads and visual examples here on TDPRI. Also somewhere in a few different threads are the Ron Kirn's books on building which give another resource and perspective on the bridge neck alignment needs.
    Good luck!

12. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Well shoot. Hopefully it works out. Honestly I kinda jumped into this with blind faith

13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with DrASATele, I locate the neck and set the geometry before drilling any bridge or pickup holes but its too late for that now.

The maple is lovely, I recently did a highly quilted top on a guitar for my son. If you haven't settled on a finishing scheme yet you might want to consider zpoxy as the grain enhancing application. Your maple does not need pore filling but diluted finishing resin can really bring out the chatoyance.

14. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

I’ve been toying with ideas recently. I make a lot of humidors, with some pretty incredible wood, but never this dark shaded quilt. My original plan, which is still my best option, is a quick coat of wipe on wipe off BLO, then ultra blond shellac as a sealer, then 10 coats of emtech 6000 lacquer, which polishes really nicely. But, I’m open to options, this certainly isn’t my area of expertise

15. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

This was finished with that regimen, and I was pretty pumped with how it turned out

Attached Files:

16. Freeman Keller

Not wanting to hijack your thread, here is my quilt. Its not the chocolate of yours but had a bit of amber. I originally thought I would do an edge burst and just fade it into the sides but decided just to go with zpoxy and lacquer

IMG_6268-1.jpg

IMG_6267.JPG

Danb541 likes this.
  17. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

That wood is insane!
    If you end up with intonation problems due to pre drilling the holes don't worry about it. Just plug the holes and use a top loader bridge. My point is, all is not lost. I bet it will be fine, if not, there are many options to fix the issue.

18. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Hijack away man, I’ll never get tired of looking at that quilted beast! What benefit do you find the zpoxy has over BLO and lacquer?

19. Freeman Keller

Thanks. I have never used linseed oil so I can't compare. I have experimented with early versions of water born lacquer (not Target) and while I want to like it I just get better results with solvent lacquer and I can't make the break.'

I have settled on the Zpoxy for two different functions. First, it has become my pore filler of choice on porous woods like mahogany and koa and coco and rosewood. I did a side by side comparison between zpoxy, CA and paste fillers and the finishing resin won hands down.

I also learned that a dilute solution of zpoxy in alcohol (mostly alcohol) left figured wood like flamed and quilted maple looking like it does when you wipe it with DNA or naphtha. We all do that when we buy a piece of wood, smart sellers do the wipe for any pictures and the alcohol seems to carry the resin into the flame and figure, leaving it behind when it dries.

So on this guitar I really did two things - the mahogany back and neck were pore filled with full strength zpoxy, the top got a couple of brushed on coats of very dilute. The whole thing then got nitro 'cause I'm stuck in that era.

btw, I did do quite a bit of experimenting on scraps before I committed to the guitar.

Can't wait to see how yours comes out, and judging by your work so far, if you lay the neck pocket out carefully it will be fine

20. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

I’m gonna try it man, I’ve been fighting with pore filling a claro humidor, and after coat 10, it’s getting a little old. The z-poxy and micro bubble solution would have been so much better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.