1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Prog" vs "Progressive Rock and Roll"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Mar 17, 2017.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

if you lived somewhere in the louisville, ky television broadcast area in 1973, i bet you remember a commercial for a hippie bar called "Beggar's Banquet". the announcer said, in a real tough sounding voice "Progressive rock and roll...at Beggars Banquet" then you would hear a bit of some loud bunch playing "Goin' Down". anybody here remember that commercial? the band was probably some bunch of locals, but it sounded about like Hydra's:

today, "prog" is Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Blue Mammoth, and a whole bunch of bands i don't know anything about. and when some writer looks back at the early 70's, there's plenty of "prog" (ELP, Camel, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Soft Machine, etc) but we didn't call it that then. now things are divided into categories, but i never thought about going from listening to Black Sabbath to listening to Yes to listening to the Rolling Stones. it was all "cool" and that was the only qualification.

so what's my point? i have no idea. things were better then, but that was because i was young and didn't owe anybody any money and could buy lots of records.

but i never did get to go to "beggar's banquet". it was long gone by the time i got old enough.

2. thunderbyrd

anyhow sometimes i go on utube and just listen to a bunch of prog bands. i have to say, they are pleasant to listen to, but they all sound a lot alike.

3. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

What is Prog? I've heard the term for years and always hear Rush described as Progressive but not sure. Yes and Genesis as well maybe?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

it would kind of hard to define, it's a combination of classical ambitions and rock, and also sometimes some jazz. yes and elp and genesis and camel are bands from the '70's that are now called "prog" but i don't ever remember hearing that word back then. Rush is pretty much prog, but they are also considered metal to some degree. prog-metal, i guess.

Brian Wright likes this.
  5. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I only classify music into two types. Let's see, there's the type I like, and then there's the type I don't like. It's the same with my beer. :cool:

Sorry to jump in on your thread where I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.:oops: Is there a difference between the two? I would have thought Prog was short for Progressive.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Louisville* ?

Steve Ferguson.

*pronounced "Looo-vull

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

A college buddy of mine plays with a bunch he calls Kermit The Prog.

He also does a class at his university on Progressive Rock. And contributed a chapter on "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" to a book on Genesis.

He likes prog.

thunderbyrd and Tele Ted like this.
  8. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Aren't you the guy that never heard of SRV? I keed, I keed!!!

thunderbyrd, jimash and jackinjax like this.
  9. jackinjax

Guilty. So was he Prog, Progressive, or just Aggressive? :twisted:

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. thunderbyrd

"""I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about."""

i guess the point is that once upon a time there was a phrase "progressive rock" which was so broad that it could include four guys with a fuzz box grinding out a real simple blooze song. but sometime in the intervening years that phrase distilled into the word "prog" which indicates more advanced chord progressions (though i swear, if you listen to a bunch of modern prog bands, it can almost seem like they are all playing the same song), keyboards and long songs which go through many transitions.

in the middle-ish seventies, the idea of the extended forms and more sophisticated chord progressions and this, that, and the other was so pervasive that even the 3 minute pop song writers of the day felt a need to show they could play in this arena, therefore we have songs like "Jungleland" by Springsteen, "Funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding" by Elton John, and even "Goodbye to Love" by the Carpenters. (ok, that last one stretches it a bit. but still.)

the long songs by the pop artists are relics of a different time, a different mentality, and a different perception of the music marketplace.

11. thunderbyrd

i remember when that song was new (was it 74?) back in those days, we had the "hip" radio stations, underground or whatever you wanted to call it, and i remember that the DJ's on those stations were all hyped over that song and played it a lot. maybe it was a watershed moment in the change to "prog", cause it definitely had a different sound about it.

TEENIEMCNEE likes this.
  12. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I'm not quite sure either. Any lenghthy piece with many tempo changes is progressive to me. Why would people establish different subgenres for something that, in essence, is the same thing

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. jackinjax

That quote pretty much sums my tastes in music. Thanks for the explanation.
    I fell in love with music back in the late '50s and by the late '70s, early '80s I was tuned in to the "oldies" stations, or played the stuff I had collected over the years. So, I'm guessing prog and or progressive pretty much passed me by. After that, it was just music I liked and the other stuff I didn't care for.
    Rock on! :twisted:

thunderbyrd likes this.
  14. Tele Ted

Tele Ted Tele-Holic

Not much into labels, why do "they" want everything to fit in a neat little box. For me, I either like it or not. As mentioned in a prior post by someone, I can go seamlessly from blues to jazz to the dead to yes to ELP etc...

Things are much more interesting when you can't label....guess I'm from the round peg/square hole school...[emoji450]

jackinjax and thunderbyrd like this.
  15. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

"Prog" means the same as "grunge" - outside, after the fact terms applied to general musical phenomena that occur. Broadly speaking, Prog, reflects a cerebral turn rock music made starting the mid 60s and peaking during the early/mid 70s. Likewise, Punk is somewhat a reaction/alternative movement coming out of a similar climate, one cerebral, the other visceral. I myself, love the rawer moments, bands like King Crimson IMO tread both territories.

16. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I was a big prog fan but somewhere along the line it got heaver and to me less interesting. King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, and the like were, to me, interesting bands of the progressive movement.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  17. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

I agree. It does seem as if a name and even the idea of a “movement” is usually conferred after the fact to a more or less stylistically cohesive trend in music. You can see it in how homogenous and by-the-numbers later Grunge bands were compared to the more diverse stuff coming out of Seattle before it was named.
    When I was a kid just starting to notice music towards the end of the ‘70s it seemed the only division in popular music was between AM and FM radio. There was one singles chart and one album chart.
    AM radio played hits while FM was album oriented and free-form – what we would call deep cuts now. If the word progressive was used at all it was used here, but it wasn’t in reference a specific set of bands but rather the more "serious" attitude.

juxtapolice likes this.
  18. thunderbyrd

when i first got interested in rock music, about 71, there were the album oriented stations. they were pretty loose in what they would play. sometimes they would even play a whole album side. and i remember that they would play recordings of concerts. but as the 70's went on they all devolved into what we call "classic rock" stations, which today have a very narrow selection.

we have an oldies radio station here called "passport radio", it plays a wider selection of music than anything else i've heard in years. they actually play old stuff from the top 40 lists of years gone by that i've never even heard, which is quite shocking.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  19. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah! I remember that shift. It happened maybe between '80-'84 here in Upstate New York. I remember hearing the whole first side of "Fear of Music" by the Talking Heads (on either the Poughkeepsie or Woodstock station) when it came out when I was in high school. By graduation FM radio was three or four specific, unalterable songs each by about ten or fifteen specific and unalterable Classic Rock bands. It became canon. Not a very rock n roll attitude, LOL!
    Your local station sounds awesome. I'm recently into building Pandora stations for that kind of variety. It sounds counterintuitive, but you really have to aggressively curate your station to get there, though.

20. thunderbyrd

but here's a thought for anybody who wants a thought: Allman Brothers, working out for ten minutes on "in memory of elizabeth reed". Prog? probably not? progressive rock and roll? well, yeah.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.