1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Product design roundtable

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I've been an engineer for many years, and some of my ideas actually wound up manifested in products that people actually bought. But many more ideas have simply gone by the wayside. After all, ideas are cheap. Inspiration vs. perspiration, etc.

One that I really liked was the internet connected sofa, so wherever you were in the world, you could have an accurate accounting of coins, popcorn, cat hair, car keys, etc. under the cushions.

This morning I started thinking about all the attenuators that are being sold because, even if you could get a gig these days, everyone is telling you to turn down. Since even 1 watt is too loud at home, everyone (including me) is getting some sort of thing to turn that excess rockin' power into heat. So, what could we do with that heat beyond the current "space heater" approach?

a) hot dog/burger grill - my dad used to wrap steaks and hot dogs in foil, wire them onto the Chevy II wagon's exhaust manifold, and by the time we got to the beach, hey it was steaming and ready. I think this was an idea from Popular Mechanics.

b) panini press - similar idea (I mean how many unique ideas am I gonna get out of this anyway) with the added bonus of the cheese dripping out and cascading off your amp just as you hit the ten minute mark on "Rockin' in the Free World".

Whattya got?

That Cal Webway and TheGoodTexan like this.
  2. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

Dog leg dynamo. When you scratch a dog in a certain spot and his leg moves uncontrollably, hook it up to a stick that turns a wheel that drives a dynamo. Make your dog happy enough and you can watch tv all night!

3. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You could make a metronome out of one of those spinny candle chimes.

angel candle thingy.jpg

Digital Larry likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

I did have an actual useful idea, don't know if anyone has implemented this yet. I was watching a YT video review of some cab simulator/IR thing (I just bought a Captor-X). The guy said, "this is a nice sounding cabinet IR but I wanted a little more bass". So then, OF COURSE, rather than going to the EQ section and just TURNING UP THE BASS, he tries repositioning the virtual microphone, or going off in search of some other cab with more bass. But that's the way it's going to be.

So the idea is for an IR librarian/organizer, that not only catalogues all of your IRs, but allows you to do searches like:
    - Mid and treble ranges within +/- 3 dB of this one, but +6 dB or more bass

This way, any time you find something that you more or less like, you could explore a dimension within your collection of IRs that were "similar but different" in presettable ways. You could also maintain a "hit" count for faves, because maybe a certain IR keeps showing up no matter what criteria you give. Then you could go buy a real speaker based on that one!

Frontier9 likes this.
  5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I thought of a female shaped blow up Alexa but it would need dark web marketing skills.

ucnick and Digital Larry like this.
  6. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

That's a great idea. You could go further with that idea:
    Analyze amp models, OD and distortion pedal models (mid bump? if so, what frequency - range of "coloration", ie transparency, etc...)

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

From an engineering perspective, I think efficiency and economy should be considered, and address the cause rather than the symptoms (excess heat from wasted electrons). Why use an attenuator for super-low volume playing when a pedal will get you the push and compression an attenuator does? You're not moving a lot of air anyway.

Far as new ideas go? Here's one I invented about 10 years ago. Have you ever tried to handle a sweepin' broom in one hand and a long-handled standup dust pan in the other? It's tough, especially when the stuff you're sweeping is voluminous or heavy, like dirt or lots of sawdust. The hand and wrist cannot exert enough leverage to keep the handle of the broom from torquing over under the load. So I thought about this for five minutes, and 10 minutes later I had a broom installed on the end of a forearm crutch. The combination of a horizontal handle and forearm brace permit substantial lateral force to be applied to the broom when it's on the floor.

I've made several of these for pals that have workshops and they love 'em.

[​IMG]

Obsessed, Grandy and Digital Larry like this.
  8. Digital Larry

Fair enough, but can you cook hot dogs on a Tube Screamer?

Peegoo and ucnick like this.
  9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

That's great -- Now, Tiny Tim can sweep the floor every time he walks across the room. That's what I call efficiency! ;) :D

Peegoo and Digital Larry like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Tuners that automatically tune your guitar, oh wait...

Digital Larry and Ebidis like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

IMG_4808.JPG

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

How about a gizmo that will not only give me the perfect tone that's in my head, but make me play better too.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A gym where all the treadmills and stationary bikes are connected to generate power for the gym.

14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

Tube Screamer : Tube Steak.

I think it'll work.

15. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

Already invented. We call it Time.

16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Blue tooth picks so you can find one when you need one. Just install the app on your phone and click find a pick!

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

But I want instant gratification.

18. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

LOL. Lower your standards. Just bang out "Louie, Louie" and declare yourself a genius.

Ebidis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.