Probly the pop album I have listened to the most for the last ten years

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by drmordo, Aug 3, 2021.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Here's two from Neil Diamond's original "Hot August Night", which I consider one of the greatest live albums ever. The whole thing is great, but I been really digging the ballads lately. They feel so intimate it amazes me.

This one is less gentle, but is pretty dang epic.

FWIW, my old truck has a 6-disc CD changer, and the 2-disc "Hot August Night" has occupied two of those spots for coming up on ten years. I don't even know where the case is anymore.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Guilty pleasure for me I guess but a Neil Diamond album was my first and only picture disk (back when that was a thing).

drmordo and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My introduction to Neil was (I believe) his first single, Solitary Man. Still one of my all time favorites. But, I do like that "stripped down" Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon.
    Not from Hot August Night, but this is another favorite of his.

drmordo likes this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I love "Solitary Man", there's a great version on HAN. I think it's an interesting song - minor key, very restrained even during the major key choruses. That's actually one song I might learn for the very rare occasions when I am onstage these days. I'd kind of want to do "Cherry, Cherry" but while I love the verses and chorus, I think the bridge is a bit goofy. Also, I probly would struggle to play and sing it. I'm a pretty good player and a decent singer, but I'm very out of practice at playing and singing.

Brother Love is also on HAN. You may know this, but his live sets have somewhat mirrored HAN for decades, so he often (always?) closes the night with I Am, I Said, followed by Soolaimon/Brother Love. I saw him live about 15 years ago and he followed that format, and it was just a great show. "Sweet Caroline" had so many people singing along (I'd guess several thousand) they were drowning out the PA.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.