Problems with bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by ollieboz, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ollieboz

ollieboz NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys. Recently purchased a 72 re-issue custom shop japanese telecaster. I played it for a while and was working beautifully, then at one of my band practices it seems as if the bridge pickup just gave up for some reason. it now puts out only half the volume that the neck pickup will. Does Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?
    Cheers Ollie

2. wilbarreid

wilbarreid TDPRI Member

Probably a bad connection, check all the wiring solder connections at the pots and switches. I may be wrong but I don't believe there is a Japan custom shop.

3. ollieboz

ollieboz NEW MEMBER!

Ok thanks ill start checking the wiring over. There used to be a japanese custom shop all the way up till the late 90's. it no longer exists, however my telecaster came out of the shop a few years before it was shut down

4. Bickert Fan

Bickert Fan Tele-Afflicted

That could be so many different things. But Wilbarried is right in that it's likely a loose/poor connection, problem is it could be a number of places. Sounds like a cold solder joint or possibly the windings in the pickup failing. Both seem very unlikely unless it's been tampered with in there. But poop happens.

Also, is the bridge pup acting like that in all positions involving the bridge? Just the dedicated bridge position?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.