Problems with a 4-way wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by reteps4002, Oct 23, 2019.

1. reteps4002

reteps4002 TDPRI Member

I recently decided to upgrade my kit built tele to have a 4-way switch. I wired up the switch (OAK Grigsby) according to the fralin diagram. I have triple checked the switch wiring and it matches the diagram. The problems arrived when I tested the new wiring. When I put the switch in the bridge only position it works fine but I get no signal at all from any of the other switch positions. I did go through the steps to split the neck coil from the cover. Is there a short or loop somewhere that I’m not seeing or did I not ground the cover correctly?

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Buy a multimeter (you can get cheap ones for around $10) and do a continuity check to make sure the all the connections are correct and nothing is shorted unexpectedly in each switch position. It's much more reliable than using your eyes.

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Seconded. Use a multi-meter to verify connections. I have been fooled many times.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How could we possibly tell? Post the diagram you worked from. Post a non-blurry pic. Then we may be able to help.

Multimeter is always the right choice.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

Another possible cause: one of the solder terminals on the switch or perhaps one on a pot is in contact with the control cavity’s shielding paint/foil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.