Problem with tone bypass and kill switch

jackthesack85

NEW MEMBER!
In the attached schematic I drew the input jack wired incorrectly. It is a drawing error and is wired correctly on the guitar

Hey everyone,
I am having trouble with the wiring on a push pull tone bypass. The website says the volume push/pull pot controls the coil splits and the tone push/pull pot bypasses the tone circuit. The coil splits and kill switch work flawlessly, but the tone control and switch is entirely another matter.

With the way i have it wired up right now, the tone knob seems to do nothing but slightly increase the volume about a quarter turn in, so obviously something is wrong. I drew this schematic to how i currently have it wired (which is how i thought my pictures I took of the wiring had it before disassembly) If anyone could tell me where they think I'm wrong, i would REALLY appreciate it. Searching online forums and wiring diagrams for a push pull coil splits + tone bypass + kill switch hasn't been too lucrative.
I'm desperate. I've been all over every forum I can find, posted on Reddit, Facebook, etc and can't get an answer other than vague guesses. If you can draw on my schematic (as crudely as you like) I'll cash app, zelle, or PayPal you $10 if your suggestion works.

Thank you all!

***Updated drawing on bottom***

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1663974600945.jpg
    FB_IMG_1663974600945.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 27

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the issue is how the tone pot is wired with the push pull. The signal is always going to the tone pot, but the push pull is controlling whether or not the capacitor is part of the circuit?

If I were drawing it up I would send the signal from the volume pot to the push pull on the tone pot and then use the push pull to add or remove the entire tone pot and capacitor from the circuit.

I'm pretty okay at understanding wiring, but I'll admit that I don't know what happens if you have a capacitor connected to the tone pot that isn't grounded on the other side. So it's possible that works, I just don't know. It's not how I would do it though.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Here's how I would do it. I didn't draw up the whole thing, because the rest looked good. All of your pickup wiring and coil splitting will stay the same.
Kill Switch Tone Bypass.png

Let me know if you have questions.

jackthesack85

NEW MEMBER!
Steve, thank you for the reply! Im sure your wiring schematic works, but my problem was very stupid. The shielding inside the cavity was touching the L1 lug of the tone pot. Thats why it would kill my tone when actived. DUMB on my part. Thank you for the reply tho!

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Steve, thank you for the reply! Im sure your wiring schematic works, but my problem was very stupid. The shielding inside the cavity was touching the L1 lug of the tone pot. Thats why it would kill my tone when actived. DUMB on my part. Thank you for the reply tho!

Happy to hear it! In the future, you don't need to offer payment in exchange for help. I didn't even notice it at first, and the mods will sometimes delete your post if they catch it. Everyone here is just happy to help however we can.