Problem with some gluten-free : even the raccoons are like “Naaaah, I’m good...”

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t know why people think gluten free jokes are funny.

If you live with the condition it is not funny. Nor are the very significant increased risks of very serious cancers if you do not abstain from gluten. Nor is neuropathy. Nor are seizures. Nor the less dire but life-disrupting daily symptoms.

So to those of you who seem to think having to be gluten free is fake or some big ****ing joke, well, decorum prevents me from finishing that sentence.

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I don't think it's funny. But I do think it's a fad. If you feel better, good for you, your diet is your business and none of mine. But I still think it's a fad, regardless of the results you get. I mean, both things can be true.

I go around buying organic this and that and most people think that's a fad, and there's certainly evidence to support that argument.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Celiac/Crohn's is not funny. I know a couple younger guys, with serious drive and ambitions, and it is a miracle that they've somehow overcome their issues and contributed in a major way to their families and their society and if they call, they know I have their back. I've sat in the hall, in the ER waiting for word their condition had stabilized. They're absolutely the real deal.

However.

Gluten free jokes are still funny. They just are. There's nothing you or I can do about it. Stomping out gluten free jokes will not make their lives any better - and they, at least, know it.

Chunkocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

People with celiac or Crohn's disease are a tiny, tiny fraction of the GF adherents. My comments are focused on the millions who have chosen to go GF but don't have
    any diagnosed wheat-related illnesses.

Crohn's disease is interesting-- it is a very serious disease, but there is limited or no evidence regarding the role of wheat sensitivity in
    its onset or severity. If someone has been diagnosed with full blown Crohn's disease and has found that cutting wheat out of their diet cures them--
    well then they are extremely fortunate.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It's a dumb thing to make fun of the people doing it for a fad diet too. Just ask them what foods contain gluten, if they don't know, or they say they still drink beer cause it's too hard to give up then they're fadders and you should walk away, better to ignore them then get into it with them.

It's a clear cut thing with clear cut diagnosis. The blood test + biopsy are not easily screwed up.

If you know someone who is thinking they're sick and avoiding it but hasn't gone to the doctor to get tested try to get them to get tested... that is another weird subset of people.. willing to go to the great trouble to try and eat gluten free but unwilling to go to the doctor and find out for real.

Also the fadders make the food way more easily available which is a lifesaver for people like my wife & son. 10-15 years ago it was near impossible to travel at all cause they couldn't find safe food anywhere other than going to the grocery store & getting a hotel/condo that had a full kitchen. It's quite easy now.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a fair point.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The placebo effect / confirmation bias are incredibly powerful and mostly invisible. I grant you that.

The study that I linked to above compared the bloodwork of modern soldiers against a sample that was taken in 1948 on around 500 soldiers. They did the same analysis to both sets of blood samples. They found that today's kids have FOUR TIMES the incidence of "undiagnosed celiac disease" than the 1948 kids.

No placebo effect, no confirmation bias. Different decades, different SUPPOSEDLY genetic disease markers in the bloodwork of youngsters. There is most definitely SOMETHING happening here - what it is ain't exactly clear. :)

Euphonica, Jesse414 and Obsessed like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, admit it, midget tossing is still funny. (If it's done...Tastefully)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

:lol:

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

11. boris bubbanov

The "Gluten Free" era has caused some strange things to happen in the marketplace.

The boxes of "Special K" that used to cost $ 4.29 per box, are now available when the sale comes around, for 5 boxes for $ 10.00. Even though the conventional type is mostly rice and not wheat. And the boxes of Shredded Wheat that used to be $ 4.29 a box are also about $ 10.00 for 5 boxes (sometimes $ 1.79 or $ 1.69). If you pay attention and refuse to buy unless it is on special sale, they give cereal and other things (such as English Muffins) away at prices you just couldn't find 15 years ago in the USA. Even though the dollar generally buys less, not more than it did in 2004.

Everyone here knows someone who went to Medical School and did real well for themselves, and they ran marathons and the whole bit, and they mostly ate spaghetti. There are simply huge segments of the Modern American Diet that could be completely overhauled to make nutrition better for the largest number of people, but instead we focus on a few, strange things. Another one is peanut allergies, where if the infant is simply introduced to peanuts at the right point in their development, allergies basically vanish.

We dumb.

12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Wife was diagnosed with a Celiac Sprue about 20 yrs ago...we’ve tried everything gluten free I think. Glutino used to have passable bread, but they changed recipes last year rendering it inedible, like a majority of things.

We had 2 dogs, a pit and a hound, that would snub even beef gravy soaked bits...

pasta, crackers, and the major brand cake mixes are all decent, but DAMN do they pack on pounds.

13. Obsessed

Hmmm, articulate as you typically are, I respectfully don't follow this post. I must be dumb.

14. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I like the black bean pasta from Explore Cuisine. And you actually get some protein out of the deal instead of just empty carbs.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

I'm saying, the Gluten Free craze has annihilated the market for many wheat based products like pasta, breakfast cereal, bread and so forth. If you are watchful you can really reduce your grocery bill, these days. I'm sorry; spent too long giving examples and fluffed presentation of the basic theme.

Obsessed likes this.
  16. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've been interested in this topic for awhile, especially as I live in Ireland but now winter in Virginia.

Funny side note....I enjoy Coke and Mcdonalds here in Ireland but I wont touch them in America. Makes me feel sick. High fructose syrup and awful beef...

Anyway, with regard to bread and wheat, everything said here is logical but there is something I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.
    Calcium propionate and gut bacteria.
    Science is just starting to realise how important but bacteria are and how they affect our whole body, including our minds and behaviour.
    Gut bacteria develop and relate to what we eat and changes in diet...as we've experienced in the last 50 years more so than ever before due to travel and genetic changes in foods as mentioned by others here....happen faster than our gut biome can adapt.

Cue the calcium propionate. It's an 'improver' used to extend shelf life in flour and bread. It works by interfering with mould and bacteria.

A lot of 'gluten intolerance' could possibly have something to do with this stuff messing up our gut bacteria.

Go look it up. I've only heard a bit about it and am not an authority on the subject....plus I'm going to bed now.
    It's midnite here.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Obsessed, your link was weird, but I got it to work. Good article-- https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/what-s-really-behind-gluten-sensitivity

Actually, the study mentions the power of a "nocebo" effect. The only way they can confirm gluten sensitivity is with a gluten or wheat challenge (a blind test). Without doing this
    they end up with a lot of people who don't actually have a real wheat sensitivity. Once they limit the study groups to people who actually have a well documented response to
    wheat, then they still have to look into the underlying mechanism-- immune response similar to genuine celiac disease, and/or something more complex having to do with gut biome,
    and/or FODMAP-- general bloating and gas caused from nutrients that are hard to digest such as fructans, lactose, onions, etc.

From the paper...."His team found that most patients couldn't reliably distinguish pure gluten from a placebo in a blinded test. He believes that many people feel better after eliminating
    wheat not because they have calmed some intricate immune reaction, but because they've reduced their intake of FODMAPs."

The people who fail the gluten challenge potentially fall into two groups-- 1) folks who are having a pure nocebo effect, vs. 2) folks who do have a wheat sensitivity that is unrelated to
    gluten per se but is really a FODMAP issue-- bloating, gas, and indigestion due to intake of hard-to-digest foods.

I'm a firm believer that we are omnivores and have evolved to tolerate and indeed thrive on a huge variety of foods. If anything, the real problem is that our diets
    have become too simple. If we ate a much more varied and rich diet, with the vast majority of it being fresh and cooked simply, then many of these problems would
    disappear. JMHO and all that.

I also believe that we have evolved to be able to handle regular gastric insults with no permanent harm done. We can get sick on spoiled food,
    barf up something unhealthy, get diarrhea, get a bad case of indigestion, etc., etc., and it can be totally acute but when it's over we should be just fine again. We are not pandas that
    have evolved to the point that we are restricted to a single species of bamboo. We are opportunistic omnivores that can eat all kinds of stuff, occasionally eat something that doesn't agree with us at all, and still
    be just fine. Our real nutritional issues more typically have to do with eating too much calorie-dense but nutritionally poor food, and not eating enough variety.

One other thing to note-- to the extent that many of these problems may actually be general digestion issues, there are several things that could dramatically mitigate symptoms. 1) eat smaller
    portions to avoid bloating and gas. 2) chew food really well before swallowing and eat more slowly to assist digestion. 3) cook food to aid in digestibility. 4) Exercise a lot: moving around really
    aids with digestion. We were not designed to be sedentary creatures.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t think I’m gluten intolerant. I don’t have crohn’s or celiac disease.

I’m trying to cut out gluten/wheat/flour on the off-chance it adds to my joint inflammation. I don’t need anything else helping make that worse.

And, when I severely limit flour/gluten/wheat , I shed weight.

I haven’t cut it out completely but I have cut it by probably 60%.

19. Obsessed

Good analysis of the article. What you say is pretty well on target for how we eat in modern times that cause a lot of digestive issues. I know that the more I am moving/physical working/exercise, the better my digestive system works overall.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  20. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I still haven't heard any "gluten free jokes"!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.