Problem with some gluten-free : even the raccoons are like “Naaaah, I’m good...”

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We had penne the other night with a delicious meat sauce that I made but because the “pasta” was yet another version of gluten-free that we tried , my wife wisely pitched it/did not try to store it in the fridge.

Even two or three hours after the meal it had already turned into a little coral reef.

This morning I saw that the raccoon and family had gotten into the garbage and devoured everything. Well except for one thing they left completely intact ...

C3BA7EA5-ACA2-40C3-9EF9-5D6E0A270DF1.jpeg

And the rest of it was still inside the ripped-open garbage bag :lol:

drf64, Shuster, Chunkocaster and 8 others like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

I am gf and can attest to this fact - even the crows leave some gf noodles behind

fortunately, Mrs Deeve is an amazing cook

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife & son have celiac.

Some of the pasta sucks for sure but others are really good. If you get the good stuff I think you can fool people in a blind test.

Interestingly we went to France this summer and the Europeans are far ahead on making GF pasta and bread. They had seriously good GF bread in Paris.

They also had GF tortellini in Europe.. we almost never see it here.

4. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Try the Tinkyada brand pasta. The trick is bring the water to a boil, add the pasta, bring back up to a boil for two minutes. Turn off heat, let sit covered for 16 minutes, and drain.

Soft but not mushy. Good stuff.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of the GF stuff here is made with rice flour - i.e. trading gluten for high-impact carbs. Even though I'm gluten free, I avoid most GF products because we also are low carb. Now, there are a few GF, low carb items that are good, but I agree - they are hard to find.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That and a lot of the stuff that is rice based has 0 fiber. Normal wheat bread has varying amounts but very little has absolutely 0. More of a problem with a kid who has to eat GF cause they tend to be picky about vegetables and other sources. A lot of the GF breads are super high in calories too.. like 3-4x the calories of a piece of wheat bread, often cause they're putting in more butter or oil to make the stuff stay together.

7. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

People been eating bread for 1000 years & all of a sudden, everyone's allergic to gluten.
    You oughtta see the look on waitresses face when I order "extra gluten, please" in my meal!
    Same look I get when I stick my face into the health food store & ask "Do you sell cigarettes here?"

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well brother, I don't believe I'd a told anyone I was eating dat. :eek::eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There are a few theories, actually. Obviously #1 is that it's a passing fad. #2 is that people loads of people are actually generally gluten-intolerant and are just now discovering how much healthier they are when they don't eat it. #3 is that the wheat in our food supply now is very different than the wheat people have eaten throughout time, due to breeding and more recently genetic modification. #4 is that something else in the environment is causing people to become gluten-intolerant. My money is on #2 and #3 both being true, and #1 just comes along for the ride.

I can guarantee that when I "slip up" and eat bread for a couple of meals, a set of symptoms appears like clockwork and does not go away until I get "back on" the GF wagon. It doesn't matter to me what anybody says I have experimented on my own diet plenty to know what is good and not good for me. YMMV.

Be skeptical, but it is a subject that doctors are seriously investigating https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(09)00523-X/abstract

10. unixfish

Bingo.

Einkorn wheat, what our great grandparents ate, had a DNA strand of 14 genes. Modern wheat has been cross-bread to be short stalk so it is not affected by wind when growing, and light and fluffy (Krispy Kreme glazed donuts cannot be made from old wheat), and has 57 genes in it's DNA. It may look similar and taste similar, but it's not.

When a food source changes in a population, it often takes 100 to 200 years for the population to adapt. We've made a ton of changes in the last 20 to 30.

Colon and digestive cancers run in my family; I was headed that way too. I gave up (most) carbs, grain, and gluten, and my issues cleared up. My colonoscopies are now clean. The doctor dropped the inflammation meds I was on for my large intestine. He cannot believe my (wrongly diagnosed) ulerative colitis cleared up. I'm the first to admit to an issue with gluten; I think it's been there for generations, and I am the first to identify the issue and eliminate the root cause.

#2 and #3 for the win.

11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

All I know is when I eat crackers as a snack, I gain weight. So now I eat pork rinds. But I still put Cheese Wow on 'em.

Chunkocaster, DrPepper and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When you want a Doctor Pepper do this instead, you will live longer.

[​IMG]

DrPepper likes this.
  13. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

People in Europe aren't ahead on making GF products, They are ahead (as stated above) Of not using the bastardized version of wheat that we created in a lab.

I have horrible issues with gluten, and told my Gastro the same "People have been eating grains for thousands of years" story.. He told me he has several patients that come back from Europe where they ate their body weight in pasta and delicious bread... Without even the slightest discomfort.

Euphonica, Jesse414 and Obsessed like this.
  14. unixfish

This bears repeating. Hence the repost.

Euphonica, Jesse414 and TeleTex82 like this.
  15. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

You’re so cool and edgy. What a rebel.

Euphonica, Telecaster88 and MilwMark like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Not only has the wheat changed dramatically, but the processing has too, so what we eat today is very dissimilar to the wheat of only a few decades ago. Calling it a "fad" is incorrect. Unfortunately, there are real reasons that people cannot tolerate it any longer, I love my wheat products and have found a few very good GF pasta products for guests that I enjoy too, but I have been trying to lessen the amount of consumption of wheat and feel healthier because of it.

Jesse414 and DrPepper like this.
  17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

About 40% of people are lactose intolerant and don't realize it. If you often have really stinky farts you might check and see if these tend to occur after
    you've eaten dairy products.

I can tentatively accept the viability of the hypothesis that a lot of people have an inflammation reaction to wheat. I can also accept the viability of the hypothesis
    that some strains of wheat may be worse than others. But until I see some scientific evidence for either hypothesis I am not sure whether they are correct.
    It may turn out that it's only a very small number of people who are affected adversely by wheat, and that the vast majority are experiencing some type of
    confirmation bias/placebo effect. And it also may turn out that there is no statistically significant difference among strains of wheat in triggering adverse
    reactions.

Of course, as with all nutritional guidance, the good studies are based on large populations, and typically there is a bell curve of response. It could turn out
    that a given individual truly is an outlier and really does have an atypical response to a particular food. That is one of the things that makes it harder to
    tease apart a placebo effect from an actual effect for a specific individual.

No one should underestimate the power of the placebo effect. It often can be as powerful or even more powerful than prescribed medications. Your body
    has tremendous healing powers, and if you believe you just took something that is going to make you better, (or believe you stopped taking something that is bad
    for you), then all kinds of natural healing processes can be triggered.

People also spend billions of dollars per year on vitamins and other nutritional supplements even though all available scientific data suggests you're pretty much
    flushing your money down the toilet. As one example, the effect of vitamin C on colds has been thoroughly debunked and yet many people still believe in it and
    spend good money based on that belief.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-health/the-power-of-the-placebo-effect

18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I try to avoid refined, processed foods and only drink GF water...

unixfish likes this.
  19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Cereal for brekkie, sammich for lunch, pasta for supper equals too much wheat.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

nah he's just a dickey :)

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.