1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Problem Selling on Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I'm selling a vintage Gibson LP on Reverb and it's been a hassle. I put up quite a few pics but people keep asking for more. Even though I've explained that it's all original they want to see more pics to verify that it's original. Okay I don't mind sending out a few more pics but then no purchase or even an offer. The last guy wasn't satisfied with the pics I sent and requested a new set. Finally he said he wanted to use Reverb's payment plan and I told him to get lost.

I may end up listing it on Ebay this week. So much for pic collectors.

2. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Pics or it didn't happen:cool:

alnicopu, jtees4, brogh and 3 others like this.
  3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Pretty sure reverbs payment plan has nothing to do with the seller. You'll get every penny up front, the buyer has to deal with the payments through a credit company. I don't blame buyers for being picky, I assume you're asking for quite of bit of money for it and just telling people its original doesn't mean much. I'd want to verify its originality as well before I drop a couple thousand dollars on an online strangers word that its original.

4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I can understand the pix request on a collectible item. I usually ask for exactly what they want to see, if they ask for "more" otherwise you are shooting i the dark. Some people simply want to play the game and have no interest in purchase,eventually you figure out who is serious and who isn't from the git go. I especially like the folks who "need more pix" on a $50 Affinity... or to "see the pickups" on a $75 Epi. I guess they are hoping for un noticed upgrades, but really..

TigerG likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Here, let me translate that for you. Could you please send more detailed pics. Since I am a scammer, I need really good pics of your Gibson, or I may not be able to hook some unsuspecting soul into sending me a huge wad of cash, so I can buy my OWN Gibson. Thank you for understanding. (I have a certified license to steal issued by the Penguin Crime Control Agency of Gotham City, so don't get all huffy on me)

xafinity, P Thought, Jules78 and 2 others like this.
  6. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

I would have a set of pics I could send on request. All others would depend on how serious I feel the buyer is.

7. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

With all the fake Gibsons around I can't blame people for wanting more pics.

alnicopu, badfish_lewis and jtees4 like this.
  8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

If you have every had to deal with the public then you would know that a fair amount of people are just nuts.
    Now with Reverb and eBay the public just became most of the world.
    You are a stranger to them, and you want them to send thousands of dollars into the www based on nothing but pixels.
    So you can expect serious people to be very cautious and the nutty ones to be overly obnoxious and just plain nutty.
    This is the arena that you chose to sell a high dollar item in, all the additional exposure that you gain comes with a hidden price, dealing with more nutty people.
    Good Luck, hope it all works out.l

7171551 and ZackyDog like this.
  9. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

That's the first thought that came to me as well after I read his post.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The lazy bastardoes want me to send them additional pictures of a fifty dollar golf club I run an ad on the CL. You know why? Their too lazy to cut and paste the pics from the CL ad, they want me to send them pics to their phone so they'll be handy right there on the phone when they run their scammer ad.

LongLiveRock54 likes this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What's wrong with Reverb's payment plan? They still pay you in full immediately. It's between them and the buyer.

I always max out the pics on the listing, but for something vintage like that, I'd probably host a larger group somewhere, and provide a link on request. Everyone gets what they need, and you don't have a hassle.

Remember, every time someone makes contact, that's an opportunity. If you see it as a chore, then you're not going to do as well, or have as much fun. IMHO.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think if you posted the pics for us, we might have a better understanding and better feedback for you. Just recently, a friend of mine asked me to look at the pics of his vintage car that he was having issues with potential buyers. I suggested removing two pics and replacing them with similar, but different angles ... it sold quickly after that. My wife takes the pics of the gear I sell and no doubt in my mind, the is part of the reason my stuff sells so well.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

If the buyer sounds kooky then they might be kooky. That's frustrating. I understand.

If a buyer wants to see something in particular you can take a photo with your phone and attach it to a private reply. They have a photo attachment icon within the mail reply. Reverb does make it easy.

14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, can you post a link to your reverb ad? Do tdpri rules allow that, I mean? I'd like to see it.

I get your frustration. I'll try to alleviate with a story. I have a buddy, a pretty good guitar player, who likes really nice instruments, nice, pretty, shiny guitars. But he refuses to pay for them. Instead, he orders fakes/copies from China. I've seen them: I've played them. I know instruments, not as well as a professional curator, but I know instruments. And let me tell you, a guitar player with just passing knowledge of what to look for in a fake would be hard-pressed to tell that his guitar is a fake. I mean, I couldn't tell. Excellent finish, excellent fit, excellent playability. In fact, I don't know where China cuts corners to make a $2000 guitar for $500 shipped. If he ever sold it, I don't know if he'd represent it as a real PRS or not because he's a respectable, stand-up guy. But if he listed it on reverb with just a few photos, someone would think they were getting a good deal on this guitar.

I just share this story to demonstrate people's trepidations.

15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

A vintage Gibson LP is not a $50 dollar golf club, nor is it in the same category of auction. That's the problem with some of the comments here so far.

I don't blame people one bit for wanting detailed photos on an actual vintage instrument. A vintage LP is a pricey instrument and even if the buyer intends to play it and not curate it, I think it's completely justifiable to want detailed pics. You should have a set of pics for this purpose...it's not hard to do and it's worth the small investment in time if you really wanna sell the guitar.

I'm much more annoyed by auctions where the seller thinks he's got something special (at a price well above market for used gear) but there is only one pic, or a set of blurry pics taken with a phone instead of a real camera. I'm going to pass. The used gear market is a buyer's market, and some people don't seem to understand this basic fact.

If you want to sell vintage gear at today's vintage prices (especially in the LP market which is flooded with sketchy instruments), the bar of proof is higher. A lot higher.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  16. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Yeah the worst is the ones who ask for pics and dont buy when there is nothing wrong with the guitar. Watermark your photos and the scammers might stay away.

17. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Not everyone is going to be convinced by a set of pics. My point above is that the bar of proof is higher for a vintage instrument. And really, the issue of "scamming" by stealing pics isn't in view here. The issue is what you do for the real buyers in the market. You need to show, not tell, with high quality pics. People can whine and whinge all they want about having to take a good set of pics, but this is the vintage LP market.

All I hear are tiny violins.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

If I was a buyer and the seller didn't do exactly what I wanted online it would be a gigantic red flag .

If you want to sell - jump through the hoops .

If not ?

You're not serious about selling .

Ebay ?

I sell on both reverb and eBay , and if you think eBay is some kind of refuge from anything let me roll around on the floor laughing clutching my sides for a half an hour until I process that ...:lol::lol::lol:

superbadj, boredguy6060 and jimash like this.
  19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, of the two, you'll definitely get more serious buyers at reverb, not ebay. But at ebay, it is nearly guaranteed to sell, especially if you start at $0.99 and set no reserve price.

20. lespaul74

lespaul74 TDPRI Member

Better watch out selling on Ebay. Buyer might get it not like it and say it's defective or misrepresented, and want to return for a refund. You'll be left holding the bag, losing the final value fees and paying for return shipping. Ebay has a very liberal return policy and they believe the buyer not the seller. Some people have no class.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.