Problem band member

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by fenderville50, Dec 29, 2015.

1. fenderville50

fenderville50 TDPRI Member

It's a solid body electric uke, blonde color, kind of like a small telecaster, gets used with a couple of pedals, sounds good when properly used, so it's not quite the same as the round hole acoustic uke that usually comes to mind. It does work well with the band so I hope this works out. Does not excuse the behavior of the person playing it... hoping for a resolution soon.

2. 58Bassman

58Bassman TDPRI Member

Have someone send her a text with "The band leader would like you to act like you're in a band, not part of the audience".

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Book a gig without her and tell her

"You don't play on this one "

these days I don't help with PA setup or tear down. It's all relative. I carry an amp, A Pedal Steel, Steel seat, a guitar, guitar stand, mic stand, mic/cables, and nobody helps me with any of my gear and I don't expect them to. The biggest issue for me is I pack up soon after we are done, I do not lolly gag... One of the bands I work with, they sit down yap with each other,they are in no hurry to leave, even though the room is empty. Sometimes I am totally packed up , gear in the car and I go back to get paid before they even unplug there guitars ! It's not that I am not social it's that they are in no rush to leave , they live 5 min away, I live 45 minutes away. They are ok with it, they understand.

I have always packed up rather quick , it's part of my process. I don't hang around waiting for others to finally start packing up which could easily be 30 to 45 minutes later.

4. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Ah,excuse my ignorance!

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bad communication in the band, plus taking everything too seriously. If you make fun of her texting enough times, she might stop.

6. Short Circuit

Short Circuit Tele-Meister

That's awesome !!!!!

Mark

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Bands...It's a tough thing working out all the wrinkles and keeping things going. I have my good and bad days too. Four grown adults with different priorities and experiences in life, all merging together with a common interest, music. For me, I am often grateful it's just a hobby. Work and family come first then the band. All 4 members are on the same page so we end up with an average of 8-10 gigs a year. Some days I want more gigs. Other days I want a break. The four of us bond pretty well and we have fun. I would have a very difficult time with any member not doing their share of set up, tear down, and rehearsing. Disappearing after a gig would only happen once and there would be a discussion. Second time, that person is ejected. If the drummer goes too, so be it. Now we're looking for a drummer. Texting on stage would lead to a comment between live songs asking for it to stop immediately. There's enough going on there with that package...She'd be gone already. Done. Most band projects are way too short to put up with this behavior.

8. fenderville50

Thanks for your comments, can't disagree with anything you mentioned. I believe there will be a resolution this week - - hoping for a positive outcome.

9. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Doesn't matter what instrument she plays, her behavior needs to change to something more professional. It's not show friends, it's show business.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Now I remember why I went into home recording.

11. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Better cell phone reception?

12. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

The "everyone must pitch in and haul equipment equally" thing never panned out for me. It was ALWAYS the one area that eventually became an issue in virtually every band I've ever been in. So, I solved this years ago in MY bands by telling everyone else, "I own the PA, I set up the PA, I tear down the PA, and I store the PA. My only requirement is that you guys/gals get to the gig early enough to set up your stuff and be ready to play at show time".

So, I currently haul four Alto 12s, two Alto 10s, a Mackie 808S, a 2x12 guitar cabinet, a Twin Reverb head, two "wheelie carts", a backdrop and stand, a pedal board, and my guitars. It's a lot at 12:45am, but I know exactly where everything is all the time, it's set up the way I want, and there are NO inter-band issues with "he/she is not "carrying their weight"!

The only other PA equipment out of my control is a QSC powered cabinet that our drummer owns, carries, and sets up to reinforce his kit and also handles a line off the bass. Bass player and drummer worked that out between themselves.

The guys in my band are good friends, good players, and a joy to hang with. This approach has worked for me for years.

Good luck sorting out the "uke girl". I wish you happiness, and good music for 2016!

13. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I personally have never believed that in a band there must be a family vibe or something of that nature. The musicians should get along just about enough to get the music going in the way that it's expected by both the audience and the band. It's almost consensus that one shouldn't be holding a cellphone on stage.
    In recent years one thing that has always bugged me in bands is a feeling that you should never "hurt" people's feelings, that you should treat them like they are family, that you should be the greatest friends in the world and have almost every interest in life (besides music) in common. And you need people of compatible zodiac signs. I don' t believe that. Some of the best music has been made by people who almost hated each other, but yet when it came to the music they spoke the same language. That's all tha matters. If she is texting while onstage, she is not respecting the music that you play. You don't need to have a problem like that in your band.

14. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

My biggest issue would be not sticking around after the show. I couldn't get past that to even worry about the cell phone.

That by itself would be a deal breaker for me.

I treat my bandmembers as equals, good and bad. Regardless of what they bring to the table I treat them the same. That being said I expect them to share an equal part of the responsibility as well, and that means being there before and after a gig for the not so fun part.

15. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To the OP: Why not pay the band members AFTER all of the gear is loaded? That's what we do even though all of us help with everyone's gear anyhow.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Tiny Tim cover band?

17. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I was going to unsubscribe this thread but I'm waiting to see what the OP has done about UkeGyrl.

18. fenderville50

Band meeting is next week. As much as I would like a good resolution to the problem, I'm not expecting a happy outcome. I appreciate everybody's input and will report back. Hope this mess helps someone else out in a similar situation.

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When i was younger (much) I banged into Robbie Bachman, drummer for Bachman Turner over drive ( Randy's younger brother).In a pet pet store We both had exotic pets, and got to talking, he was kind enough to talk to me on the street for a while. I asked him a question " what one piece of advise would you give some one trying to fit into a band?"
    his reply was "1) Know your own end and work at it 2) NEVER carry any one, if they dont cut ,its on them. Not you 3) Its all about the show, the music and the bands presence. 4)supply your own equipt and look after it., but most of all DONT CARRY SOME ONE WHO ISN"T CUTTING IT"

I don't know if these are words of wisdom but I have always followed it, I hope it helps

20. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

What The ????????????? :eek::lol:

Maybe I need to trademark my name... :twisted:

FenderGyrl :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.