1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Probably my last gig of the year…and boy, was it cold!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Dec 5, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

12-05-2020 - Market Day at Sunset Hideaway.jpg

An outdoor venue that I’ve played this year—the only venue I’ve played since March—hosted a Market Day for their community. So the patio at the marina was bordered by vendors in their booths. Obviously an outdoor event, and the temp this afternoon was like 49°F, with winds nearly 20 mph. The stage I was on had a Christmas tree set up behind it, and it was blown over…twice! It was a windy, cold day.

Before saying anything else, I’m certain many TDPRIers in northern climes will chuckle or smirk at my calling temps in the high 40s (Fahrenheit, of course) “cold.” Blame it on me being south Texas boy, or on the fact that I take 325 mg of aspirin per day as a blood thinner, or on the fact that I’ve lost a lot of weight in the last year or so. Any or all of those things could account for it.

But the plain and simple fact was, I was cold. I don’t recall ever considering ending a gig early before. It was that cold. I stuck it out, and I'm glad I did, now. But, man! My hands were so cold, it hurt to play fingerstyle, and I had trouble at times holding the pick. My fingers would go numb by the end of nearly every song, so lots of wrong notes and botched chords. My singing voice at times had an uncontrolled vibrato.

But I got good tips. Pity tips, probably…but I’ll take ‘em!

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Our outdoor stuff usually ends in September! Tons of props, I don't like playing under 70°.

3. LGOberean

This venue's cutoff for cold weather is the end of November, but of course that's down here, not Buffalo. And that cutoff point applies to Friday and Saturday nights. I was booked from noon to 3pm, and I don't think the hosts expected it to be as cold or as windy as it was. After the tree (a fake one, BTW) blew over the second time, the only way they could keep it in place was to weight down the base with sand bags.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Okay, how to hold on to pick?

otoh - probably a great vibrato :rolleyes:

telestratosonic and LGOberean like this.
  5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good for you. Good to play out however you can!
    My band has a gig this Fri night in NC, likely our last, and assuming it doesn't rain and stays above 45F(!). We all need those gas heaters, etc. to keep this up! Cheers.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We play at a bar that’s on Michigan and our last gig was about 6 weeks ago. They have an outdoor bandstand and a secondary outdoor bar. The second song was a Kenny Wayne Shepherd song where I play the solo and I did poorly. It scared me as my fingers were freezing.

7. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

49F with a 20 MPH wind is definitely a little nippy, even for this Albertan.

SRHmusic and LGOberean like this.
  8. LGOberean

John, if memory serves, you are also a diabetic. Does that affect your hands? I think it does with me.

I think I have some diabetic neuropathy, which affects both my feet and hands. Maybe part of it too is that I had a quadruple bypass six years ago. I've gotten in better shape in the last year and a half or so, but my feet still perpetually have a "pins & needles" tingling to them, and when I play guitar, even in warm weather, if I do a three song medley I start to lose some feeling in my fingers. So the cold today was particularly problematic.

Thanks. If my fellow TDPRIers from Buffalo, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Canada think today's conditions for me were at least a bit "nippy," then I don't feel quite so wimpy now.

BTW, I'm a definite Gordon Lightfoot fan, since I first heard "Early Morning Rain" in the mid '60s. And one of Gord's songs I performed today was "Alberta Bound."

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Yes! I love Santa Larry!

And little Larry is there too

That picture just looks cold, good ol december

10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I cannot play AT ALL when my hands are cold, so well done to you!
    I’ve got Raynaud’s syndrome: as soon as I’m cold my fingers turn white and my hands look like a vanilla/strawberry fudge. After an episode I’m done playing for the rest of the day because my fingers will feel numb for hours.
    I’m amazed you managed to get through this gig.

11. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Gig? What's a gig? haven't been able to play one in the UK since March. FB and Zoomy things don't count.

12. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That’s too cold for playing comfortably. We played till Halloween at outdoor venues, and getting into the upper 50’s was tough.

BTW when I saw the picture, my first reaction was, “Santa Claus does NOT belong in a Nativity Scene!”

Sorry.

telestratosonic, LGOberean and Chip like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm still doing outdoor gigs ( though fewer as we creep into Winter)

Been playing in the 40's temps- bluegrass Farmers Markets on weekend mornings, and outside patios at Brewpubs on weekend evenings

It is completely weird how our fingers seem to still work on the fretboard making chords or taking lead breaks, though they don't even feel anything! Numb, yet they work!

A cold back of the neck bothers me the most, I think.

Sadly, gigs will be slowing to a crawl, but still have Winter bookings- gotta play

14. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Our Last Outside gig in October, Sewaren NJ, it was 48 degrees. I can relate.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

It gets cold in the desert, and, the heat makes you resent cold. My Wife gets cold feet and has been like this for ever. Many moons ago, I bought electric socks for her. Two D batteries were the power supply. It hardly warmed and the batteries were dead after 4 or so hours anyway. Present day, I finally bought a cordless blower caseu batteries are doing much much better these days. Then, I thought about our guy Torres working on poles with cold blowing wind, while looking at this company, Gobi. MAN, they make claims that are impressive and the batteries are [​IMG]rechargeable. OP, that would have kept you warm. For a few hundred dollars, you could have kept warm for the gig and be able to pass out on your porch and not get hypothermia. It is going to be where coats like this, haver solar collection on the back & shoulders.

16. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

17. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Not a gig but I had an outdoor acoustic jam last weekend. It was warmer than usual, around 10 degrees C. I guess one good thing is your beer doesn't get warm.

SRHmusic and telestratosonic like this.
  18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Did you consider gloves? I guess I shouldn’t complain when it’s 65F in my basement. Good on you for sticking it out.

19. LGOberean

Seven or eight years ago, my wife made me a Santa suit (among her many talents, she's a great seamstress). A friend has his business in the Lamar Park Mall, and every year for Christmas decoration they host what they call "The Lighting of Lamar Park." On a whim, I decided to wear the Santa suit. As we were driving there, it occurred to me: this is a big deal every year, with live music, carolers, etc. They will almost certainly have hired a Santa for the gig.

Sure enough, there was another guy in a Santa suit. So I made a point not to be anywhere near the same side of the Park he was working. But at one point, a precocious little boy of about six challenged me: "Didn't I just see a Santa on the other side of the Park?" All I could think of in the moment was "You're right, I've got a confession to make: I'm not Santa. I'm his little brother, Larry Claus." That seemed to satisfy the boy. So I've gone by "Larry Claus" ever since.

Another story about "little Larry" as you put it. Eleven years ago, my nephew died in a tragic accident, my younger brother's only son. I flew up for the funeral, and packed light. I had the clothes on my back and everything else was in a backpack. While there, my sister-in-law had just bought this Jerry Garcia "doll" (for want of a better word). She said I had to have it, and gave it to me. There was no room for it in the backpack, so I had to carry the thing on the flight home.

Coming home, my brother drove me to Love Field. As the guards or whatever they're called were checking my backpack, this guy looked at Jerry Garcia and asked, "What's that, dawg?" (I don't know if he just didn't know who Jerry Garcia was, or if he was wondering why I was carrying it around.)

Either way, inspiration struck. I held it up beside my face and said, "This is Mini Me." I thought we were going to have to scrape the guy up with a spatula he was laughing so hard. So "Jerry Jr." became "Mini Me," and has come to gigs ever since, and is introduced as such.

upload_2020-12-6_9-45-23.png

envirodat, SRHmusic, Slap Axe and 3 others like this.
  20. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.