Probably done before but what are the ten best uk bands of all time?

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I despise these ridiculous, limiting "best ever" lists, but will add a few more deserving of mention that have not been listed.
Always sad to see commercially successful, media induced pushed to popular, and best, so correlatively confused.

The Grease Band
Lindisfarne
Pentangle
Colosseum
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band .... and Maggie Bell
Ray Ellington Quintet
The Shadows
.... just what came to mind for now.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
You know what, reading back I don't think anyone's mentioned The Jam!

I almost did!

I think my 'problem' is that you have to ask yourself ..... are they a 'better' band than the bands that inspired and influenced them?

Are they a better band than The Who, The Beatles, The Kinks and The Small Faces?

Maybe they are, but that's half the 10 spots gone already.

I think they were a way better band than The Rolling Stones though, so maybe they should be in there.

saltyseadog

Tele-Holic
If I was giving my top ten fave British bands it would likely be different but I think the OP's question should be based on chronological importance so my top ten in that respect would be:
The Shadows with or without Cliff they were the first guitar hero band in the UK.
The Beatles changed everything not just in the UK but worldwide.
The Rolling Stones along with the Beatles good boys image the Stones had the opposite image.
The Who amalgamated the influences of the above and created a whole new tribe in the mods.
Cream took virtuosity to another level and did away with the three minute track length
Fairport Convention took folk music and electrified it.
David Bowie creator of artrock.
The Police not personally a big fan but they did take that reggae thing and turn it into something new.
The Clash the Stones of the punk era
The Jam the Beatles of the punk era.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I'm not much into the rock band scene, but I like the Pogues a lot. Also from Ireland, Imelda May's original band, now apparently abandoned, was incredible, but more like a studio band.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
If I was giving my top ten fave British bands it would likely be different but I think the OP's question should be based on chronological importance so my top ten in that respect would be:
The Shadows with or without Cliff they were the first guitar hero band in the UK.
The Beatles changed everything not just in the UK but worldwide.
The Rolling Stones along with the Beatles good boys image the Stones had the opposite image.
The Who amalgamated the influences of the above and created a whole new tribe in the mods.
Cream took virtuosity to another level and did away with the three minute track length
Fairport Convention took folk music and electrified it.
David Bowie creator of artrock.
The Police not personally a big fan but they did take that reggae thing and turn it into something new.
The Clash the Stones of the punk era
The Jam the Beatles of the punk era.

What I don't understand about the Beatles/Stones era (which I can only look back on for the most part as I wasn't born until the end of 69) is that to me looking back the Stones didn't really hit their stride until the Beatles were pretty much over. To me the Stones didn't really become a 'great' band until around 68/69 with Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet.

Before that they seem very 'patchy' especially on the albums. Is it mainly because the single was still king and The Stones managed to pull out a cracking single every 6 months? None of the albums before that are even close to the Beatles albums of the same year imo.

... and personally I think they trailed off quite badly after the 70's too, I'm not into their 80's stuff at all.

All of which is a long way of saying why they don't get in my top 10. I quite curious how people younger than me view them, especially as they are still around as a band. I can't imagine my kids would understand their significance at all.

dougbgt6

TDPRI Member
John Mayell's Blues Breaker with Eric
The Steam Packet featuring Long John Baldry, Julie Driscol and Rod the mod
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Chicken Shack featuring Christine Perfect
Screaming Lord Sutch, (he used to make his entrance in a coffin)
Osibesa
Vinegar Joe featuring Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmer
Rolling Stones
Who
Geno Washington and the Ram Jam band

I've seen them all in pubs and halls.

Doug

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Kinks
Stones
Zep
Faces
Yardbirds
Bevis Frond
Clash

Cheers,
Geoff

Last edited:

Slim Chance

Tele-Afflicted
1. Beatles
2. Stones
3. The Who
4. Derek and the Dominoes
5-10 Whoever else you want at that particular moment.
11. Not the Kinks
20. Still not the Kinks

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
To me, as far as influences anyway, the top 10 would be:

The Beatles
Jesus and Mary Chain
The Cult
Fields of the Nephilim
Depeche Mode
The Cure
The Smiths
Echo and the Bunnymen/Ian McCulloch
Bauhaus/Love and Rockets/Peter Murphy
Joy Division/New Order

The latter three I bundled together their incarnations/variations because it's pretty hard in my mind to split them up. Plus I wanted to sneak in more than 10. Pretty hard to leave out others like The Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Stone Roses, The Clash, Primal Scream, Big Country, The Skids, The Fall, Undertones, Stiff Little Fingers, Adam Ant, Oasis, Blur, Charlatans, Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Tears for Fears, Prodigy, Kasabian, The Verve, The Damned, Sex Pistols, Slade, Iron Maiden, and probably hundreds of others.