Pro wrestling

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hatfield92, Jun 5, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

ABSOLUTELY. amazing movie and you don't have to be a wrestling fan to appreciate it

Rourke is one of my fave actors

DonM and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

My buddy I worked with is actually a pro wrestler in the UK and has won belts, so I know a lot about it from the inside

As much as I know it is a scripted pantomime, the injuries they all get are very serious. I think a lot of people know the pantomime element but therefore also presume the injuries are fake. Not so

Hatfield92 likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

When I was a social worker with "retarded" and autistic adults, one of my tasks was to take all the clients who were interested to the matches in the agency van. Hilarious adventures, all.

One of our higher-functioning clients would scoff throughout the matches, "Oh, that's so fake--it's all like a play. It's fake." But when each match would reach its pivotal point, he'd shout, "NOW it's real!"

Another client had a special fondness for policeman, so to get and keep her in our seats I had to introduce her first to all the cops there so she could coo at (and, actually, on) them. Most of them knew her, and were amused to let her adore them for a bit. When the matches got intense, she'd say, "They all need a police-man to go in there and beat 'em up. Without no shirt on."

Another client, a tiny, older woman, had an incredible talent for disappearing even though I always made her sit next to me, with big candy boxes arched across our knees so I could tell if she was getting out of her seat. Somehow, she'd vanish without me noticing, over and over. But I never had to search for her, because a few minutes later I'd always hear, "Will Bob Van please come to the Courtesy Desk. Will Bob Van...." My last name isn't "Van," but since we had driven there in the van, that was how the client knew and named me. Each time she'd wander off, she'd go by the candy counter to get us another big box (one of the staff there was very kindly), and then take it to the Courtesy Counter and tell them to page me. When I'd show up, she'd say, "What's wrong with you, kid, getting lost like that, every dog day?"

When we'd get back to our seats, the other, skeptical client would tell me, "Well, you missed some fake parts and some real parts, but I can show you what happened later if I can borrow someone's purple underwear."

4. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I confess.... I to this day watch old matches on youTube. Bruiser , Crusher , Terry Funk. Great stuff. Can't stand WWE. Used to be ok when it was WWWF. NWA was always good. The southern states had some good shows. Old rasslin and fart videos, doesn't take much to keep me entertained..

bftfender and Hatfield92 like this.
  5. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Was big in Australia back in the day, the big names from the states would come out and get amongst it

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Hatfield92 likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

my oldest kid is a huuuuuge Undertaker fan.

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Are you Dustin McPhetridge?

8. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

It's the only sport I bet on.

RoscoeElegante and Hatfield92 like this.
  9. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Loved King Curtis and Andre!

10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

In the late 90's early 2000's my band would practice on Monday nights in the Keyboard players parents house and then we would take over their living room and watching Monday Night Raw. This was during the WW"F" get the F out period as they transitioned to the WWE. His parents were so cool to let all these 20 something guys invade the house every Monday, and it usually wasn't just the band.

11. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I think you mean Rufus R. Jones. His matches with Harley Race were amazing.

"NO DQ. This match can only be stopped by a doctor!"

So, of course, ...

They were fire together in the early 70s. Harley really knew how to get a crowd to hate him. And people loved Rufus. They lit up rings all over the midwest.

As an aside, the Rev. Slick (of the WWF or E, I forget which it was called at that time) was Rufus' adopted son. I read about what was apparently his wrestllng business debut when, as a young boy, he was kidnapped by (I think) Black Angus during Rufus' match with Handsome Harley.

Rufus ran out of the ring to save him, thus losing the match by count out.

I realized later that I lost interest in pro wrestling about the same time that Rufus started wrestling in the Carolinas (mid-South I think it was called) and Race became an international star, thus not wrestling as often out of Kansas City.

Apparently Rufus had the same kind of ring relationship with Ric Flair that he had with Race, except that Flair really didn't like him.

Edit: I think he moved to Mid-Atlantic, not mid-south.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Maybe 20 years ago I was at a meeting where we were learning about an advertising campaign that our denomination was going to roll out.

We watched some videos of the ads, which we were told would be running on the Oxygen channel. I've never been good at keeping my mouth shut, so I volunteered that they were edgy and cool (the theme was "who can you trust") and they ought to be showing them on wrestling.

Got a big laugh from people in the room.

When we took a break, I was surrounded by people who wanted to talk about wrestling.

One of the presenters had been Harley Race's pastor. He told me about how Harley, who had been a co-owner of the Kansas City and St. Louis promotions, lost his shirt when WWF expanded, because he couldn't get his partners to make the investments necessary to compete on a production quality level. They ended up selling cheap to the owners of one of the other NWA promotions, I think Mid-South.

Edit: I think they sold to Mid-Atlantic.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    william tele likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I got to see haystacks calhoun vs the Sheik

14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Fritz Von Erich's mother lived around the corner from us when I was growing up in NE Texas. I was a ~10 year old kid, riding my bike by her house.. and occasionally we'd see some of the brothers there, or even Fritz himself.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  15. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Here's a song a buddy of mine wrote & recorded. Unfortunately he never got this to Ox before he died.

16. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Wow, I thought I was the only one that remembers ol Vern Gagne. He was something special.

Years ago when I was living in Phoenix, a couple of buddies and I would gather up a Suburban load of kids and go see them.
    Hogan, Dugan (HeyOOOhhh!), Savage era. It was so much fun! I'd be hoarse for a few days afterwords from screaming so much.
    The midgets were always a favorite. Slapstick Comedy at it's finest.

I still watch it, every chance I get.

17. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't trust anyone who doesn't know about the camel clutch.

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wasn't that Crusher Kowalski? And Verne Gagne sure sold a lot of snake oil....Gera-Speed!:)

Flakey likes this.
  19. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I like it....if pro wrestling has a comparison, it's violent cartoons.
    I only got to see a small-time show at the local armory but it was fine entertainment! An elderly lady at ringside was going nuts: "he's got something in his trunks! Foul! Foul!!" she had to be restrained.
    :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.