1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pro wrestling

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hatfield92, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Confession: I’m a huge pro wrestling nerd. When I was nine, my family moved, and most of the kids in my new third grade class were rasslin’ fans. So I assimilated. And I’ve been a huge fan ever since.

That was 1983, and pro wrestling was just starting to experience a huge boom thanks to Hulk Hogan appearing in Rocky III, and Cyndi Lauper/MTV getting involved in WWF... “the rock and wrestling connection”.

I found myself more drawn to Mid Atlantic/NWA, which was (relatively) more realistic and less cartoonish than the WWF. The mid 80s was a seminal time for that stuff.

Nowadays, I get into WWE’s developmental brand, NXT... which is based here in FL. It features up-and-coming talent, and is arguably better than the company’s two “main” brands. NXT frequently runs house shows in the Tampa area, and front row seats can be had for 20 bucks. I’ve gone to a few of these and had a blast.

Any other current or former fans here on TDPRI?

Dan R and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  2. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I've enjoyed wrestling off and on for most of my life. I feel it should be viewed live, and up close, if you ever get a chance. There is a lot more to it, than meets the eye.

My early hero's were Bull Dog Bob Brown, Harley Race and Rufus R Jackson. Later on I liked the Harts and many others.

I watched this podcast with Steve Austion last week. If you want a peek into his career or experiences, check it out.

OlRedNeckHippy and Hatfield92 like this.
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Harley Race lived in my old neighborhood...never saw him once.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

verb boten, Wallo Tweed and beach bob like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Rock n Roll Buck Zumhoff, The Ganya (sp?)Bros, Baron von Rashkie (the Claw), Jerry Blackwell...,

6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Much enjoyed the WWF glory days of Macho Man Savage, Adrian Adonis, Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik, King Kong Bundy, Kamala, Sgt. Slaughter, Classy Fred Blassie, etc., and cranky peripherals like Iron Mike Sharpe. American opera at its finest.

But I enjoyed the bad-guy color commentators stuff the most, especially Jessie The Body Ventura's snarks. His little debates with good-guy announcer Gorilla Monsoon were hilarious. Jessie had great timing, spitting his venom just as the cameras and crowds were adoring the victorious good guys.

About the Country Boys (Uncle Elmer, Cousin Luke, and Hillbilly Jim): "How'dyalike them to do your taxes?

About the British Bulldogs as they gap-tooth-smiled after a big victory: "Looks like those boys floss with rope."

About George the Animal Steele as he once again lost all momentum to focus on turnbuckle padding instead of his opponent: "I think the Animal's been hanging around the skateboard park a little too much, Gorilla."

And when a bad guy was being announced as "from parts unknown, weight unknown," Jessie did a little Popeye-mumble and said, "Parts unknown--the only place in the world without a scale."

Also, "Gorilla, how come when one of your so-called good guys calls on mom and apple pie to win a match you say he's being resourceful, but when one of my guys uses a foreign object to win you say he's cheating? You're not consistent, Gorilla, and you know it."

7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I did go to one match as a young boy, with my grandparents. My Grandpa was a very big fan. I was so young that I don’t remember much about it except that the crowd was very excited and there was a lotta guys getting tossed around and bonked in various ways. It was a smaller place, maybe around St Louis or the Alma area, probably mid/late 1950s.

This was in the days of The Sheik, Bobo Brazil, and the good guy, Leaping Larry Chene. He could really wrestle! I kept watching it through about high school and then life took me away to other interests. It has always been entertaining and if you haven’t caught “The Wrestler” with Mickey Rourke I highly recommend it.

When I worked for a large nursing home chain in Lansing in the early ‘70s my boss Clancy said The Sheik lived near him and was often seen driving a station wagon full of kids. I guess he had a more literate and softer side hidden in there somewhere.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  8. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking wrestling is the only sport where aspiring athletes don't necessarily want to turn pro.

verb boten and RyCo1983 like this.
  9. blowtorch

Bobby "The Brain" Heinen

10. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I think he was jailed for child molestation or something like that

11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I was just talking to a guy the other day who actually wrestles here in Texas. He is a little weird but apparently they have a tour of the area where he is active. He is trying to get into better shape so he can do more shows.

12. blowtorch

yeah i read about that too

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

How can you get invested emotionally in a pantomime? These things are choreographed and scripted

14. blowtorch

ex-GF got me into watching the old Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling series.
    She had a thing for a lot of those gals ;)

verb boten likes this.
  15. blowtorch

Every single thing you watch on television is this way

EXCEPT the old Bugs Bunny stuff

16. Hatfield92

I really enjoy how regionalized the replies are. Up until the mid 80 (for those of you unfamiliar), there was no real national promotion. Pro wrestling was a loosely organized group of regional territories. So, naturally, the Missouri guy is going to be a Harley Race fan. And because of where I grew up, I was a fan of guys like Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat. Texas guys would be fans of the Von Erichs (Dallas) or the Funks (Amarillo).

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I was really into it in the mid to late 90s. I got back into it randomly in high school (what else to watch on Monday nights?)

As an adult, I catch up on YouTube and stuff. My favorite heel had to retire due to insane neck injury. I saw Amy Dumas' band (aka Lita) years back and chatted with them for half hour or so after the show.

Wwe isn't great, it shows what happens to a product when no mainstream competition really exists (heck, that's why nxt is so good). TNA in the later 2000s with thier internet broadcasting was on to something. Too bad the writing was turd. Now, as an adult, I think AEW has what it takes to put out a great product. Modern stars aren't as adherent to kayfabe, and I think this new company (I'll admit they're only one production in) has what it takes to provide the suspension of disbelief that's been hard to attain for ages.
    Specifically, if someone would have told me in 1999 or 2007 that the best match in ages would be 50 year old Golddust vs his little brother, I'd have laughed. But the variables that they took risks on (crowd reaction, how much Dustin bled like a stick pig after his sister in law opened up the cut where he bladed REALLY WIDE, the risks taken by a 50 year old who is just coming back from double knee surgery...) they made it work by using all of those variables and making absolutely certain they put on the best match possible, even if it killed one of them. Knowing these people are thick as thieves outside of "work" doesn't matter if the writing and thier performance is organic and blends right. It's good so far.
    Anyway, yea, its fake, as in predetermined 90+% of the time. What it is happens to be choreographed sometimes, or they wing it with little more than 5 minutes of brainstorming before hand. But the athletic part is you go out and have someone beat the tar out of you in front of a live and televised audience, and get trained on not dying in the process. It's a show, but some "trade secrets " are just that Terry punches you as hard as he can in the forehead to make it "look real". Or you cut yourself with a thin blade, then your coworker beats the wound with something to get the red flowing. I'm sure it's an OSHA nightmare to explain how you're training 19 year olds how to somersault off of the top rung of a ladder onto a folding table in a way that doesn't cause paralysis. It's an entertainment industry. Even people who think it's pure trash have to give its performers credit. Also, the end result sucks less than reality tv.

Not super into it. But it's still neat, after all these years.

OlRedNeckHippy and Hatfield92 like this.
  18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Oh man you forgot The Crusher South Milwaukee's favorite son and then there's Mad Dog Vechon too! Vern Gagne!

OlRedNeckHippy and blowtorch like this.
  19. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

the only legit sport...can't find a betting line anywhere!

Flakey, noah330 and Piggy Stu like this.
  20. Hatfield92

It’s still highly entertaining. There’s some really high quality product in the U.K. Young guys like Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate are outstanding. And a guy named Tom Billington (the Dynamite Kid), who recently passed far too young, was a hugely influential guy in the 80s. He was arguably, poundfor pound, the greatest of all time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.