1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pro Tools Tutorials?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by EdgarHF, Oct 21, 2020.

1. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

A few days with pro tools first was enough to get me to upgrade to a pro tools perpetual licensed edition. I did the upgrade Monday after which two days of misery today I finally have it reasonably configured with my controller and plugins working. Now, I need to really learn the working of this software. I have been searching YouTube for pro tools tutorials. These have been of varying quality, most bad. I have though found a couple of good ones. I need to find more. Can anyone give me some pro tools YouTube recommendations? Any good websites would be great too.

2. EdgarHF

I have found since originally posting that the Avid YouTube channel has a good startup series of tutorials aimed at beginners like me.

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I don't use Pro Tools, but I have no doubt there's a forum out there with a newbie section that has the answers you seek.

EdgarHF likes this.
  4. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Even after many years of using Pro Tools (and different versions), I still sometimes don't remember a functions process and have to look for a quick tutorial. Maybe instead of looking for a general encompassing video, just do a search on YouTube for the exact thing you are looking to do. That's how I find it quick. You may have to look at 2-3 videos if one doesn't quite explain it, but usually within 10 minutes you should have it.

T Prior and EdgarHF like this.
  5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

This, above is quite accurate. Regardless of which DAW we are learning, do it in baby steps, a section or function at a time. I believe many folks take on a DAW such as Pro Tools and within a short period give up or go get another, claiming another is better and easier. Then others pile on. I feel its because they are tackling too much at one time. Break it down, write your own manual (notes). While I have been a user for a decades, I do not consider myself any sort of full blown expert. When I run across a function I am not familiar with or have forgot,( more likely) I grab a specif You Tube or Internet instruction , not a full blown tutorial. A specific topic as mentioned above.

The everyday chores of a DAW such as PT's are fairly basic and common in comparison to other DAWS . Start slow, get acquainted with the DAILY tasks before heading into more advanced functions. There are plenty of well presented video's ( tutorials) for specif commands and functions out there. I know this first hand ! :)

Studying a full featured DAW such as Pro Tools or any full featured DAW, all at the same time , is like trying to memorize a 10 volume set of instructions where only Volume 1 is necessary for a majority of what we may do. Volumes 9 thru 10 are for reference.

I am very established at my routine , my typical session , I repeat the process /procedure each time and have for over a decade . However there are always a few things that pop up which become a NEED, thats when I go to You Tube or Google. These are typically functions outside my normal routine box. I have two nice PT's books but quite frankly GOOGLE is much faster !

I always laugh to myself when I read how difficult PT's is to setup each time to record or start a session, its too involved, too many Bells and Whistles. By the way Bells and Whistles have another name , "features or functions". and if someone is doing this each time they turn on the DAW, then yep, they are right, its too involved. I equate that to each time we turn on our PC, we assign new icons/shortcuts on the main screen which identify our daily tasks and common programs. Right, we don't do that, ever.

One thing that WILL assist in going forward is creating session templates with common functions , input assignments and processing etc.... I don't believe I have created a session from scratch in years, I grab one of the templates which is ready to go, sure I may have to make minor edits, thats a given, but nonetheless, they are ready to go. Then the all IMPORTANT- SAVE AS. Building session templates allows the user to lay out sessions in ORDER, assign IN's/Outs,processing, AUX zones , screen sizing, etc. Its amazing how much we learn just be creating a few different templates. Plus this allows ALL sessions to be similar in organization and layout , not created from scratch and unorganized which also allows us to forget something. In addition, I am using 3 or 4 different preamps on the INPUT, they are each labeled, ( sticker) 1 thru 4 . When I assign an input in the template, its that easy , 1 thru 4, I know exactly which one is which. Sure I can edit and change but its a no brainer. Each of the common routine tasks are included in the templates. Don't reinvent the wheel. By the way, you only really have to build 1 Template, the rest are based on the 1st one with some variances, then SAVE AS.

Have fun, remember though, it takes 6 months to build a house, they start by clearing the lot, building the foundation, then the floor, then the walls, then the roof etc... its a process, a KNOWN process :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. EdgarHF

I have since found out AVID runs an excellent community forum. I have also purchased a manual. While the manual has not been a replacement for a community forum and YouTube searches it is making me more proficient now that I have sat down a whole day not to solve a particular problem but to learn the software step by step even learning the shortcuts. Doing this I am stumbling upon cool features I would have never have thought of searching for or asking for.

Toast and T Prior like this.
  7. T Prior

Excellent ! :)

"Cool Features" are also known as WORKFLOW Tools !

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Don’t laugh Face Book forums are a wealth of information, you usually get quick responses to a question . I use FB forums for logic, universal audio and quiet a few other things i’m interested in.

EdgarHF and T Prior like this.
  9. T Prior

Very true, but these FB groups are also where we find the "Reaper is Better " club members ! :) There are some excellent users in the FB groups , very helpful as well. Also rather fast replies, don't forget, FB group users get instant notifications .

EdgarHF and SacDAve like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.