Pro tools class GC

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by SacDAve, Jul 7, 2012.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just went to a Pro tools class at GC. It was one of 4 saturday classes, I was surprised at how informative it was. This class was on some basic stuff to get you started but I learned some tricks. He was using PT10, seemed not much deferent than 9 to me. I think 10 makes a big deference your doing video stuff. One thing I learned that will help when I get a new Mac PT only reads up to 4GB of ram. IF I heard him right some Plug-ins will use some of the ram over 4GB. ( I going to ask more about that ) Now I have a growing list of question for the next class. So if anyones interested I think it's at every GC and the class keeps repeating.

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Glad it worked for you.., sounds like you had a good instructor.

I went to a class recently which was advertised as a discussion of dynamic processors , compressions etc... I was hoping to catch some insight on techniques.

Wrong..The instructor knew less than me, and pretty much everyone else in the class. And lets make it clear, I don't know all that much about this stuff...

For a person just starting out, the very beginning, these short classes would are fine..but that's not how they advertise them, they call them clinics, or at least the one I went to was called a clinic.

What they are , are sales promo's for specific products. That's not a bad thing but that's not what they advertised when I went.

I knew we were in big trouble when the instructor described a compressor as an effect for guitars..." you can get a kool sound from it "..was what he said.

At least 3 or 4 people asked specific questions of which the instructor had no clue of the answer and finally admitted that he was assigned to talk at this clinic but had very little experience.

Again, these clinics are not a bad thing but they really need to advertise them as NOVICE...in my class, I stayed as I was talking with other attendees but at least 2 guys walked out after 15 minutes.

The one I attended was advertised as a processor clinic and what it really was, was a Garage Band Sales pitch..sponsored by Apple...it was class # 3 in the series of 4 classes.

5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They guy teaching the class was extremely knowledgeable, he did follow a scrip but did say he dose go down bunny trails. There were about 12 people in the class a couple were pretty sharp but they seemed very interested and ask some good questions. (he new the answers) The one thing the instructor said it’s real easy to get carried away with this stuff and spend thousands so set some limits. As for trying to sell us stuff he named some stuff he liked and did say it was available and you can talked to him about any product after the class , so no real sales pitches at all. I think what made the class nice you could tell the instructor liked sharing his knowledge; I felt more like I was talking to a friend. So for the class was better than I expected. Next week defiantly a note pad.

6. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...now only if they would do the same for Logic... I think Woodman and I would BOTH be there!!!!

Franc Robert

7. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Maybe we could get ScatMan to fly us in for an intensive! :D

8. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I almost bit on the GC guitar setup class a few weeks ago............ lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.