Pro Reverb versus Deluxe Reverb

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
I have '66 versions of both the DR and the Pro R. Pro Reverb is the "Low Power Twin" of the blackface/silverface era. When properly set up it's a good as Fender ever got. The Deluxe is a fine amp, but the Pro is the Guv'nor. Give me 6L6s over 6V6s.

I'm a bit disappointed Fender did their '68 Custom Pro R. only one channel and one 12.

Dan Skammer

Tele-Meister
Popularity, I sold my '72 Pro Reverb in good shape about 6 years ago , I couldn't give it away , it took a long time to sell. If it had been a '72 Deluxe Reverb it probably would have sold very quickly, for a least twice or more for what the Pro sold for..

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
The title on this one threw me as well gang...

The OP is not talking about a vintage Pro Reverb. He's talking about Fender's new '68 Custom Pro Reverb.

I am actually rather excited about the new '68 Pro Reverb. I am still shocked more folks aren't... Guys on this forum, at least, have been crying for a 40 watt 1x12 amp and how Fender missed the boat by not continuing the brownface 1x12 Vibrolux into the Blackface era.

Those specs seem like such a great gigging amp.... Because you also add in the light weight!

I have no direct experience with one, yet. I keep forgetting about them. But, I am interested.

One thing the '68 CPR has is bias vary trem. Which I love so much more than the opticoupler in the Deluxe Reverbs (and most of the other BF circuits).

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
@Axis29 - one of my local shops has the ‘68 Pro.

My take is if you are into non-MV Fender, it’s the real deal. BIG, clean, sparkly sound. Super dynamic and “alive”. The Mid knob I always search for when I use backline Deluxe Reverb. Lush but useable and really nice Reverb. Trem sounds great and feels great (I’m not a tech and don’t know what style it is).

By “real deal” I don’t mean “faithful to a vintage” model. I mean, big, punchy, musical gigging amp.

I can’t believe the size and weight. And this and the Tonemaster series have opened my eyes to either how far Neo speakers have come or how much amp circuit designers have learned about tuning the circuit to neo speakers.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
@Axis29 - one of my local shops has the ‘68 Pro.

My take is if you are into non-MV Fender, it’s the real deal. BIG, clean, sparkly sound. Super dynamic and “alive”. The Mid knob I always search for when I use backline Deluxe Reverb. Lush but useable and really nice Reverb. Trem sounds great and feels great (I’m not a tech and don’t know what style it is).

By “real deal” I don’t mean “faithful to a vintage” model. I mean, big, punchy, musical gigging amp.

I can’t believe the size and weight. And this and the Tonemaster series have opened my eyes to either how far Neo speakers have come or how much amp circuit designers have learned about tuning the circuit to neo speakers.

Ahhh, the joy of Neo. You and I remember the days of awful sounding neo speakers. It made me stupid nervous when I started contemplating them for my tweed Twin. But, that was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The Celestion Creamback Neo is a particularly good speaker.

And, thanks for the quick review. I guess I really have to do some searching for one of these....

An interesting side note... I work in construction/remodeling (I'm a custom woodworker/cabinet maker). But, in my travels, there is a large contractor, a painting contractor, in my area that reminds me of you every time I see their trucks, Millmark Painting. Makes me chuckle when I see it.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
The new Pro Reverb all the way. One of the things that I hate about DRRI or TMDR is the "normal" channel. Why do I still have this choice? And it's why I want a Pro Reverb instead of a DR or anything else: one channel.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
+1000

Vintage BF & SF Pro Reverbs are the best Fender amps ever.

Back in the day when I was in music retail I'd suggest customers get the Pro over the Twin but really never had much success, mostly because the Twin had a mids control on both channels. At the time sort of a red headed stepchild living between the Vibrolux and Twin. People are catching on now, asking prices have gone way up over the past few years.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Popularity, I sold my '72 Pro Reverb in good shape about 6 years ago , I couldn't give it away , it took a long time to sell. If it had been a '72 Deluxe Reverb it probably would have sold very quickly, for a least twice or more for what the Pro sold for..
Yeah, Sold my '68 about then. Like pulling teeth getting $800 out of it. I even had the Oxford speakers correctly reconed and they sounded amazing after.

The guy that does our recording bought one off Ebay, a '73 I think, in 2019. Ratty and dirty, $350 !
I did a cap job for him and it sounded great! What a deal. It wasn't THAT beat up, dirty and a little scuffed corners etc. Looked like it had never been touched. There was about two tablespoons of dust on the lower edge of each speaker against the grill!

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
I think I'll just stick with my 68CDR Red and my HRD4. If I need more headroom and bottom end than the Deluxe Reverb, I'll just use the HRD4.

randym

Tele-Meister
If the original Pro Reverb is considered a 'low power Twin', can we call the new 68 Custom Pro Reverb a 'half-Twin'? Half the power, half the speakers, half the channels!

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If you need to cut through a band mix without being mic'ed...especially the bottom end...if you like to feel that thump in the soles of your feet...Pro, for sure.
If you need break up at sensible volume, though...
It's not really fair to compare the 2.
If you're on a big stage and can crank the Deluxe, that's one of the greatest sounds ever...a DR with everything on 10.

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
What year did the Pro Reverb go to a Mid pot on both channels and a Master Volume? Also, what year did the Mid control first show up on the VIBRATO channel? I think also the new '68 Custom Pro Reverb is NOT tube rectified?
Just Curious?
Gene

JayDee

Tele-Holic
I switched from a Deluxe Reverb on the job to the Custom Pro Reverb a few months ago. It gives me just the edge in headroom that I lacked with the Deluxe Reverb. I love the sound and feel of it. The mid control really gives it a lot of versatility. It has a very controllable and usable reverb as well. Also, as mentioned the tremolo on it is really above the DR.
One side note, I bias it cold to get what I want out of it.
I still like my DR, but the CPR has quickly become my main stage amp.
I hope this helps.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The title on this one threw me as well gang...

The OP is not talking about a vintage Pro Reverb. He's talking about Fender's new '68 Custom Pro Reverb.

I am actually rather excited about the new '68 Pro Reverb. I am still shocked more folks aren't... Guys on this forum, at least, have been crying for a 40 watt 1x12 amp and how Fender missed the boat by not continuing the brownface 1x12 Vibrolux into the Blackface era.

Those specs seem like such a great gigging amp.... Because you also add in the light weight!

I have no direct experience with one, yet. I keep forgetting about them. But, I am interested.

One thing the '68 CPR has is bias vary trem. Which I love so much more than the opticoupler in the Deluxe Reverbs (and most of the other BF circuits).

I like the small amps ( lightweight, cheap) I now use at gigs;
but when Fender came out with this new Pro Reverb, I thought to myself:
" This is the Fender amp I wish they had made in the '90's! Perfect!"
Just right for the blues band and later Country bar gigs I played.

( if we still had a house, I'd probably get one, it's beautiful too!)