Pro Junior with preamp/EQ for clean jazz

Davebass55

TDPRI Member
Hi everyone - I was happy with my Pro Junior’s sound for clean jazz when used with my HB equipped Eastman archtops. My teles sounded very thin, brittle, weak and noisy though. I guessed this was caused by the teles’ comparatively weak outputs (though may also be my preamp stage tubes getting old) so I put my Fishman double bass preamp/EQ between the tele and amp. Instant success - sound is now huge, bassy and clean, and the signal to noise ratio is much better. Even with the PJ’s volume on 2, it’s now loud enough for small gigs and, if turned up to 4, is actually a bit too loud for most gigs that I’d do and is still not breaking up! Success! Can’t help digging in now and then though to get a bit of dirt. 😄

Last edited:

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Nice to find a combination that works for you 🙂
Pro Jr is one of the best small portable amps. I use mine for jazz as well as other styles. I generally plug straight in with a big guitar or Tele, my teles have humbucker neck pickups.

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
The pro Jr is an amp that can be upgraded in many ways. It makes a nice head for adding extension cabinets, 1x2, 2x2, 4x10 and 4x12.

I have several pedals as preamps, Soundspeed, Lightspeed clone, Barbershop V2 and Greer Royal Velvet, Vox transformer preamp.

I have been using it for dedicated slide, plugging an Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX, with EMG 81 and 85 pickups, straight in, through a Bassman 4x10 410H, getting a Derek Trucks tone.

I have used all of the above, playing in a jam band.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yeah, pedals or pre amp units seem to add more girth. The Joyo American Sound is cheap and works well too.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I use an MXR Micro Amp + (The plus is a pair of tone knobs) so my single coil guitars can work with my amp setup for humbuckers.

I’m glad you already owned your own solution. Those are the best kind of solutions.