Pro Junior vs Blues Junior?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by coolikedat99, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

The 68 Custom Modified - get ready to meet the love of your life. Like an impossible wife, that gets more attractive everyday...all it needs is a Wampler Black 65 and you're set unto death!

surfandguitar likes this.
  2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Allow me to add that I too am having an extended honeymoon with the '68 Custom Princeton .

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Please, please stop it. I have myself convinced I am fully covered by my Super Reverb and Pro Junior and have no need to tread the sonic ground in between. I had allowed myself to forget about the 68 series of amps. You are resurrecting old dreams. :confused:

jimash, Fatschlamp and surfandguitar like this.
  4. surfandguitar

surfandguitar TDPRI Member

I only got 45 minutes alone time with the Princeton 68 custom, but my initial impression was it may have been the best amp I have ever played. A little controversial for some as the complaints I've heard "too bassy". I just thought it was a very full, dynamic, and clean sounding amp. Beautiful! May need to go back and give it another whirl.

I am currently looking for a reverb pedal to go in front of my Pro Junior but have such a hard time putting digital pedals in front of a tube amp. My experience, digital anything sounds great for a short while and then the harsh tones reveal themselves over time. Over critical or dead on?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    jimash and Route67 like this.
  5. Bradley-Jazz

Bradley-Jazz TDPRI Member

+1more

Mine is a new lacquered tweed that came with a Ruby tank. Swapped it for a MOD, and despite looking *almost* identical, it is a huge improvement. I am very fond of this amp.

6. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Dead on

audiopablo and surfandguitar like this.
  7. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

I tried the Pro Jr and Blues Jr before i got the 68 Princeton. Two things:

1 - if you had a pedal board ready to go w/ the Pro Jr, fair enough. But if you're buying a reverb to go w/ the amp, why not buy the amp that already has it on board, plus tremolo?

2 - as for the Blues Jr, I simply didn't rate it. And all the money people spend on top, modding it - for the extra money they spend, they could have got an amp that sounds great out of the box.

But anyway - good luck w/ your search.

8. surfandguitar

Glad to hear your enjoying the Princeton. Hell of an amp.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, you have hit the nail on the head with the reasoning I am going through. I have never been a fan of digital effects and do not like the thought of spending 100-200 bucks on adding something I may not like in the end, digital reverb. Biggest reason is my Pro Junior was 250 bucks and a Princeton is about 1000. I am at the point of "do I spend a little and add digital reverb, just enjoy what I have and let my analog delay fill in my sound, of go all in on my dream amp?" Your reasoning is sound and exactly what I am contemplating.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have the Kat 100, but the Pro in the bigger cab sounded amazing....

10. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

So the Pro jr. and BJr are quite different. The preamp of the Pro jr, is two unbypassed gain stages and a low loss, simple tonestack. Pro Jr. then is relying more on overdriving the EL84 power tubes for that tone. EL84 are pentodes, and among the easiest power tubes to drive into distortion.

The Blues Jr. has bypass caps (big ones so you are passing all frequencies) on the gain stages, for more gain because it's got a TMB lossy tone stack. Chances are, you are probably clipping in the preamp pretty hard, before you even get out to the phase inverter.

And then there's the the pre-PI MV which many feel is a tone-suck.

Personally, I think the Pro jr. is a sweet sounding, pure tube-tone circuit--as good as any of the Fender classic circuits. And you've already got it.

I'd be looking at a 6G15. They are a pretty simple build. The transformers are cheap. The Hoffman 6G15 will fit in a 10x6 Hammond Chassis (also cheap). And then you've got the Holy Grail of reverb.

[​IMG]

(I don't care for the reissues, Fender should have made some circuit mods to accommodate the 6V6...and they didn't.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Route67 and surfandguitar like this.
  11. surfandguitar

Epic response. Lots of great info on the tech description of each amp.
    I did not venture out today to even check on digital reverbs. I couldn't bring myself to introduce something into my rig that I use so much and have it be digital. The combo I am running of a MXR Carbon Copy and the Pro Junior is pretty solid in terms of tone.

I will look into the reverb tank build. That could be a great possibility. That one you built looks like a beauty.

If I really think about it, reissue vs a hand wired classic Princeton, the thought of getting a real vintage piece sounds like a better idea. In the meantime, I am pretty happy with what I have.

Definitely first world problems ^

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  12. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Agree, it produces incredibly sweet tone with a jazz box... seriously, think the Pro Jr. is one of the best creations in Fender history. I miss mine, would need get one again.... hope that they keep the same circuits as the old ones had.

13. Zebulon Bluze

Zebulon Bluze Tele-Meister

I have a Blues Jr. It's about 10 years old now. I wasn't crazy about it at first but I used the controls on the amp to make it sound the way I wanted it. After a while the speakers broke in and wow that amp sounded good and it still sounds good.

I don't believe in making mods on amps or guitars. You think Fender doesn't know what they're doing? Yeah, right!

IMO the Blues Jr. is a great little amp, worth every penny as is, and I'm sure the Pro Jr. is good too.

Route67 likes this.
  14. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I had my BJr cranked up a bit today (maxed out preamp volume) with output volume on no.2 and boy did it ever sound raunchy & dirty. It's easy to believe the Pro Jr to be a more sweet sounding amp with simplified circuit and power tube distortion (have yet to hear a ProJ in person). The day I bought my BJr the store had no ProJs in stock and still no one has them new the last few years in my area. At least my BJr is very quiet on idle and gives sparkling clean with bright and colourful midrange rather than the dark scooped overdrive of a modern metal amp. Just my personal preference.

15. Commodore 64

By your description, with the preamp dimed, I would expect you are getting crunch the preamp tubes (a la Marshall). Raunchy and dirty, yep. Now if you raised the plate resistors on V1 to 220k, and raised the cathode resistors to 2.7k or more, you'd be even closer to Marshall territory. Throw in a Hammond 1750PA OT for good measure.

The 1750PA is one of the best deals on OTs around, IMHO. They debuted at $36! Already up to $41 I see: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1750PA/?qs=lrqjml%2bjt8cxDhP5xJ0Rrw==

I haven't stuck a 1750PA into a Pro jr or BJr...but the stock OTs in both are deiberately undersized (a la tweed Era) so they add some raunchy character in and of themselves. I would think the 1750PA would give a better frequency response. When I get another Pro Jr, I plan to stick one in there.

I did stuff an 18066 (Deluxe) Classictone OT into a Pro Jr (only had to drill one hole). That OT is much bigger than the stock, but also designed on Tweed era specs, so I'm not sure it's the best choice for maximizing headroom/cleaner tones. Shoulda kept that amp.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Route67 likes this.
  16. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Thanks for this. Hot Rod ing a Hot Rod; and with the cabinet size adding to that raucous punch. I still have yet to locate an amp tech in my area. Have had the amp about 4 years and haven't had any problem with it. Would raising the plate resistors shorten tube life by any significant amount?

17. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I picked up a BJr mainly to tinker with, after going with most all of the Billm (RIP) mods, added a weber speaker, it is now a really capable amp for what it is.
    I can't compare it (yet) to a ProJr, hopefully soon though, I do need another project.

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Pro vrs Jr.
    I you asked me on different days you'd get a different answer.
    This causes some to buy both, others like me to avoid either. Indecision.
    Or VOX kept me from having to make one.

19. Commodore 64

No. But I wouldn't mess with that personally. The PCB boards in those amps are not made with swapping components in mind. The resistors won't sound better. Just different.

Now, the OT on the other hand, is just swapping wires. That one's pretty pretty easy, and I think has a net positive affect on tone no matter how you cut it.

Route67 likes this.
  20. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Did my entire CD with a Pro Jr. Clean to dirty, just volume knob adjustment. Love it. Teles, LP, Strats, LP Special, ES 175.
    https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marcmuller for audio samples.

surfandguitar, FrontPU and Route67 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.