Pro Junior speaker swap???

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Currently have a Jensen P10R in it. Considering a Greenback G10.

What can I expect as far as sonic differences?

Thanks,
Scott

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
The GB is the best speaker for the PJ, in my opinion.

You’ll get more midrange, but usable, not honky.

More of a roar when you turn it up. Less sweet/Fendery, more punchy.

Sweet spot is right around halfway, maybe a little less.

If you’re into Marshall style pedals, it’s absolutely perfect for that. It really starts sounding like a little Marshall 18 watt or similar at that point.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
More? Wow. It seems pretty midrangey already with the AlNiCo Jensen in it.

Hmmm...

Depends what you like and what your guitar/pickup situation is.

I do think it has more mids than the Jensen, but again, it’s not obnoxious.

Different vibe. If you like Marshalls, I’d absolutely do it. If you like more classic Fender style tones, it’s the worst speaker for that.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Different vibe. If you like Marshalls, I’d absolutely do it. If you like more classic Fender style tones, it’s the worst speaker for that.
Thanks. Yeah, I have other amps for "classic Fender style tones" already. So, it might be worth a shot in the Pro Junior (which I've never thought was capable of classic Fender tones in the first place).

I just saw that there was a special run of Pro Junior IVs that Fender made with the GB in it. So, someone smarter than me must've thought it was a good idea. :)

richey88

Friend of Leo's
PJIV.jpg
Let us know what you think after swapping....I just dug mine out after a pause, all-stock (but I think the P10 is a decent speaker), love this 'lil guy.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a special edition Blues Jr that came with a Celestion Greenback, that was a great sounding amp, I wish I had not sold it now.

Commodore 64

Friend of Leo's
When I gigged a Pro Jr. I used an Emi Ramrod in there. It kept up fine for stage volumes and cut through. The other guitarist use a Peavey Classic 50. Obviously he wasn't diming his amp. But I can say the Pro Jr. kept up with the drummer (I could hear myself on stage, at least).

Though, I'm totally the wrong person to judge what makes one speaker tonally different from another.

Tried to put an Alnico G10 in a Pro Jr. but the bell of the speaker wouldn't fit with the upgraded OT I had put in.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I put an Eminence Copperhead in my Pro Junior and I like it, opened the amp a lot, the original fender speaker was muddy and lacked definition. I didn't try a greenback, so cannot compare, but I guess I'm not a greenback lover in the first place

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I got my SF Princeton (no reverb version) back from the amp tech and thought that if I didn't love it, I'd flip it for a Pro Jr. I kept it, but a PJ and a PRRI do seem like they would be a great pairing for a two-amp, dual 10" setup. I dug the one I tried out at the shop.

I'm running a Ragin' Cajun in the Princeton, and a similar efficient speaker might work in a PJ if you don't want a ton of grit early on the volume dial (and like loud).

Last edited:

havlma1

Tele-Meister
My opinion is Jensen P10R is the best speaker for Pro Jr, bit compressed, clear, not muddy, complements the prominent midrange of the amp. In my case I didnt like GB at all, the amp sounded like under a blanket. But maybe if you always dime the amp, the GB might be the right one :)

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Currently have a Jensen P10R in it. Considering a Greenback G10.

What can I expect as far as sonic differences?

Thanks,
Scott
I dont think you are going to hear a ton of difference. Both are light duty speakers lacking low end. (that doesn't mean they are bad in the right situation)
But what do you want different from the P10R?

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
I use a couple of cabs with my Pro Jr IV Tweed.

Fender HM ported 1x12 cab with a Cannabis Rex, sensitive 102 db. With a MXR 10 band EQ, it is a capable of playing in a band with acoustic drums, not miced.

A very recent edition, a Fender Bassman 4x10 410H bass cab, 300W, 8ohms, weight 68 lbs, on casters.

This is really good with a guitar and has excellent cleans, AC/DC crunch and fuzz tones. It is exceptional for slide, with sustain without a compressor.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
If you don’t hear a difference between a P10R and a Greenback, check yourself into an ENT clinic immediately.

They are completely different, as some others have noted. The Jensen is a good match, but not as good as the original speaker Fender paired with that amplifier, the blue frame alnico still available as the Eminence 1028. Same chime as the Jensen but with more guts.

If you want to go British I would second the Ramrod - had one in my PJ and it sounded huge, great rock tone but not as dark as most Celestions.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Not sure if it's apples:apples with respect to the Pro Junior, or not, but looks like Jim Campilongo plays the Vintage G10 in some of his Princeton Reverbs.

buddy01

TDPRI Member
Platinum Supporter
Apologies if this is a bit of a hijacking. I have a early Pro Junior before they added the number designation. Type PR 257. It has a Fender speaker with a brown and yellow label. 30 watt Model V 1030. How does it compare to the Celestion and Jensen?

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Apologies if this is a bit of a hijacking. I have a early Pro Junior before they added the number designation. Type PR 257. It has a Fender speaker with a brown and yellow label. 30 watt Model V 1030. How does it compare to the Celestion and Jensen?
That is the ceramic Eminence 1030 which is stock in most of Pro Juniors.