1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pro Junior Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by PaulR, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BajaKrille

BajaKrille TDPRI Member

My rig from last night,2 PRO juniors,52 Custom shop tele,53 Gibson southern jumbo and Mjt Strat.
    The other guitarplayer is using 2 Blues juniors,Eastwood Tuxedo and 56 Custom shop Goldtop .
    Great sound!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnhe likes this.
  2. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

After a long time gone, I'm glad to see the PJ thread going strong! For all you tube-swappers hoping to shape gain, volume, and tone, I encourage you to try as many tubes as you can. I find the PJ to be insanely picky but worth the effort. I have access to lots of great tubes, and my PJ has sounded crappy with one $$$ NOS tube only to sing beautifully with a different tube. Some are very microphonic in this amp -- a frequent problem -- while others, not so. You just have to try a lot. I do prefer lower-gain preamp tubes (12AU7 and lots of others) in this amp. Additionally, there are some great mods and dress recommendations on the web, and I have done several, carefully selected, with great results. My PJ -- first issue MIA -- gets loads of love from everyone who hears or plays it. New ones... uh, who knows.

3. humblepie

humblepie TDPRI Member

Pro Jr. speaker upgrade choice

As of today, I'm the proud owner of two (2) Pro Juniors. I had a MIM black/silver that I upgraded with a Weber Legacy 10" 65 watt version. I don't know how other speakers have affected the bottom line sound, but this speaker definitely sounds like a 12".
    Huge soundstage, great mids, edge of breakup just couldn't be any better.
    Due to educating many kids in college, I've not been able to hold on to the boutique amps I've bought, always selling to pay a bill, but these PJs are just the ticket.
    I traded a bunch of gear I wasn't using for the first one. And today I purchased a USA made in the 90's tweed model for a mere $200 from a gentleman I know who takes immaculate care of his stuff. It has the blue frame in it.
    I can see getting a lot of tonal bases covered with these two. And the front end jumps like a boutique while making excellent pedal platforms.
    Loud and proud as well.

4. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Just took my new, early nineties Tweed w/Blue Frame Alnico PJ to its first rehearsal. Bought it to use as a backup to my Peavey Delta Blues. Brought it tonight because I didn't feel like humping his fifty pound big brother. (Well that, and of course I wanted to try opening it up.:D)

WHAT A BEAST!! I basically ran it in two modes. Vol. Set to 10:30 so just on the edge of breakup. Then I either hit it with a TS to blast some man-made gain through. Otherwise I kicked into real tube overdrive with my Soul Food set as a clean boost. This as you guys know is where the little sucker really shines. And when I cranked the guitar volume... whoah!

I would have no problem gigging with this amp. In some ways it is preferable to the Peavey which is a excellent amp at thirty watts, with a great OD channel, on board trem and reverb and a gut busting 15" speaker.

5. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

Nice!! I have been hesitant to use my PJ at rehearsal and usually take my DRRI. This makes me want to give it a shot.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The two are very different! Which I'm sure you know

The PJr gets cooking in a nice way during rehearsals for me. I also use an attenuator to knock of a few dBs.

The only thing I don't like about the PJr for rehearsal is using tremolo with it. The amp is overdriving so the tremolo cleans up the sound more than cutting volume for part of its sweep. The trem in the DRRI is after the preamp and just sounds better.

7. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Gigged my PJ at a small club the other week. It killed. I think I'm going to be using it a lot.

8. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

I want that gold top!!!

johnhe likes this.
  9. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

What To Do?

I am strongly considering a Pro Junior, yes I am!

Are there any advantages in buying the new Pro Junior III besides the front-reading knobs?
    Is a 1990's Blonde made in USA in mint condition with JJ EL 844 power tubes and Tung Sol 12AX7 pre-amp tubes worth $350 ??
    Does this mean anything: removed the zip ties that bundled the wiring in these amps and caused hissing noise problems.
    I twisted together the heater wires. I removed the top center cabinet screw that often caused a noisy grounding problem.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It seems they added some minor improvements in shielding for version 3. The first series also had some different voicing in the circuit to the later ones - more gain being one. The USA one will retain value better I guess.

As for the sellers modifications, it means exactly what it says! Common mods to reduce noise in this amp

11. EllisDee

EllisDee TDPRI Member

Got a 90's USA tweed with blue frame alnico speaker. Picked it up used for £170 but it's like new, still got the stock tubes so I'll probably swap those out for JJ's soon. Lovely amp

12. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Since I stupidly sold my Woody 60th Anniversary (I should have just put a more efficient speaker in it) I am Pro-less, but play one in a jam I attend like every other week. I decided I need one again. I could get a version II for like 300 € locally. I had one of these for a while too and I remember it is pretty noisy. Did they improve that with version III? What do you think, which version sounds best?

13. puke hat roy

puke hat roy Tele-Meister

I bought a new grey tweed pro jr. last month. It had some 60 cycle hum at higher volumes. I replaced V1 valve (vacuum tube) with a 12AT7 and the amp is much more quiet now. I also replaced the power tubes with JJs (Tesla) tubes. The amp has balls for sure. The grey tweed came with a Jensen P10R speaker. The speaker is not yet broken in, but I like what I hear so far. Good luck Nosuch.

aT7

14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

sign me up

I've had my Pro Jr. for a couple years now &, of course I love it. There have been times when it wasn't quite enough, but at least I know that it wasn't me that was too loud. Haven't had any of the noise issues that some of you have suffered,& it sounds good as is, so as interesting as the suggested mods are, I believe I'll wait on those until they prove necessary. Everybody is amazed @ how loud & rich it sounds. Black & silver, MIM, all stock...KILLER!!!

15. Meihdi75

Meihdi75 TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I've just read the all thread...wow...!!!
    I've just bought a PJ, it's the III model.
    Last year i bought an old mexicain model, which was really noisy, even with pricy tubes...i sold it fast and kept 2 ac4tv i played un stéréo...(great !!!). But i found a good deal on this PJ III as it had microphonic tubes..., i first thought to change tubes of course, but then i remembered i had same kind of problem only due to pins of tubes in another amp (fender sf champ 76) and i had to bend a little the pins of the tube..., so i did the same and put dampers on the el84...it solved my problem, no tube microphonic now ! :)
    May be sometimes contact isn't really good with pins and some vibrations can create microphonie...
    So just try to bend slow pins before buying new tubes, it may help too...
    My pj III is not noisy as the old one i had, i really want to keep this ...so great punch, nice clean with a strat'...i really love this amp.
    I recently bought a super champ xd, nice amp, but i really prefer the pj III...i had the bugera v22, really nice amp too, but really big...i sold them quite fast (even if i really liked the v22)
    I have a Weber 10A125 that i will try soon and a Jensen mod 10-35 too (but i dont think this one can be an upgrade over the stock one...but will try it...).
    So really happy with this new amp that fits my needs best than the scxd and v22 (light, little and enough powerfull to have good cleans at good volume...), for lower volume i still have an ac4tv and a bugera v5...

16. Meihdi75

Meihdi75 TDPRI Member

I've just put the Weber 10A125, great speaker, but it doesn't sound a lot différent than the stock éminence v10 30 (same cone), just a little brighter for my ears...and the Weber is 95 db (according to Weber i asked...) and seems to have less volume (good thing for playing at home). So the 10A125 is a good speaker for the pro junior, but the stock speaker is really great too ! :).

17. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Just got mine Thursday. Love it. I'm not going to mess with this speaker, I think it's perfect for it.

Attached Files:

18. DucDone

DucDone Tele-Meister

Choke placement

Hi. Hope I am not intrduding on this thread. I have Pro Junior that I want to put a Weber 9H @ 120ma into. Anyone got an idea wher to put it?

Attached Files:

19. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I love the tones Jeff Beck gets from the PJ. .

20. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I own a Blues jr. can somebody outline the differences? both being 15W tube amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.